Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

nuB to mods - '13 GT Boss 302 Mani + axle-backs

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/23, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nuB to mods - '13 GT Boss 302 Mani + axle-backs

hey all,

first off, thanks in advance for any help/suggestions. I've had a 2013 GT, vert 6spd for a couple years now, luv it, and also discovered that Mustang drivers are a super friendly bunch. We're always saying hi to each other, flashing lights as we drive by. Very Cool! It's like I'm now a member of the Club and can always talk to a fellow driver about car stuff.

Now I've got the bug to mod it, and am just starting out, a complete rookie. Appreciate any/all suggestions you'd offer

So far I only have Axlebacks - Pype Bombs, love the sound. Am interested in getting the following, to improve the sound and though I know I'll get HP increases, that's not my main focus. Am not planning on dropping the car, don't want any clearance issues. Depending on what happens performance/handling wise, I may stagger tires - but not decided yet. I live in Connecticut, in the Northwest Berkshires piedmont area (abso-effin-excellent roads for driving with the top down!).

Boss 302 intake manifold (bet 15-50)
Cold Air intake (bet 5 - 15)
Shorty headers ( ?, especially since i have axlebacks and not a catback muffler)
Tune, prob the Bama

would like to know roughly what HP gains I get from each of the above, see if it matches the above numbers in parens. I'm not completely sure, but I think, since I don't have catbacks, it won't be much.

tx, looking forward to your comments

CGVet58
Old 3/3/23, 06:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. There are existing threads on here about most of these topics, you can learn a lot by browsing the existing threads or using the "search" (top right).

You've already done the biggest mod for sound -- the mufflers. The other things you listed might make a small difference in sound, especially the headers; but generally not a huge difference.

There is no major difference or advantage with "cat back" exhaust -- this just means a "better" pipe between the cats and the muffler, but the difference/improvement is very small, personally I would not waste my money on "cat back" unless I was doing a major high-dollar build and wanted "everything."

Boss intake manifold will lose a little torque down low and gain a little HP up high in the RPM's; it was designed for the Boss as a track car that spends most of its time on track at high RPM's (like 5,000 or above). It might make a small difference to sound but I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Your car already has a cold air intake from the factory. Aftermarket "open box" CAI will probably increase intake sound a little. HP gains probably pretty close to your guess. They do look cool under the hood.

I think the shorty headers might be worth a few HP and will affect the sound, not sure how much.

For simple stuff Bama is probably OK for the tune, but you might want to look elsewhere before you decide. Some other folks can chime in with suggestions on better tuners.