5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

NEW PRODUCT Barton Shifter Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/11, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starbai
...but I'm wondering if every time I make a shift if I'll be thinking (shoulda dropped the extra hundred on the Barton)
Every time...? I'm hoping that is an embellishment.
Old 1/21/11, 10:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Every time...? I'm hoping that is an embellishment.
Old 1/22/11, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK Guys here is the install video as promised. I will answer all the other questions when I get some more time, the wife is giving me the evil eye for being gone all day and now I'm on the computer. HAHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hjZkbK3vls
Old 1/22/11, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

would you recommend anti-seize on the bolts? I'm thinking that years down the road when I sell, I'd pull it off and put the stock shifter/bracket on.
Old 1/22/11, 10:17 PM
Bullitt Member

that did it i'm in for both shifter and bracket on order
Question can i use the Aluminum shift ball that can with my 401A optioned interior car Thanks when can i look for the shifter to be in stock later this month ?
Thanks
RM
Old 1/25/11, 05:02 AM
V6 Member

I just installed my barton shifter last weekend....I notice a-lot of NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) especially when my hand rests on the shifter between shifts. Not a lot of pressure......just resting.
I did notice quite a bit of flex in the oem bracket....and I tried shifting BEFORE re-installing the bracket...(just because I like to see if things work before buttoning every thing up) I couldn't get it into the gears cuz of the slop without the bracket, so then I noted how important this bracket could be.
this product makes all the sense in the world. $80 bucks is a little steep...so I'll wait till I install my catbacks then I'll take the 2 minutes to install this bracket.
still waiting on my custom shift **** from Grabber Pony I ordered on the 10th....hopefully it'll be worth the wait....
not sure how to post pics...but will do I try to insert a pic and it tells me to look for a url ? how do I post a pic from my hard drive ?
Old 1/25/11, 06:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wally10
I just installed my barton shifter last weekend....I notice a-lot of NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) especially when my hand rests on the shifter between shifts. Not a lot of pressure......just resting.
I did notice quite a bit of flex in the oem bracket....and I tried shifting BEFORE re-installing the bracket...(just because I like to see if things work before buttoning every thing up) I couldn't get it into the gears cuz of the slop without the bracket, so then I noted how important this bracket could be.
this product makes all the sense in the world. $80 bucks is a little steep...so I'll wait till I install my catbacks then I'll take the 2 minutes to install this bracket.
still waiting on my custom shift **** from Grabber Pony I ordered on the 10th....hopefully it'll be worth the wait....
not sure how to post pics...but will do I try to insert a pic and it tells me to look for a url ? how do I post a pic from my hard drive ?

As you already bought a Barton Shifter, if you purchase the bracket from their main website, you get refunded $29. All you have to do is include a note with your order indicating you already have a Barton Shifter.

The Grabber Pony ***** are absolutely amazing quality. I've had mine in Kona Blue (large size) for months now, and it's great.

On a side note, you shouldn't ride with your hand on the shifter. The increased NVH you are hearing (when your hand is on the ****) is the premature wear of your syncros. Even a little pressure on the ****, over time, will cause damage.
Old 1/25/11, 07:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Barton, I don't see it on your product page but can you guys do a package deal of the shifter, shift **** and bracket?
Old 1/25/11, 10:38 AM
V6 Member

Kona...thanks!! that's cool they offer a $29 refund.
I'm more about looking forward to the shift **** than I am complaining about the wait !!! (just wanted to be clear for Mark at Grabber Pony)

I've been making it a point not to ride with my hand on the ****...
haha
did I just say that ?
Old 1/25/11, 02:22 PM
Banned

Hey Guys, I wish I could do a group buy for you guys, but we use different dealers that carry inventory, and I dont feel that would be fair to them. But I have put a combo together with a discount.

wally10- Make sure you installed the boot like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUGeg...&feature=feedu If you didn't it will cause extra noise, and will also give you reverse issues.

FastRedPonyCar- Yes, I will edit the website to give an option of a complete package with the shift ****.

Rodmoe- The 401a ball will work perfect with our shifter.

Thanks for the orders. I have already started shipping them, and the shifters will be going out tomorrow.

Last edited by Barton Industries; 1/25/11 at 02:25 PM.
Old 1/25/11, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Already got the shipping notification of my bracket. It's going to be here on Thursday, and I can't wait!
Old 1/25/11, 03:53 PM
GTR Member

I find it very disappointing that you can offer a $29 discount to those who bought your shifter, but you can't set up a temporary group buy for members of a forum that support you.
Old 1/25/11, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 5.0GT
I read on another forum about a guy who has the Barton shifter, and now he's got the bracket, too. He loved the Barton shifter before, but is now freakin' amazed how it shifts with the new bracket. Good enough for me, I ordered the bracket this morning.
HAHA, that was me. It really does add a total different feel the car. It kinda makes it feel like a toggle switch, click click

Originally Posted by Overboost
I find it very disappointing that you can offer a $29 discount to those who bought your shifter, but you can't set up a temporary group buy for members of a forum that support you.
Dude its a $29 difference, you can buy a $30,000-$40,000 car but your going to complain about $29 on a part that is going to eliminate a crapy factory bracket that is held together with zip ties.
Why are we losing manufacturing in the USA? Because people want to pay made in China prices.

