Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MGW Shifter Install/Review

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/13, 07:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
MGW Shifter Install/Review

I did my first big mod today to my car, and installed my new MGW shifter. I'll throw in my disclaimer: I'm a desk jockey for my job, and IT guy, and never really worked on cars before - ok ever, unless oil changes count.

After watching the MGW videos, I felt this was something I could do, and I didnt feel that I could "break" anything or not get it back together. I did have to convince the better half that I could, and she said go for it. She did get the AAA number ready incase - past performance or something to that effect.

My goal when I started out was to snap a bunch of pictures to show the install, but once I got going, dirty and greasy I didnt want to handle my camera . I did take a few, but none from the underside of the car.

The shifter came with the new rear support bracket and both the street and track rubber bushings. The street version was installed, and that is what I decided to go with. Since it's my DD I'd prefer to stay on the "comfort" side.

The street version felt much more solid than the factory bushing, which is really soft, and doesnt feel like it would give much support, as others have noted. The track version is very firm.

The shifter is a beautiful of work of art - well machined. Too bad you cant look at it to enjoy it, rather than cover it up. It is also much heavier than the stock unit.

After getting the car up on 4 jackstands, and using hydraulic jack as my safety net, I was able to get the stock unit out rather quickly.

The install went well, but for me not too quick. One of my challenges was getting the upper half of the clamshell, linkage arm and lower half together. I ended up getting my son to help me. I had him gingerly get in the car and hold the upper half and linkage arm while I was underneath with the lower half. Together we were able to get the bolts lined up, then he helped hold it while I got the washers and first bolt on.

The next challenge were the rubber dust boots on the linkage arm getting that over the end of the lip of the clamshell housing. The rubber boot that goes on inside the car is a female dog to install, and that is sugar coated. It sucked. My fingers and tips are sore from that part alone. Trying to stretch it on then get the flange on without binding was a pain, and required some fighting with it as there are 3 place it attaches.

Attaching the rear bracket and heat shield were a breeze and they went quickly. I was wanting to get a shot of those, but didnt.

The test drive was great, 20 miles, drove a mixture of stop and go, rural, and hi-way. The shifts are solid, firm, and shorter! Looking forward to a long term use of it.

Concerning NVH, there maybe a little more noise under full throttle, but I could not tell any difference at a normal acceleration or at a constant speed. Air, and Radio off, windows were up. Vibration - yeah there seems to be a more, is it bad no, does it make noise, no. I only notice when my hand is on the shifter. I couldnt say how much more it is over stock, and I attribute it to being very solid unit now.

Overall I am very happy with the unit and my install of it! Whoo-hoo. Anyway hope you enjoyed the write up.
Attached Thumbnails MGW Shifter Install/Review-img_5069.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 4/14/13, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great work! it does look like a VERY solid shifter. I plan to go MGW or ford racing short throw if i want to keep the warranty. Nice write up for sure. Enjoy those precise shifts, now theres no excuse for missing 3rd
Old 4/15/13, 09:37 AM
V6 Member

I put one on my 2014 two weekends ago ... actually, I brought it up to MGW and they did the installation for free (their first on a 2014). Since then have put about 1750 miles on and am in love with the shifter. Smooth, positive, and I am not experiencing any vibrations or noise beyond the usual stock transmission noise but of course, that's imperceptible inside the vehicle. Can one be in love with a shifter?

Last edited by Kairho; 4/15/13 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 4/15/13, 12:15 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is definitely going to be my next mod. I put in the Energy poly shifter bushing a month ago to tide me over, but I am already anxious to get the MGW.
Old 4/15/13, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
After driving it to work today, I really enjoy it, very solid and precise. I cant speak highly of it. I dont know if I was sensitive yesterday, but today I didnt notice any noise, and I didnt notice any vibration other than normal stick vibration.

Congrats Kairho on your install - must have been nice to visit their facility and have them install it for you.
Old 4/17/13, 04:37 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Yet another MGW success story and another fan. These MGW lovers are getting to be more and more frequent... That is a very good thing I have had mine on for almost 2 years now, and still smile every single time I drive it.

https://themustangsource.com/f657/mg...ssions-502600/

Congrats again op, and welcome to the MGW family.
Old 9/24/14, 06:53 AM

Brand new designed mgw shifter

yesterday I had the short shifter that I purchased from Shelby removed from my 07gt500. Do not buy that shifter. It's trash!!! This mgw shifter is the bomb!! Period. Better design. Better shift. No missed third !!!

