5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

NEW PRODUCT Barton Shifter Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/11, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read on another forum about a guy who has the Barton shifter, and now he's got the bracket, too. He loved the Barton shifter before, but is now freakin' amazed how it shifts with the new bracket. Good enough for me, I ordered the bracket this morning.
Old 1/19/11, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
Ahhh, my bad. I can get some pics/video of the bracket install with our next shipment of them. Barton may interject (if they already have them done).
Thanks.

But after rewatching the video you posted it doesn't seem like it would be to hard. I wonder if you need to take apart the center console before you climb underneath to swap out the brackets.
Old 1/19/11, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

does this bracket work with the Tri-ax shifter?

I ask because I've read nothing but outstanding reviews on both it and the barton shifter and simply from a price perspective, I plan on getting the steeda shifter.

If the overall shifting can be further improved with this new bracket, I'd like to knock both out at the same time.
Old 1/19/11, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW, lots of posts already. I will try to address everything.

PRICE- We do our absolute best to keep the cost down as much as possible. We understand not everyone will like the price, but if it was $20 somebody would only want to pay $10. These are machined not cast or stamped so there are a lot of additional costs associated with that. Everything we make has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Install it and use it, if you dont think it was worth the money or you dont like it, return it in 30 days for a FULL refund, EVEN Shipping. NO Questions asked.

Install- It's pretty simple but it does require getting under the car. It should only take about 20 minutes. Im going to be coming in on Saturday to do a install video so look for that Saturday evening. Shotzy- Its all done from below, just a few bolts.

Caps- The shifter itself, functions the same way as the factory one. Just push down on the **** to get into reverse. We use a stiffer spring to help prevent you from
accidentally going into reverse.

Barton Vs Steeda- "Long stroke" you work for Steeda, and Im not going to get into which shifter is better and way. You guys make good products and I even use a lot of your suspension stuff on my personal cars, but, this thread is about a shifter bracket and not the shifter itself. Anybody running your Steeda shifter will benefit from this bracket.

Ltngdrvr- I put this in the 5.0 section because there was not a place specific to the 2011 V6. It only works on the 2011's so I didnt want to post it in the 2010+ section, but I did post it in the Vendors section.

I hope all this helps.
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by Barton Industries; 1/19/11 at 12:16 PM.
Old 1/19/11, 12:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Great post Dave. I'll be picking one of these up in near future - I knew something like this would come along eventually!
Old 1/19/11, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh hey, just checked out Barton's site. I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but..if you purchase the shifter and the shifter bracket as a package deal, you get $30.00 off, for a total of $350.00 for the short shifter and the bracket.

(Using American Muscle prices):

$215.00 for the Steeda Tri-Ax plus $80.00 for the bracket will run you to $295.00 for Steeda's shifter and the bracket. Honestly, for a difference of $55.00, I don't see what all the fuss is about regarding Barton's being "overpriced"

Barton is obviously a much, much smaller company than Steeda. I wouldn't doubt that they are both equal in craftsmanship, it's just that Steeda can afford to produce it without so much mark-up from R&D.

Barton's return policy with no questions asked, including shipment refund would be the selling point for me. I have and will continue to buy Steeda parts because the quality and customer service is excellent; For this particular product, I would have to go Barton.

Last edited by KonaBlue5.0; 1/19/11 at 12:44 PM.
Old 1/19/11, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Great.

Looks like I will need those instructions as I just ordered the part.
Old 1/19/11, 01:05 PM

I've replaced the bushings/brackets in all my vehicles shifters. It makes a huge difference in precision and missed shifts. The stock unit is not only generally built as cheaply as possible like absolutely everything out of sight, but built with softer elastomer to dampen out noise and vibration. Purchasing harder stiffer brackets might increase the buzz felt through the shifter fractionally, but its going to be one of the most gratifying upgrades you can do for your driving experience.

