Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

off road x pipe on an automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/11, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
off road x pipe on an automatic?

So i have a 2011 5.0 with an auto tranny. I have the flowmaster American thunder axel back and no resonators. I was thinking about getting an off road x pipe but everyone says ill lose alot of low end torque because autos need the back pressure for low end torque as opposed to stick. Is this true? I really want my car to be louder but I don't wanna lose low end torque. Any suggestions on what I can do to my current setup for better sound and performance? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 4/3/17, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathSpawn619
So i have a 2011 5.0 with an auto tranny. I have the flowmaster American thunder axel back and no resonators. I was thinking about getting an off road x pipe but everyone says ill lose alot of low end torque because autos need the back pressure for low end torque as opposed to stick. Is this true? I really want my car to be louder but I don't wanna lose low end torque. Any suggestions on what I can do to my current setup for better sound and performance? Thanks in advance for the help.
Ohhhhh, so is that why I lost all my low end torq after installing and off-road h pipe onto my automatic??
Old 4/4/17, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathSpawn619
I have an Off Road (BBK) X-Pipe on my 2013 GT Premium Auto, It sounds good, a little raspy though, probably more so on your car without resonators. I didn't lose (Seat of the pants) any low end torque that I could tell. That being said, I'm now going to a Kooks Long tube headers 1-3/4", GREEN Catted H-Pipe with my Roush Axle Backs, I want more of the muscle car rumble rather than the raspy X-Pipe, but that's my choice, you may love the X-Pipe sound.

Last edited by tourer; 4/5/17 at 09:38 AM.
Old 4/4/17, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm not well versed in X or H pipes so I need to ask a question. Why don't they use true dual exhaust with no cross over anymore on street cars. If you run open headers at the strip its true dual exhaust. very short exhaust but dual.
If you did that with todays engine would it hurt something motor wise??
Old 4/7/17, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boss man
I'm not well versed in X or H pipes so I need to ask a question. Why don't they use true dual exhaust with no cross over anymore on street cars. If you run open headers at the strip its true dual exhaust. very short exhaust but dual.
If you did that with todays engine would it hurt something motor wise??
Crossovers balance the exhaust between sides, which increases power. The firing order of the 11+ 5.0, for example, is 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2. You'll notice that it fires twice on the same side at times(8-6 and 2-1). The crossover helps equal out that pressure to the other side.

Open headers don't need help with pressure, as the headers exit to the open air before or at the same location a crossover would be needed.

I wouldn't hurt the engine, at least not significantly as far as I could think. It would just produce less power and sound worse.
The following users liked this post:
boss man (4/8/17)