Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Problem with Ford Racing/Barton Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/14, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with Ford Racing/Barton Shifter

I had a FRPP/Barton shifter installed when I bought the car, and I always thought it might not have been installed quite right. The reverse lock out was tricky, and it was pretty notchy. (I suspect the dealer just overlooked the note about the 1.8" vs. 2" height issue that precedes the instructions...)

Anyway, the other day, I shifted into 5th, and the shift **** just kept going. The bolt/shaft sheared off right at the base. For the moment, I've got the stock unit on, and I'm shocked by how different it is. It is very sloppy and imprecise, but it is also shockingly easy to shift. I can use one finger. The FRPP part, on the other hand, always required a lot of effort and, in retrospect, I'm not at all surprised that I broke it.

I like the precision of the FRPP shifter, but having gone back to stock, I'm not sure I'll bother. I'm kind of concerned that I'll just end up breaking it again. So my question to you guys, if you don't mind, is this: My experience with the FRPP shifter being notchy and hard to shift wasn't normal, was it? Am I right in thinking it was probably an installation issue? Or, is that just normal for the Barton product?

Thanks in advance.

PS - The guy at the dealership is finding out if he can get it replaced under warranty. I may just opt for the MGW instead...
Old 10/14/14, 08:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Anthony Miller
I had a FRPP/Barton shifter installed when I bought the car, and I always thought it might not have been installed quite right. The reverse lock out was tricky, and it was pretty notchy. (I suspect the dealer just overlooked the note about the 1.8" vs. 2" height issue that precedes the instructions...)

Anyway, the other day, I shifted into 5th, and the shift **** just kept going. The bolt/shaft sheared off right at the base. For the moment, I've got the stock unit on, and I'm shocked by how different it is. It is very sloppy and imprecise, but it is also shockingly easy to shift. I can use one finger. The FRPP part, on the other hand, always required a lot of effort and, in retrospect, I'm not at all surprised that I broke it.

I like the precision of the FRPP shifter, but having gone back to stock, I'm not sure I'll bother. I'm kind of concerned that I'll just end up breaking it again. So my question to you guys, if you don't mind, is this: My experience with the FRPP shifter being notchy and hard to shift wasn't normal, was it? Am I right in thinking it was probably an installation issue? Or, is that just normal for the Barton product?

Thanks in advance.

PS - The guy at the dealership is finding out if he can get it replaced under warranty. I may just opt for the MGW instead...
I don't have a Barton shifter installed but I wouldn't think that is normal. Also depending on how you plan to drive the car I would also look into the Blowfish Bracket, the MGW would probably suit you best if you're only cruising but if you ever plan to track your car I would look into the a fore mentioned bracket.
Old 10/15/14, 06:24 AM

Thanks, Brandon302. That's good advice. And I think you've got to be right that it wasn't normal.
Old 10/16/14, 02:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had some issues when I first installed mine. Turns out the rubber boot wasn't all the way on around the whole housing. It's a pain but once it was on there it was smooth as could be.