Barton's gear looks high quality, I love me some smooth CNC aluminum. I was planning on ordering up a full kit from them but CHP has different plans for my discretionary spending this month.....
Old 1/19/11, 01:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've been a Steeda fan for 14 years and of course I bought the Tri-Ax when it came out. Few weeks later Barton came out with theirs and I was impressed, and had I not bought the Steeda piece I would have had to flip a coin. Now Barton comes along with a bracket that should make shifting better and will work with the Steeda shifter. It also has a no questions asked 30 return policy. What more can you ask for? The man said "Anybody running your Steeda shifter will benefit from this bracket". With that, I'm going to pull the trigger on this bracket and post a review once I get it. I just hope they include some good instructions.
Old 1/19/11, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Might be a dumb question... but... can you use the factory shift **** with the barton short shifter?

Old 1/19/11, 01:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The ONLY concern I would have with this bracket is increased NVH, however that would be common to any bracket for this application offering a stiffer durometer or solid bushing.
Old 1/19/11, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I've done something quite similar on one of my previous cars, and there was definitely a noticeable buzz - think dogbox, the 'whine' they make, just no where near as pronounced.

My father, 55 yrs old or so at the time and my mother, 49 at the time, were both unable to detect the buzz. My then-24 yr old sister was able to hear it, as was I, so we can determine it is a high frequency noise, but not everyone will notice/be bothered by it. I personally love the raw sound of a transmission, then again I ran solid motor mounts on a couple previous cars, so
Old 1/19/11, 02:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 06GT
The ONLY concern I would have with this bracket is increased NVH, however that would be common to any bracket for this application offering a stiffer durometer or solid bushing.
I didn't think about this.

Barton, what's the word on NVH?
Old 1/19/11, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivan 5.0
Might be a dumb question... but... can you use the factory shift **** with the barton short shifter?

Not a dumb question... the Barton shift accepts the factory shift **** and also maintains factory height.
Old 1/20/11, 06:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by shadowstang03gt
how much another $300 part, like your shifter that is over priced.
You seem like a guy that would probably complain about a free meal taking too long to cook.

$50 difference between the Tri-Ax ($249.95) and the Barton Industries one ($299.00). I would HARDLY call that over priced seeing how the technology it uses is levels ahead of everything else on the market.

The short shifter is worth every penny. You probably don't own one, so you wouldn't know this. The throws are so short and so crisp, that the car feels like a whole new animal.

Sounds like somebody peed in your cheerios...

Originally Posted by shotzy
How hard is the install on this product? That may be the deciding factor here at least for me.
The install is quite simple compared to short shifters i've done on other rigs. 4 bolts, swap a bushing... that's about it.

The directions suggest loosening the shifter bracket under the car to give the shifter enough play to reach one bolt that is otherwise hidden below the sheet metal.

Just to give you an idea of how flimsy the OEM bracket is, I was able to get enough play out of it, where I didn't have to remove the bracket as suggested in the install instructions. The other option is you can notch the sheet metal to gain clear access to the 4th bolt.

I didn't think that you could really tighten up the shifting any more then what Barton has already done, but after this post, and realizing just how bad the OEM bracket is, definitely going to have to order one of these to go with my Barton short shifter.

Last edited by tehMoose; 1/20/11 at 06:33 AM.
Old 1/20/11, 03:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I didn't think about this.

Barton, what's the word on NVH?
I havent noticed any increase in NVH at all. If there is any, it is VERY slight.
Old 1/20/11, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Is there any chance for special pricing for mustang source members or possible group buy pricing?
Old 1/20/11, 07:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I will be getting one of these for sure.
Old 1/20/11, 08:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by alcarames
Is there any chance for special pricing for mustang source members or possible group buy pricing?
+1 on the group buy
Old 1/21/11, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by caps
is this the shifter that doesnt have a reverse lockout pin or something like that?
Sorry this question was already answered.

I'd be verrry interested in a group buy as well if it'll save a few dollars!

I'm going to be purchasing a **** from grabberpony in conjunction with this Shifter and bracket (if the barton is the way I choose to go)

The question is, what is the thread pattern that I have to tell them to make this **** in to work with this short shifter?

Also, will I be able to use their boot adapter with this short shifter?

Thanks!

Last edited by starbai; 1/21/11 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: NEW PRODUCT Barton Shifter Bracket