Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Rear End Question

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/13, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My local ford dealership gave me a quote to install 3.73 gears the estimate seemed kind of high at $600 for labor. However, the next thing that I was told shocked me the most. I was told that the gear install would void my warranty I told him that I would order FRPP gears and have them installed by the dealership. He informed me that if it wasn't installed from the factory that it would void my warranty. Does this seem right? If so it sounds like Ford doesn't stand behind their products nor do they trust their technicians to install the part correctly. BTW I have a 2013 GT with 3k miles

Last edited by 13gt/cs; 12/9/13 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12/9/13, 07:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I was having gears installed I think I would get it done by a shop rather then a dealer, and I would get a shop that is well versed in installing gears so it was setup correctly. Also I would call BS on that tech since the rear gears shouldn't cause any issues with the rest of the drivetrain.
Old 12/9/13, 07:58 PM

I live in southern New Mexico, haven't found a speed shop in my area. Looks like I might have to look for one in Texas any suggestions? The ford tech did tell me that the gears would have a part warranty, however, if it caused any problems else where that it would void my factory warranty.
Old 12/9/13, 08:11 PM
GTR Member

He's spouting total BS on voiding the warranty.

If, IF, the gear install actually causes an issue somewhere else in the car, then that affected part MIGHT not be covered by the warranty, but the total warranty is not voided.

Their labor quote isn't high for a Ford dealer but I would suggest though that you never go to that dealer for anything ever again.

What part of southern NM are you in? Las Cruces area where you could just run over to El Paso and see a dealer there?

The other thing to consider here is the tuning, once the gears are installed, a dealer can reflash the pcm for the 3.73's since they were a factory available option.

This is a manual transmission car, right?
Old 12/9/13, 08:22 PM

I'm stationed at Holloman AFB. I've always done my own work on my car, however, I've never tackled a gear install before. Thought about doing it myself just didn't want to make a newbie gear install mistake and damage my ride. BTW my car is an auto and I had planned on doing a CAI/Tune along with the gears.
Old 12/10/13, 06:53 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 13gt/cs
I'm stationed at Holloman AFB. I've always done my own work on my car, however, I've never tackled a gear install before. Thought about doing it myself just didn't want to make a newbie gear install mistake and damage my ride. BTW my car is an auto and I had planned on doing a CAI/Tune along with the gears.
You will get WAY, WAY better performance from a high stall converter than you ever will from the gears.

And NO, don't attempt the gear install yourself, even experienced shops sometimes have issues getting a noise free install done.

You could do the converter install yourself, much less technical expertise needed for that.
Old 12/10/13, 10:18 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also a 4x4 shop would be able to setup gears/diff correctly. Don't need a speed shop necessarily.
Old 12/11/13, 02:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Skip the gears, get a converter along with a good tune.
Old 12/12/13, 10:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Skip the gears, get a converter along with a good tune.
+1. Worked for me.
Old 12/13/13, 04:24 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Please educate me... What is the function/purpose of a high stall converter and how does it work?
Old 12/13/13, 09:35 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 13gt/cs
My local ford dealership gave me a quote to install 3.73 gears the estimate seemed kind of high at $600 for labor. However, the next thing that I was told shocked me the most. I was told that the gear install would void my warranty I told him that I would order FRPP gears and have them installed by the dealership. He informed me that if it wasn't installed from the factory that it would void my warranty. Does this seem right? If so it sounds like Ford doesn't stand behind their products nor do they trust their technicians to install the part correctly. BTW I have a 2013 GT with 3k miles
Hi 13gt/cs,

Aftermarket parts will not automatically void “all” of your warranties; however, if it causes a part to fail, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your warranty guide on page 13 for further info, and always speak to your service manager first.

Also, Ford Racing Parts come with their own warranty and if your dealer is a FRPP dealer, they will only honor those aftermarket mods. You can locate one of our FRPP authorized dealers here.

Deysha
Old 12/13/13, 03:39 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Please educate me... What is the function/purpose of a high stall converter and how does it work?
Torque converter "stall" speed is the rpm at which the converter reaches a theoretical hydraulic lock, where by the car either moves or "stalls", although it won't actually die generally.

This allows the motor to idle in gear and accelerate smoothly from a stand still.

By raising the stall speed the engine is able to get higher into the powerband before the car moves, allowing faster acceleration.

In addition, since these cars have "lockup" torque converters, once the car is moving, the pcm will engage a clutch inside the torque converter effectively locking the converter, making a solid engagement between the motor and transmission. This prevents any converter slippage for best economy and efficiency.
Old 12/13/13, 05:19 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Torque converter "stall" speed is the rpm at which the converter reaches a theoretical hydraulic lock, where by the car either moves or "stalls", although it won't actually die generally. This allows the motor to idle in gear and accelerate smoothly from a stand still. By raising the stall speed the engine is able to get higher into the powerband before the car moves, allowing faster acceleration. In addition, since these cars have "lockup" torque converters, once the car is moving, the pcm will engage a clutch inside the torque converter effectively locking the converter, making a solid engagement between the motor and transmission. This prevents any converter slippage for best economy and efficiency.
Thank you for the info.