5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Not a typical exhaust thread, why upgrade stock H pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/14, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Not a typical exhaust thread, why upgrade stock H pipe?

First I know there are a ton of exhaust questions threads etc. out there but they talk about sound and brands and are usually convoluted with defenses of products/brands.

I don't want any info on brands or noise level I just want your opinions on WHY I should upgrade my stock h pipe to an aftermarket or custom h pipe?

I have already changed the axle backs and like them but I always look for ways to improve and increase performance, does the stock h pipe inhibit performance?

So for the exhaust experts out there, what do you think?
Old 6/12/14, 01:08 PM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang259
First I know there are a ton of exhaust questions threads etc. out there but they talk about sound and brands and are usually convoluted with defenses of products/brands.

I don't want any info on brands or noise level I just want your opinions on WHY I should upgrade my stock h pipe to an aftermarket or custom h pipe?

I have already changed the axle backs and like them but I always look for ways to improve and increase performance, does the stock h pipe inhibit performance?

So for the exhaust experts out there, what do you think?
Mustang259

That's a good question and if you have the mod bug you're looking to get the most out of your Coyote upgrading to an Aftermarket H-Pipe is a great idea. I 100% agree with you on the overabundance of threads back and forth over tone, brand and noise, it's kinda like beating the horse.

They're all going to give you the same if not identical amount of volume but the H is better at balancing sound and will have that much of a better growl. Customers predominantly shoot for the X based on sound or the fact that it's going to make slightly better power. H's will maintain the back pressure necessary for torque gains earlier in the rpm band as opposed to something top end gains experienced on X's.

At the end of the day it's going to come down to the brand and what you want to spend! Personally I think the H is better sounding and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it as well!

-Alex
Old 6/12/14, 01:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus

At the end of the day it's going to come down to the brand and what you want to spend! Personally I think the H is better sounding and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it as well!

-Alex
The rasp of X's suck. H-pipe all the way for great V8 tone!
Old 6/12/14, 01:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I loved the X paired with a chambered muffler on the 4.6 SN95 cars. On the S197s and Foxes I prefer the H and chambered combo...
Old 6/12/14, 02:36 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Having mixed and matched catbacks and axlebacks I'm with you on that. I find that the H is not only more muscular sounding but it's just a rare combination to see on the streets or in person. Granted you make a hair more hp/tq with an X the H gets the job done really nicely!

-Alex
Old 6/13/14, 05:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the input, H pipe it is, and I am looking at a catted H pipe with hi flow converter, will I need to tune the car or will it adjust its self?
Old 6/13/14, 07:35 AM
Former Vendor

Thanks for the input, H pipe it is, and I am looking at a catted H pipe with hi flow converter, will I need to tune the car or will it adjust its self?
Mustang259.

You're very welcome! That's a good question and I would personally recommend doing so as the exhaust flow is going to need to be optimized. I've used SCT Products on a variety of projects over the years and the Bama SF4/X4 Tuner is hands down the easiest to use in comparison to some of the other alternatives we carry.

Regarding the H-Pipe I'm not sure what direction you're heading but I've heard Magnaflows Catted Tru-X in person and it was pretty jaw dropping! Depending on what style Axle-Back it would be paired with you can really tailor the sound for what you're after. Going with a delete would give a higher pitched, metallic, snap crackle & pop sound in comparison to a chambered (Flowmaster American Thunder AxleBack for Example) which would be a little more watered down as it's going to have a fair amount of material packed in the muffler.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions and shoot me a PM if you're having the order placed soon and I'll get you set up with a discount code.

-Alex

Last edited by AMAlexLazarus; 6/13/14 at 07:38 AM.
Old 6/14/14, 07:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the response but not a clear answer, would a catted H pipe require a new tune, require is the key word and h pipe is the second key, Im going with a h pipe, no x pipes, and I am really not thrilled about getting a tune until warranty is up.
Again I appreciate the response but Im still not sure of the answer.
Old 6/14/14, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

If the cats are aftermarket high flowing, more than likely yes.
Old 6/14/14, 10:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Womprat
If the cats are aftermarket high flowing, more than likely yes.
Not to mention the 3" diameter.
Old 6/15/14, 04:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Well that sinks my ship, not gonna get the h pipe until I am comfortable with getting a tune. If I hadn't had so much trouble with my PCM throwing false codes when I first got the car, I probably wouldn't hesitate, but I could see Ford rejecting any future claims if I did a tune.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 6/15/14, 10:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well that sinks my ship, not gonna get the h pipe until I am comfortable with getting a tune. If I hadn't had so much trouble with my PCM throwing false codes when I first got the car, I probably wouldn't hesitate, but I could see Ford rejecting any future claims if I did a tune. Thanks for all the input.
Yeah just stick with the catback for now if you're not going to tune. You already have the h-pipe sound, it's just the flow that you'd need to tune for.