Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Questions on Deleting cats

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/13, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on Deleting cats

These are my questions on deleting cats on my 2012 5.0
1-How would you get caught in a state that doesn't have yearly inspections?
2-how do you find someone to do the work? obviously no shop wants to do it?
3- I have heard that it makes a lot of odor? really bad or do you get used to it
4-What % in volume increase would you say I would get as my Borla S-type catback is a little tame for me
Thanks in advanced for any response especially on #1
Old 9/26/13, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is the question you should be asking....

What is the penalty if I get caught?

Well, to answer that you must first understand that removing the cats is a FEDERAL CRIME that carries a maximum penalty of up to a $10,00 per cat fine. Also there may be state or local fines to pay as well.

Will you get caught? Odds are no, at least not until you try to sell the car. Then you'll either have to pay to reinstall them or fully explain in writing that the exhaust system is not legal, otherwise you're liable for it. However, as tiny as the odds may be, if you are ever caught it's going to cost you.

And BTW, no shop is going to remove them. Businesses face a $25,000 per cat fine for removing them or replacing them with a non-EPA approved replacement.
Old 9/26/13, 04:20 PM
GT Member

Let me better answer your questions before officer moustang writes you a ticket...

1. you wont. unless you have cops that lay flat on the ground or make you get an inspection right away. PLENTY of people in the car scene run catless. modern day tuning will shut off the check engine light and no one will ever know you dont run a cat.
2. performance shops do it. all the time. mom and pop shops. they probably wont cut and weld it in for you. plenty of companies make cat delete pipes or off road h/x pipes that bolt right in. just pay them labor to swap.
3. you get used to the odor. its not THAT bad.
4. it does increase sound a pretty good amount to be honest.

HOWEVER,
with all of that being said to calm the thread a little. I am running catless and its not worth it. if you do any modification, spend the money and get highflow cats. even with a supercharger, i wish i had cats but dont want to spend the money on it at the moment. they give backpressure that you need. you main gain a few ponies but at the expense of some torque.

Hope this helps.
Old 9/26/13, 04:29 PM
GT Member

Not to spread FUD, but...

I'm not sure what state the OP lives in, but Ohio is supposed to be rolling out portable exhaust monitoring equipment that they are parking on expressway on ramps.

I was told that they can sample your exhaust as you accelerate past and the gear will photograph any vehicles that are gross polluters. I've not encountered any of these stations yet, but I understand they are coming.
Old 9/26/13, 05:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if you do, don't get the JBA cat deletes.
Old 9/26/13, 05:05 PM
Cobra R Member

also leave the cats and cut out the silencers, i hear people get a great tone with those cut out.
Old 9/26/13, 10:34 PM
Banned

leave the cats, cut out the resonators.

My GTO was catless for the majority of its 7 years of ownership and while my roommate loved to drive my car, her reason for also hating it was "your car stinks.. not like a dead body is in it, but the exhaust smells so bad, especially in the winter"

For so long I wanted to put the cats BACK ON the car, but never got around to finding some 3" high-flow cats that would with with my stainless works headers and mid pipes.

More than once I ALMOST went catless on the new stang, mostly for the nasty sound w/ the cam tune. But I just can't bring myself to do it.
Old 9/26/13, 11:35 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper
HOWEVER,
with all of that being said to calm the thread a little. I am running catless and its not worth it. if you do any modification, spend the money and get highflow cats. even with a supercharger, i wish i had cats but dont want to spend the money on it at the moment. they give backpressure that you need. you main gain a few ponies but at the expense of some torque.

Hope this helps.
To which I'd add, it all depends on the tune and how hard the car is run and how much power your putting down. The consensus with a supercharged car is around 700 RWPH being dicey with the cats and if you run the car pretty hard somewhere south of that.

I think in most N/A applications its better to run the cats and not worry about the hassle if your pulled as the car wont really stress them provided the tune is correct.
Old 9/27/13, 01:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
leave the cats, cut out the resonators. My GTO was catless for the majority of its 7 years of ownership and while my roommate loved to drive my car, her reason for also hating it was "your car stinks.. not like a dead body is in it, but the exhaust smells so bad, especially in the winter" For so long I wanted to put the cats BACK ON the car, but never got around to finding some 3" high-flow cats that would with with my stainless works headers and mid pipes. More than once I ALMOST went catless on the new stang, mostly for the nasty sound w/ the cam tune. But I just can't bring myself to do it.
How would I cut out the resonators? I have a Roush catback exhaust on a 10 GT. Does that have resonators?
Old 9/27/13, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper
Let me better answer your questions before officer moustang writes you a ticket...

1. you wont. unless you have cops that lay flat on the ground or make you get an inspection right away. PLENTY of people in the car scene run catless. modern day tuning will shut off the check engine light and no one will ever know you dont run a cat.
Unless you ever take it to the dealership, a mechanics shop, or try to sell it.

Or a cop pulls up behind you and smells that distinctive smell.

Like I said, you CAN get away with it, at least until you sell the car. However, IF you get caught, the penalty is NOT worth the tiny gain in performance. It would be cheaper to supercharge the engine than pay the fine for removing the cats.
Old 9/27/13, 06:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Moustang
Unless you ever take it to the dealership, a mechanics shop, or try to sell it.

Or a cop pulls up behind you and smells that distinctive smell.

Like I said, you CAN get away with it, at least until you sell the car. However, IF you get caught, the penalty is NOT worth the tiny gain in performance. It would be cheaper to supercharge the engine than pay the fine for removing the cats.
You are exactly right. It's not worth it. Always best to err on the side of caution.
Old 9/27/13, 12:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LMNO
How would I cut out the resonators? I have a Roush catback exhaust on a 10 GT. Does that have resonators?

The bulbous looking part on the left had side, those are resonators/silencers whatever you wanna call them. People cut those out and put a straight pipe in its place to improve sound.
Old 9/27/13, 02:55 PM

I have a Borla S-Type catback kit so I do not have any resonators, and there seems to be a fair bit of reasons not to do delete the cats just to wake up my Borlas so maybe I'll just get the boss sidepipes and be done with it
Thanks for all the Info guys
Old 9/28/13, 12:09 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rmurer
The bulbous looking part on the left had side, those are resonators/silencers whatever you wanna call them. People cut those out and put a straight pipe in its place to improve sound.
When you say cut them how would I go by doing that? Do I make a whole in them lol. If I cut them I will be missing some pipe lol
Old 9/28/13, 12:12 AM
GT Member

Another question I had is if u cut the resonators, will you get more drone?
Old 9/28/13, 08:20 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LMNO
Another question I had is if u cut the resonators, will you get more drone?
Possibly.

You cut them out and have a piece of pipe welded in their place.