5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Mustang GT non-brembo brake upgrades for auto-x/track day

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/12, 11:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mustang GT non-brembo brake upgrades for auto-x/track day

I have a 2012 GT that I am piecing parts together for occasional track and autocrossing. I am a beginner and curious as to if there is a true track pad for the stock caliper? Or do I have to upgrade the brakes completely. I plan on getting ss lines, fluid, and frpp brake duct kit
Old 12/21/12, 03:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowRiderr
I have a 2012 GT that I am piecing parts together for occasional track and autocrossing. I am a beginner and curious as to if there is a true track pad for the stock caliper? Or do I have to upgrade the brakes completely. I plan on getting ss lines, fluid, and frpp brake duct kit
Ceramic pads will outperform OEM.Take a look at Carbotech for track days. Also switch the stock fluid for DOT4. And wait on brake ducting. Put that $ towards a big brake kit for the front first. $ better spent.

Last edited by wheelman; 12/21/12 at 03:38 AM.
Old 12/21/12, 06:16 AM
Bullitt Member

BBK means I have to buy new wheels and tires too. That's why I was holding off on that
Old 12/21/12, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

How much spare time do you have? Here's a little light reading for you.

https://themustangsource.com/f813/br...eviews-492130/
Old 12/21/12, 09:26 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelman
Ceramic pads will outperform OEM.Take a look at Carbotech for track days. Also switch the stock fluid for DOT4. And wait on brake ducting. Put that $ towards a big brake kit for the front first. $ better spent.
---

Pads, steel lines, and DOT 4 fluid to start with. Wait on the cooling duct kit, for now. When you are ready later, you may want an SVT Brembo Kit like I have, see my upgrade thread:
https://themustangsource.com/f802/brake-upgrade-515379/
Old 12/21/12, 09:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Check the rules for your local group before you do anything. If you want to compete in stock class, you brake mods might be restricted. Pads are usually ok...but swapping rotors/calipers might not be.

Second, decide what your goals are...since you're just beginning, having the optimal equipment is much less consequential than the experience and practice. I promise you that your stock GT is capable of vastly more than you are at this stage....and probably capable of more than most of us are able to exploit.

My advice is to wear out what you have now and get a feel for the sport...then decide what mods your car "needs" and what mods you want to do based on your class and where you think you can be competitive.
Old 12/21/12, 11:40 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Check the rules for your local group before you do anything. If you want to compete in stock class, you brake mods might be restricted. Pads are usually ok...but swapping rotors/calipers might not be.

Second, decide what your goals are...since you're just beginning, having the optimal equipment is much less consequential than the experience and practice. I promise you that your stock GT is capable of vastly more than you are at this stage....and probably capable of more than most of us are able to exploit.

My advice is to wear out what you have now and get a feel for the sport...then decide what mods your car "needs" and what mods you want to do based on your class and where you think you can be competitive.
---
Mike is correct. I took for granted that you've already tracked the car stock, and brakes was your first mod. Based on what I've read, tracking your car bone stock to get a 'baseline' is a smart approach. Then you can get to that set-up's limits on speed, cornering, turn-in, understeer, oversteer, braking, etc. Then you can improve the bits you want to, at your own pace. That's how I did it, and I'm glad I did.
Old 12/21/12, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

This is great advice. Its alot easier to buy goodies than it it to get good at something. Im going to keep my car stock for this year coming up - except for the mgw shifter - and then see where I am and maybe upgrade for the next season
Old 12/22/12, 07:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Especially for autocross, as generally the top speeds aren't as high as going on to a track. It's better to concentrate on the form, smooth driving, finding the apex of corners, etc.

Many moons ago, I won my stock class in a '96 Cobra that had NO modifications. I burned up the tires quick though.

Good luck, and have fun.

And by the way, if you do start upgrading pads and such, you'll have to choose between bite, noise, and dust. You'd probably find more bang for you buck in autocrossing as a novice by swapping out tires first, as that's what helps in the stopping as well. Even then, I think the same suggestions apply - get practice on the stock equipment first.
Old 12/23/12, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso

Especially for autocross, as generally the top speeds aren't as high as going on to a track. It's better to concentrate on the form, smooth driving, finding the apex of corners, etc.

Many moons ago, I won my stock class in a '96 Cobra that had NO modifications. I burned up the tires quick though.

Good luck, and have fun.

And by the way, if you do start upgrading pads and such, you'll have to choose between bite, noise, and dust. You'd probably find more bang for you buck in autocrossing as a novice by swapping out tires first, as that's what helps in the stopping as well. Even then, I think the same suggestions apply - get practice on the stock equipment first.
Preferably id have pads just for track and auto-x. I don't mind switching then out
Old 12/23/12, 07:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowRiderr
Preferably id have pads just for track and auto-x. I don't mind switching then out
Sure - makes sense. Those, in combination with tires, will definitely help reduce your times, assuming you get the experience and consistency. Good luck and have fun!