5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Question about full exhaust/header set ups.

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/11 | 12:58 AM

Question about full exhaust/header set ups.

I've tried doing some research but I can't seem to find the answer on my own. I'm interested in getting an exaust to improve the sound on my exaust. But I am confused about how the system is setup. Where exactly is the "cat" located and does an x or h pipe go between that and the headers or is it on the stock h pipe itself?
I only ask because I want to stay smog/emissions legal( I live in CA) and not sure what setup would be best for me if I'm unhappy with axlebacks. Thanks.
Old 8/7/11 | 06:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

The exhaust is split up into headers, the h or x pipe with the cats, the the over the axle pipes which contain the resonators, then the axle backs which have the mufflers. You can get an x pipe with high flow cats, and a catback system, or just axle backs. They will be smog legal.
Old 8/7/11 | 09:18 PM
Cobra Member

What year/engine do you have?
Old 8/8/11 | 12:26 AM

12 5.0.
Old 8/9/11 | 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dunarze
I've tried doing some research but I can't seem to find the answer on my own. I'm interested in getting an exaust to improve the sound on my exaust. But I am confused about how the system is setup. Where exactly is the "cat" located and does an x or h pipe go between that and the headers or is it on the stock h pipe itself?
I only ask because I want to stay smog/emissions legal( I live in CA) and not sure what setup would be best for me if I'm unhappy with axlebacks. Thanks.
The cats are attached to the exhaust manifolds. The H-pipe hooks up to the cats. Then there are pipes that run from the H-pipe, back to the rear of the car, over the axle, and mufflers are hooked up to it at the rear of the car.

[exhaust manifold] [cats] [h-pipe] [over axle pipe] [axle back / muffler]

Some aftermarket X/H pipes will replace just the factory H-pipe. Some aftermarket X/H pipes will replace both the factory H-pipe and the cats.
Old 8/10/11 | 12:40 AM

Thanks a lot. That pretty much clear it up for me. X-pipe + borla axle backs it is!
Old 8/11/11 | 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a exhaust question! Im getting the stainless works LT's and offroad x pipe kit! I want my exhaust to be loud but not stupid loud. I'm debating weather to get a axle back system or just leave the stock mufflers. If I do go the axle back route what would be the best system to pair with that set up for max hp and agressive tone? Would a slp loud mouth or muffler delete type axle back make it two loud? And lastly from the back of the xpipe to the connections on any axle back system will I need a tail pipe connection or does that come with the axle back system? Need some professional advise!
Old 8/11/11 | 09:28 PM
V6 Member

Ok, first, when you buy an axle back kit it will come with the hardware to connect to the axle back, stock or otherwise. A muffler delete will probably be a little louder than what your looking for. Also why not just see how it sounds with the stock axle backs/muffler on? A lot of people have been using gt500 mufflers for a better note and what not. I got the stock header and cats on with a straight pipe set up all the way back, no mufflers or resonators, and its not too terribly loud IMO, at least in idle, WOT is another story! But I would try baby stepsm don't change everything out at once. That approach should let you hear the changes your making.

Last edited by klisetron; 8/11/11 at 09:30 PM.
Old 8/12/11 | 07:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by klisetron
Ok, first, when you buy an axle back kit it will come with the hardware to connect to the axle back, stock or otherwise. A muffler delete will probably be a little louder than what your looking for. Also why not just see how it sounds with the stock axle backs/muffler on? A lot of people have been using gt500 mufflers for a better note and what not. I got the stock header and cats on with a straight pipe set up all the way back, no mufflers or resonators, and its not too terribly loud IMO, at least in idle, WOT is another story! But I would try baby stepsm don't change everything out at once. That approach should let you hear the changes your making.
This
Old 8/15/11 | 04:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bmeline916
I have a exhaust question! Im getting the stainless works LT's and offroad x pipe kit! I want my exhaust to be loud but not stupid loud
While my advise is not professional I can help ya out.If you go with longtubes and O/R X and keep the rest of the exhaust stock including resonators and stock mufflers

you will have a nice sound but on the quiet side at idle but pretty loud at WOT.It will sound a lot like the full stainless system with the old chambered mufflers not the newer retro chambered.

I have found the perfect set up for my combo of ARH longtubes with O/R X pipe.I have the stock exhaust with resonators combined with the Gibson axleback in stainless for the 2011/2012 5.0

I have no drone and It's only loud if you want it to be.

unless you are ready to deal with constant attention from the Law be careful choosing your exhaust with longtubes and O/R X or H pipes

because depending on your catback or axleback it will get really loud.If you go with any of the straight through type mufflers like the comp series Magnaflow or similiar it will be louder than you can imagine.
Old 8/16/11 | 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm thinking of putting a rousch Intake and axleback kit to go with the sw longtubes and o/r x pipe setup trying to get a idea on how loud it will be. If anyone has a reference video that could give me perspective on What this setup will sound like. That would be great!
Old 8/16/11 | 11:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Bmeline916
I'm thinking of putting a rousch Intake and axleback kit to go with the sw longtubes and o/r x pipe setup trying to get a idea on how loud it will be. If anyone has a reference video that could give me perspective on What this setup will sound like. That would be great!
Check youtube. I remember seeing one with a similar setup. IMO it sounded horrible. To raspy and poppy, totally lost the muscle car sound the Roush's give. They sound great by themselves. If you really want headers and x-pipe, you might want to go with a chambered muffler. The Gt500s are what a lot of people like with an x - pipe.