Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Questions regarding some mods

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/11, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions regarding some mods

I got a 2011 5.0. I got the steed CAI w sct tuner. And magnaflow catback w x pipe. I was thinking about doing a throttle body and long tube headers. Has anyone installed long tubes or a throttle body? If so which model/brand of each you recommend? What gave most gains? Etc...
Old 8/1/11, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Phantomx2
I got a 2011 5.0. I got the steed CAI w sct tuner. And magnaflow catback w x pipe. I was thinking about doing a throttle body and long tube headers. Has anyone installed long tubes or a throttle body? If so which model/brand of each you recommend? What gave most gains? Etc...

in terms of a throttle body, id go with a Kenne Bell Hi-Flo Throttle Body, while its got the same 80mm spacing, its rated to have 20% higher flow than stock. as for headers, theres alot out there right now for the 2011+ mustangs. since youre only looking for headers id go with either Kooks long tube headers or American Racing long tube headers. and also for the headers id go with the 1 7/8" size for the most HP gain.
Old 8/1/11, 11:11 PM

Am I correct when I assume I can just throw on long tubes and keep my magnaflow x pipe n catback?

Also with the throttle body thanks for the info I'll wait till I upgrade intake manifold. I'm gonna wait to see what the boss guys upgrade to.
Old 8/2/11, 09:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Am I correct when I assume I can just throw on long tubes and keep my magnaflow x pipe n catback?

Also with the throttle body thanks for the info I'll wait till I upgrade intake manifold. I'm gonna wait to see what the boss guys upgrade to.

i would call and ask before ordering headers to make sure theyll match up to the magnaflow x-pipe. if they dont, then you might have to buy an x-pipe from where youre buying the headers. most people that have upgraded to the boss manifold use the throttle body that comes with it and just add on a CAI but who knows, maybe something new will come out soon. hope this helps.
Old 8/3/11, 02:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I would stick with the stock TB at this level and go with ARH 1 7/8 LT headers
you will need a different midpipe as the longtubes relocate the cats.

ARH has a offroad or catted X-pipe that will work with the stock exhaust.

I can tell you right now if you have the comp series Magnaflow exhaust it will be super loud with longtubes

you will also want to get a tune with the longtubes to be on the safe side.
Old 8/3/11, 11:25 AM

I do have the comp mangnaflow catback w their x pipe. That's why I wanted to keep the x pipe so it's not like I wasted money on it. If I went w the ARH LT headers I know you said I would need a diff midpipe to relocate the cats but do you know if I would b able to use my magnaflow x pipe w these headers?
Old 8/3/11, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I do have the comp mangnaflow catback w their x pipe. That's why I wanted to keep the x pipe so it's not like I wasted money on it. If I went w the ARH LT headers I know you said I would need a diff midpipe to relocate the cats but do you know if I would b able to use my magnaflow x pipe w these headers?

if you decide to go with the ARH LT headers then youll also have to get one of their x-pipes also. it sucks that youll have the extra magnaflow one but this is the price of modding cars my friend.
Old 8/3/11, 03:54 PM

Which set of headers do you all think is better... Kooks or ARH? I was thinking bout picking up the long tubes then selling my magnaflow x pipe.
Old 8/3/11, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm in the same boat... I want the ARH LT's but it's a shame to swap out my borla x pipe...
Old 8/3/11, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
I'm in the same boat... I want the ARH LT's but it's a shame to swap out my borla x pipe...
I was hoping to buy the set up then bring my magnaflow x pipe to the American muscle show n hopefully someone would buy it from me
Old 8/3/11, 06:24 PM

With the ARH, how much power difference between 1 3/4" and 1 7/8"? And O/R compared to high flow cats?
Old 8/3/11, 08:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

in my opinion, the optimum exhaust system for the 2011+ GT comes from borla. starting with the XR-1 long tube headers, then adding an x-pipe and a full ATAK cat-back system.

for you guys on the fence about headers, its honestly up to you. both kooks and ARH are excellent brands and youd be pleased with either one. obviously going with 1 7/8" is going to net the highest HP increase. hope this helps some.

it sucks for you guys having to swap out your current x-pipe in lieu of having to get a new one to match your new headers.
Old 8/3/11, 10:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm sure if you really want to keep your Magnaflow X pipe a good muffler shop could make it work with the Longtubes but not sure.

I would give ARH a call and see what they say.I'm sure you could sell your X pipe quick since a lot of people are just starting out with mods.

I personally would go with ARH or Stainlessworks only for headers just my preference.
1 7/8 is the way to go and I like X over H with a offroad set up and a chambered muffler

like the stock or GT500 ones.I have the Gibson stainless axlebacks with ARH LT 1 7/8 and o/r X-pipe and the stock pipes before the axles with resonators still inplace.

the sound is downright wicked with no drone on the hwy and only loud when you get on it hard.