5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Resonator delete?

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/12, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Resonator delete?

Going away with resonators, how much drone would I pick up? Will I notice a change in sound?
Old 9/20/12, 06:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I got no drone with my GT500 mufflers when I removed the resonators.
Old 9/20/12, 10:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Awesome, I keep hearing that but I just don't understand how! lol Anyone else?
Old 9/21/12, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The GT500's do not have resonators and there is no drone in those, why would the GT have drone with same mufflers, or at the very least what makes it so hard to believe?
Old 9/21/12, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
The GT500's do not have resonators and there is no drone in those, why would the GT have drone with same mufflers, or at the very least what makes it so hard to believe?
I came from a world of cars that as soon as you lost the resonators the car became un drivable the drone was so bad. Then why did ford even bother to have them in the first place?
Old 9/21/12, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Cool

Originally Posted by slostang
I came from a world of cars that as soon as you lost the resonators the car became un drivable the drone was so bad. Then why did ford even bother to have them in the first place?
The stock H pipe is very restrictive and introduced a pop in the exhaust note. The resonators just attenuated the pop. Replace the stock H pipe with a 3" H or X pipe depending on the sound you want and that pop is gone and it really improves the exhaust sound! And there is no drone at all with the GT500 mufflers.

Edit: After looking at the OP's mods list, removing the resonators with catless long tubes and Roush AB's will increase the drone you already have.

Last edited by Trumpetlon; 9/21/12 at 11:02 AM. Reason: More complete answer for the OP
Old 9/21/12, 06:03 PM
Bullitt Member

U are also from a time when the mufflers were right under ur seat and cabin of car. I think its huge difference with mufflers in rear
Old 9/30/12, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
The stock H pipe is very restrictive and introduced a pop in the exhaust note. The resonators just attenuated the pop. Replace the stock H pipe with a 3" H or X pipe depending on the sound you want and that pop is gone and it really improves the exhaust sound! And there is no drone at all with the GT500 mufflers.

Edit: After looking at the OP's mods list, removing the resonators with catless long tubes and Roush AB's will increase the drone you already have.
That the thing, I picked the parts up off a friends 5.0 that popped CHEAP, I wasn't a fan of his cat-back so my plan was to make the stock OTA work till I found a better idea, and after looking at it if I just lose the restrictive resonators....I wouldn't need a cat back lol
Originally Posted by ssstang67
U are also from a time when the mufflers were right under ur seat and cabin of car. I think its huge difference with mufflers in rear
This is very true, and the muffler was mounted mid cabin.
Old 10/1/12, 05:47 PM

i'm on my second axle back set-up now with my resonators removed. first i had the gt500's and there was no drone at all like others have mentioned. i swapped acle backs with a friend who wasnt a fan of his pypes pype bombs after removing his cats(rode in the car while it still had cats and resonators) and i will say that removing the resonators made them pick up quite a bit of drone. i'm not sure how it will affect your roush a/b's but be aware that you may pick up some drone