5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Oil catch can question

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/13, 02:40 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil catch can question

So I have a jlt oil separator on my passenger side attaching to my intake manifold and on the other side I have a upr oil seperator running to a filter. My question is do I need to run the passenger side to the intake to pull vacuum on that side to even it out since I'm doing it to the other side?
Old 1/10/13, 02:43 PM
GT Member

2011 5.0 with a vortech.
Attached Thumbnails Oil catch can question-image-542526769.jpg   Oil catch can question-image-1974465225.jpg  
Old 1/11/13, 09:45 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to have the PCV line ran from the valve cover to the INTAKE of the supercharger this is so you have a constant vacuum on the pcv system while under boost. The passenger side is fine.
Old 1/12/13, 02:08 PM
GT Member

I was just worried about getting oil in my blower. Which is why I did this set up. I figured it was set up to the intake for a reason though. Thanks for the input.
Old 1/12/13, 08:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JEdwards001
I was just worried about getting oil in my blower. Which is why I did this set up. I figured it was set up to the intake for a reason though. Thanks for the input.

Understood but that is what the can is there to do. To stop oil from getting in the supercharger. Under boost the crankcase can see postive pressure (boost) and must go somewhere. By using the s/c as a vaccum it helps to get rid of the pressure and help keep the rings sealed better. The can is there to stop oil from going in to the intake track. I normally put something that absorbs liquids/mist in the can for added insurance.
Old 1/12/13, 09:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by djstorm100

Understood but that is what the can is there to do. To stop oil from getting in the supercharger. Under boost the crankcase can see postive pressure (boost) and must go somewhere. By using the s/c as a vaccum it helps to get rid of the pressure and help keep the rings sealed better. The can is there to stop oil from going in to the intake track. I normally put something that absorbs liquids/mist in the can for added insurance.
Good reasoning behind it and very possibly the reason I've had a slight high rpm knock..... Plus one about putting something in the can to help insure it doesn't get oil. Past it. Thanks again very helpful advice from you guys.
Old 1/13/13, 06:43 AM
V6 Member

Good reasoning behind it and very possibly the reason I've had a slight high rpm knock..... Plus one about putting something in the can to help insure it doesn't get oil. Past it. Thanks again very helpful advice from you guys.
Glad I could help!
Old 1/13/13, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by djstorm100

I'm using an oil catch can with my Roush s/c set up but dont have anything in the can to absorb the vapors. Looking for that "something" to put in my can. Please reply with specifics of what to get and where to get it. Much Thanks!
Old 1/13/13, 02:41 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SB302

I'm using an oil catch can with my Roush s/c set up but dont have anything in the can to absorb the vapors. Looking for that "something" to put in my can. Please reply with specifics of what to get and where to get it. Much Thanks!
You can put something as simple as a sponge anything that will absorb liquid is all you need.
Old 1/14/13, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering a plastic scrubby or a copper scrubber. Anyone have experience with either one and if so were there any pros or cons?
Old 1/14/13, 12:29 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gentlemen... please... its an OIL SEPARATOR! With an air compressor it's a WATER SEPARATOR! Siince the beginning of the industrial age. They are used in a variety of industries from factories to municipalities to food service companies, etc., and NO ONE calls them the infantile "catch can". Ask a machinist.

Whoever came up with this "catch can" phrase is showing their to TMS members and mechanics.

With all due respect.
Old 1/14/13, 12:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Gentlemen... please... its an OIL SEPARATOR! With an air compressor it's a WATER SEPARATOR! Siince the beginning of the industrial age. They are used in a variety of industries from factories to municipalities to food service companies, etc., and NO ONE calls them the infantile "catch can". Ask a machinist.

Whoever came up with this "catch can" phrase is showing their to TMS members and mechanics.

With all due respect.
I've seen it called both ways. I put in oil separator on many different websites looking for different kinds and not much popped up. Then it seemed that catch can had more hits. So I was just making my post to get help with the function not the "correct" way to say it. However if you knew what we meant why make a big deal about it?
Old 1/14/13, 12:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm with you 001, right or wrong the majority of people seem to call it a catch can, I can live with it.
Old 1/14/13, 12:44 PM
Post *****

However if you knew what we meant why make a big deal about it?
Education. That's what TMS is about.

Do a search here. "Catch can" is relatively new from uninformed newbies to mustangs and tms as of late. As compared to the correct term oil sep which there are numerious older threads.

I mean - why don't we call camshafts "lumpy valve stem pushers"??
Old 1/14/13, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

What is a lumpy valve stem?
Old 1/14/13, 12:50 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Mustang259
I'm with you 001, right or wrong the majority of people seem to call it a catch can, I can live with it.
The only so called 'majority' are those who are uninformed and probably have never set foot in a machine shop or been around mechanics. But I bet they are really good internet racers!! lol

So if you want to sound like a kindergartner fondling his colored wax stick/crayon, be my guest.
Old 1/14/13, 01:01 PM
GT Member

Your right I'm 25 with a college degree working at the hospital so no I haven't ever set foot in a shop to work. I didn't have the privilege of growing up with a mechanic father or friend. I had to learn on my on through tv, Internet, and magazines. However my car with bolt-ons and a supercharger was put together by me and the only in shop work on it was the tune. The rest was 100% me. Plus if you'll read my first post on this page I called them seperators the name of the post was to make sure people understood what it was so I could get as many answers as possible since that came up most in my searches. So thanks for your low intellectual teaching lesson and ill take my crayons and go color now.
Old 1/14/13, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

It's funny, I am a perfectionist and like things done the right way, but people are people and they don't always live by my rules.
I think that is really the point, the world and the info in it are not a perfect place, so I guess I can live with catch can. LOL
Old 1/14/13, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

001 that is way more impressive than me, I am pretty much worthless on auto mechanics, put me in a house fire and I will show you a thing or two, so you are definitely a level or two above me, I would not even tackle a supercharger.
Pretty cool in my opinion!
Old 1/14/13, 04:50 PM

So now, back to my question on the previous page please if anyone has suggestions?

Quick Reply: Oil catch can question