Last edited by mrbreal; 9/24/14 at 06:58 AM.
Old 9/24/14, 07:18 AM
I Have No Life

^ always always always.

congrats and welcome to the MGW family.
Old 9/24/14, 08:16 AM
GT Member

Yay, bringing threads back from the dead. MGW is awesome, pair it with a Blowfish Racing bracket and it's even better.
Old 9/29/14, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by swervo
Yay, bringing threads back from the dead. MGW is awesome, pair it with a Blowfish Racing bracket and it's even better.
That shrouds like a great plan. With the newest mgw shifter (pictured a few posts up) having a different rear mount than stock, how can you install the blowfish racing shifter bracket? Does it require the older mgw with the stock style rear mount? I am very intrigued by the blowfish racing bracket for my Boss, and hope to get a shifter put in as well.
Old 9/29/14, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quick question here guy's. Whats the difference between the Ford racing shifter and the Mgw? I will be in the market for one or the other in a few months and ive read nothing but good reviews of both.
Old 9/29/14, 07:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Wheelmanrob
That shrouds like a great plan. With the newest mgw shifter (pictured a few posts up) having a different rear mount than stock, how can you install the blowfish racing shifter bracket? Does it require the older mgw with the stock style rear mount? I am very intrigued by the blowfish racing bracket for my Boss, and hope to get a shifter put in as well.
It comes with a different adapter for the MGW. So this will work with pretty much any shifter made for the 2011+ mustangs.
Originally Posted by Astenax
Quick question here guy's. Whats the difference between the Ford racing shifter and the Mgw? I will be in the market for one or the other in a few months and ive read nothing but good reviews of both.
The ford one just replaces the top half of the shifter, while the MGW replaces the whole thing.
This is a pic I took when I was installing my MGW. As you can notice, the stock shifter, base and rear bracket up top and the MGW stuff on the bottom. The Ford shifter just replaces the shifter and bracket, but not the base.
Name:  IMG_20140712_193548.jpg
Views: 2093
Size:  120.0 KB
Old 9/29/14, 10:27 PM
Banned

Cool thanx! Im definitely going with the MGW for sure.
Old 9/30/14, 04:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every time That I see a photo like that it makes me want to change out other stock parts! The MGW is great. Had mine about half a year now and no complaints.
Old 10/13/14, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Last1
Every time That I see a photo like that it makes me want to change out other stock parts! The MGW is great. Had mine about half a year now and no complaints.
Installed mine on Friday. It took 3 hours, start to finish, and, since I had the time, I was meticulously careful (ok, working on a brand new car was relevant too). I watched about 2-3 minutes of the video before each step.

I have to say, I've worked on my own cars, old cars, custom bikes for 20 years and this was the easiest install ever for something of this scope.

NO real issues.

1. Boot was a bit of work but not bad
2. Shifter didn't need any adjustment
3. Seems stiff compared to stocker (but really the stocker was a sloppy mess!) - after two short drives, I'm all over it and it's sooooo much better.
4. Took me a minute to figure out the heat shield - one photo shows the foam applied and wrapped around, the other in the video shows it NOT wrapped around - but to not do so would leave a mess IMHO. I also found the front (at least center part) of the shield tab hard (almost impossible) to bend down. I did a little and that was all that was needed.
5. QUALITY PRODUCT, QUALITY PACKAGING AND INSTRUCTIONS.
Old 10/15/14, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I got mine today from UPS. Cant wait for the install !!!!!

Last edited by STUKUP2112; 10/15/14 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11/1/14, 08:59 AM

LOVE IT

Just had the MGW installed on my '14 GT w/Track Pack and it is everything people said it was and more. It has literally changed my relationship with the car and it's hard to believe Ford didn't make something like this standard. The 2nd/3rd shift is just now flawless but the bigger difference is just the overall feel... it "feels" right and is such a joy to row through the gears.
Old 11/3/14, 09:25 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by golffanatic777
Just had the MGW installed on my '14 GT w/Track Pack and it is everything people said it was and more. It has literally changed my relationship with the car and it's hard to believe Ford didn't make something like this standard. The 2nd/3rd shift is just now flawless but the bigger difference is just the overall feel... it "feels" right and is such a joy to row through the gears.
I NEVER get tired of hearing this. Seriously. You're like number 50 or so that I've read/heard of in 3 years that have done this mod.

3 years later and my car is such a blast to drive.

Congrats and welcome to the MGW family.
Old 11/9/14, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Three years in with mine and no complaints! Sometimes I forget how bad the stock one was.
Old 11/10/14, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigblue11
Three years in with mine and no complaints! Sometimes I forget how bad the stock one was.
MGW is coming out with a better 'Race Spec' shifter in a few weeks incorporating a fixed mount to the trans. Sounds like a major improvement & you won't need the Blowfish bracket.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Install/Review