Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

N2MB WOT Box review for my 2013 GT

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/15, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N2MB WOT Box review for my 2013 GT

Been a while since I've posted but here we go.
The WOT box. There is not a whole lot of information about this little blue box on Coyote engines but I felt it was worth trying out and reporting back to the mustang community. For those of you who don't know the WOT Box is a dual feature ignition add on. It allows for a 2 step and WOT shifting. WOT shifting feature allows you to keep your foot hard down on the accelerator while shifting gears. It briefly cuts the ignition(amount of time is adjustable) while the clutch is depressed making gear changes incredibly smooth and very fast. Installation is fairly simple but you have to be able to solder properly. Soldering is not hard with practice and watching Youtube videos. To keep this simple or at least try to I am going to break it down into a pros, cons, and neutral list.

Pros:
- Detailed write up on N2MB website are easy to follow. I checked the wiring against ford wiring schematics and they are accurate.
- Holy hell I can shift fast with this thing in my car. Faster than I ever have before. And smoother than before it was installed.
- 2 step feature works as advertised.
- For about 10-15 bucks a serial computer cable and led can be wired in and used as a shift light. I used the recommended pieces on the N2MB website.
- For 2 step and WOT shifting it only cuts ignition not fuel.
- Many many features for 200 dollars. Same price as MSD 2 step with a lot more capabilities. Can wire in a nitrous window switch as well although this requires more money and components.
- Software is easy to use. Can adjust 2 step and WOT ignition cut timing with or without a computer.

Cons:
- Car will not run without this thing connected.
- Even though wiring is accurate in N2MB write up there are small errors. The write up talks about two black wires on the WOT Box harness but the harness has been revised and it has not been changed in the instructions. Also there is a conflict in what they say wire colors are in the table early on in the instructions but the pictures later in the write up on their site is correct.

Neutral:
- Staying on the 2 step for too long causes the check engine light to come on. It throws misfire codes for all eight cylinders and puts the car in limp mode. I consider this neutral because it is not the fault of the WOT Box. The PCM just gets a little confused. I have a iTSX and can clear the codes with my phone. No need to stay on the 2 step that long anyway. WOT shifting does not seem to cause any misfire code issues. I have heard having a tuner copy misfire codes from table 1 into table 2 helps alleviate this but I am not a tuner and cannot confirm this.

I am going to explain the car won't run after installing this con. The WOT Box manipulates the coil on plugs by having wires placed on either end of the fuse 40 yellow/green wire which needs to be cut. According the the wiring diagrams this wire essentially feeds power to all the coils. If the WOT Box fails this connection might not happen thus rendering the car without spark. I don't know this for sure but it is worth mentioning. I have Power probe portable butane soldering iron in my car just in case this does happen. Would be a easy fix for me if WOT Box failed.

This review may be long but this is a little more in depth and technical install than a lot of us who mainly do bolt on mods. And to be honest it can be a little scary thinking about installing due to cutting and splicing into the wiring harness. But now that it is installed and looking back on the splicing/soldering it was not hard. Getting access to the wires is a little tricky but not bad.

Is it worth it? Hell yes. Again this is a long post but this is probably the best thing I have done to my car. I am a die hard gear banger. It makes shifting so much more fun at WOT. Have not been to a dragstrip to see if it helps my ET because I installed it last week. FYI I have many N/A bolt ons, MGW gen 1 shifter, and lower control arms with relocation brackets. I will post some pictures hopefully tomorrow of it installed on my car. Will post videos when able but not sure when going to the track next.
Old 2/24/15, 02:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzyLumpkin
Been a while since I've posted but here we go.
The WOT box. There is not a whole lot of information about this little blue box on Coyote engines but I felt it was worth trying out and reporting back to the mustang community. For those of you who don't know the WOT Box is a dual feature ignition add on. It allows for a 2 step and WOT shifting. WOT shifting feature allows you to keep your foot hard down on the accelerator while shifting gears. It briefly cuts the ignition(amount of time is adjustable) while the clutch is depressed making gear changes incredibly smooth and very fast. Installation is fairly simple but you have to be able to solder properly. Soldering is not hard with practice and watching Youtube videos. To keep this simple or at least try to I am going to break it down into a pros, cons, and neutral list.

Pros:
- Detailed write up on N2MB website are easy to follow. I checked the wiring against ford wiring schematics and they are accurate.
- Holy hell I can shift fast with this thing in my car. Faster than I ever have before. And smoother than before it was installed.
- 2 step feature works as advertised.
- For about 10-15 bucks a serial computer cable and led can be wired in and used as a shift light. I used the recommended pieces on the N2MB website.
- For 2 step and WOT shifting it only cuts ignition not fuel.
- Many many features for 200 dollars. Same price as MSD 2 step with a lot more capabilities. Can wire in a nitrous window switch as well although this requires more money and components.
- Software is easy to use. Can adjust 2 step and WOT ignition cut timing with or without a computer.

Cons:
- Car will not run without this thing connected.
- Even though wiring is accurate in N2MB write up there are small errors. The write up talks about two black wires on the WOT Box harness but the harness has been revised and it has not been changed in the instructions. Also there is a conflict in what they say wire colors are in the table early on in the instructions but the pictures later in the write up on their site is correct.

Neutral:
- Staying on the 2 step for too long causes the check engine light to come on. It throws misfire codes for all eight cylinders and puts the car in limp mode. I consider this neutral because it is not the fault of the WOT Box. The PCM just gets a little confused. I have a iTSX and can clear the codes with my phone. No need to stay on the 2 step that long anyway. WOT shifting does not seem to cause any misfire code issues. I have heard having a tuner copy misfire codes from table 1 into table 2 helps alleviate this but I am not a tuner and cannot confirm this.

I am going to explain the car won't run after installing this con. The WOT Box manipulates the coil on plugs by having wires placed on either end of the fuse 40 yellow/green wire which needs to be cut. According the the wiring diagrams this wire essentially feeds power to all the coils. If the WOT Box fails this connection might not happen thus rendering the car without spark. I don't know this for sure but it is worth mentioning. I have Power probe portable butane soldering iron in my car just in case this does happen. Would be a easy fix for me if WOT Box failed.

This review may be long but this is a little more in depth and technical install than a lot of us who mainly do bolt on mods. And to be honest it can be a little scary thinking about installing due to cutting and splicing into the wiring harness. But now that it is installed and looking back on the splicing/soldering it was not hard. Getting access to the wires is a little tricky but not bad.

Is it worth it? Hell yes. Again this is a long post but this is probably the best thing I have done to my car. I am a die hard gear banger. It makes shifting so much more fun at WOT. Have not been to a dragstrip to see if it helps my ET because I installed it last week. FYI I have many N/A bolt ons, MGW gen 1 shifter, and lower control arms with relocation brackets. I will post some pictures hopefully tomorrow of it installed on my car. Will post videos when able but not sure when going to the track next.

I have always been able to barely lift off the throttle when shifting these cars. So I am not certain it would be of benefit.