Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

New clutch installed, having a problem.

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/13, 09:20 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New clutch installed, having a problem.

Hey guys I had a Exedy Mach 600 Clutch and Aluminium Flywheel installed along with the JHR Clutch line on my 2013 mustang gt

The problem I am having is this, when i push in the clutch it wont go into first gear now with the clutch still pushed in if i put it back to neutral than into first gear it goes in. Or if i put it into another gear other than first gear than to first it will go into first.

It is on the initial try that it wont go into first gear. It is pretty annoying and i did not have this problem before the new clutch install. I also have a barton shifter.

The guy who installed it said maybe we can try changing the tranny fluid to see if that fixes it? Do you guys maybe know whats wrong?
Old 3/3/13, 06:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Two things it could be. First and most common is that with a lighter fly, the gears sometimes don't fully align in neutral. So you can't put it in gear but when you try again it goes. You basically have to force the alignment. New fluid may help bit it won't fully fix it.

If you test this you will notice that when driving then coming to a stop, but LEAVING the clutch pedal pushed in, it will smoothly go into first every time. Doing the same test but releasing the pedal at the stop, then pressing to go into first is when you'll have the issue.

The second thing could be that the clutch disk is to thick. Even by .001". This is causing the clutch to not fully disengage. It's more common than you'd think but I'd still think its the first one that you're experiencing.
Old 3/3/13, 09:05 AM
GT Member

thanks man, how do i force the alignment? does the tranny have to be dropped again to fix it?

Originally Posted by typesredline
Two things it could be. First and most common is that with a lighter fly, the gears sometimes don't fully align in neutral. So you can't put it in gear but when you try again it goes. You basically have to force the alignment. New fluid may help bit it won't fully fix it.

If you test this you will notice that when driving then coming to a stop, but LEAVING the clutch pedal pushed in, it will smoothly go into first every time. Doing the same test but releasing the pedal at the stop, then pressing to go into first is when you'll have the issue.

The second thing could be that the clutch disk is to thick. Even by .001". This is causing the clutch to not fully disengage. It's more common than you'd think but I'd still think its the first one that you're experiencing.
Old 3/3/13, 06:58 PM
GT Member

bump
Old 3/3/13, 10:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Sounds to me like something isnt right. Take it back to the shop
Old 3/5/13, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know where you get your info... the lightened mass of the flywheel has nothing to do with the alignment of the gears. That is fixed and cannot be changed. It sounds like you have a problem maybe with your clutch system, or air in the line?
Old 3/5/13, 07:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowRiderr

I don't know where you get your info... the lightened mass of the flywheel has nothing to do with the alignment of the gears. That is fixed and cannot be changed. It sounds like you have a problem maybe with your clutch system, or air in the line?
Actually having less rotational mass on the fly in relation to the what the remaining rotational assembly can cause thing to be off.

Idk, maybe I explained it poorly. But basically the gears spinning with less inertia you sometimes have to get it back in sync. You "force" it by doing exactly what you have been doing.

It could be air in the lines not giving you full disengagement. It should also be bent forks. I was just mentioning the most likely two. What brand clutch is it?
Old 3/6/13, 05:14 AM
GT Member

Actually having less rotational mass on the fly in relation to the what the remaining rotational assembly can cause thing to be off.

Idk, maybe I explained it poorly. But basically the gears spinning with less inertia you sometimes have to get it back in sync. You "force" it by doing exactly what you have been doing.

It could be air in the lines not giving you full disengagement. It should also be bent forks. I was just mentioning the most likely two. What brand clutch is it?
Engaging gears has nothing to do with inerta. its about matching rotational speeds. a light weight fkywheel will not have any effect on engaging 1st at a stop. If you understand how a flywheel/clutch and transmission work then it is easy to that it has no effect on engaging gears when the car is stoped.
Old 3/6/13, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kris Warwick

Engaging gears has nothing to do with inerta. its about matching rotational speeds. a light weight fkywheel will not have any effect on engaging 1st at a stop. If you understand how a flywheel/clutch and transmission work then it is easy to that it has no effect on engaging gears when the car is stoped.
Right