For those that bought the shifter already Dave made it right. He made a combo buy and has honored the combo price for those that already bought the shifter. Ive dealt with a lot of companies that wouldn't do that.

Dave installed the bracket on my car himself. I can tell you I would have paid double the price knowing what kind of difference it has made.

If I was a dealer who bought a bunch of brackets from Barton, and then they offered a Group buy I wouldn't be to happy. I think Barton Is doing the right thing.
Just my 2cents.
Old 1/25/11, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Overboost
Wow! 43,000 car and your complaining about a $29 part that will prove your car further...and here I thought my grandma was a penny pusher! Hahahahahaha
Old 1/25/11, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Eh maybe said $40K car is why 30 bucks is now all of a sudden a big deal?
Old 1/25/11, 10:24 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Jim2011
Dude its a $29 difference, you can buy a $30,000-$40,000 car but your going to complain about $29 on a part that is going to eliminate a crapy factory bracket that is held together with zip ties.
Why are we losing manufacturing in the USA? Because people want to pay made in China prices.
Originally Posted by Daddyd666
Wow! 43,000 car and your complaining about a $29 part that will prove your car further...and here I thought my grandma was a penny pusher! Hahahahahaha
First, let me say this. The product looks like a great piece, and definitely addresses a known weak point on the vehicle.

My previous post was not about cost, but rather about principle. Other vendors use forums like TMS as a springboard to get their products out and let the word of mouth solicit their items faster and farther than print media will. There's evidence of that right in this thread. Those of you who have/will have the bracket are proof positive that the formula works.
On the other hand, for the "free" marketing we provide as forum members, not doing a gesture of good faith, such as a group buy for a product launch, is somewhat disrespectful IMO. It's a give-take relationship. Even if it was $10 off for the first 14 days, it would be a good gesture as a vendor on here.

Now, that said, after looking at such a piece, and putting together the facts, offering something like $10 off would be no big deal for Barton. If they can easily give $29 off for those ordering a short shifter, then $10 is a drop in the bucket in return. It's a great way to get the word out quickly and spread buzz about something like this.

DaddyD, Jim - It's a $29 difference, not a $29 part (not MSRP at least). Trust me when I say this, I wouldn't buy a $38k vehicle and mod it if I didn't have the financial stability to do so.

Hopefully you understand my position on the subject. You may not agree with me, but that's my $.02
Old 1/26/11, 05:29 AM

You do realize, vendors have to pay a FEE to even post here right? Its because of those Fees we even have forums to post on anyway.

If I post good feedback on a product its because I want people to know how good it is, and I Expect Nothing in return. And it also works both ways, if a product sucks we will let people know that too.

I think your barking up the wrong tree here anyway. Barton Is the Manufacturer, I think you would have to talk to one of Bartons dealers if you wanted a group buy. You wont see Hurst on here offering a group buy but you will see different dealers doing it.
I think the Fact they let you try the shifter and bracket for FREE is way better than any group buy anyway.
Old 1/26/11, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, consider this. If an aftermarket dealer (let's use American Muscle as an example) purchased a whole load of these shifters, do you think it was at the same $299.99/each price tag we pay? No, because AM resells it for that same price. Dealers like AM obviously buy the items at a reduced cost already - likely lower than any group buy would have been.

I don't think a group buy would be stepping on any toes, but at the same time, I can understand why he has chosen to not go that route. Offering to buy it back if you don't like it, and offering the combo packs (shifter/****, shifter/bracket, shifter/****/bracket, etc) is way above and beyond what most aftermarket parts companies do already. While a group buy would probably be greatly effective, in the end it's his choice, and we should all respect that.
Old 1/26/11, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

ok here is a dumb question how do you keep the group in group buy straight ? i mean what if i was just lurking or only just joined to get the group buy but not give back anything to the group in the way of feedback or a funny story. And being a noob here i guess i dont have much history with group buys so flame on if you like but i had to ask lol
Old 1/26/11, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rodmoe
ok here is a dumb question how do you keep the group in group buy straight ? i mean what if i was just lurking or only just joined to get the group buy but not give back anything to the group in the way of feedback or a funny story. And being a noob here i guess i dont have much history with group buys so flame on if you like but i had to ask lol
none of that is really relevant in group buys. it's a simple matter of moving a bigger volume of product and offering a slight discount to everyone in the group.

a lot of times a company will need to buy XX number of units from the manufacturer to get a certain price from them and a group buy on a forum is an easy way to meet that sales number even if they sell them at a discount to the forum members. They make money and they sell the product and the forum gets discounts and everyone wins.

The barton situation may be different though since barton themselves sell the product.

Edit: also, for most group buy's I've either seen or been part of, MOST of the time it's a brand new product hitting the market that the manufacturer is trying to move a quick burst of their product to get the word out and a lot of the time, the group buys will hit you when you're not financially prepared to buy on a whim.

Last edited by FastRedPonyCar; 1/26/11 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: NEW PRODUCT Barton Shifter Bracket