Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MGW Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/11, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006torquefreak
Im on the list and waiting for the call. I was on the fence about the steeda because I have their **** and adapter. But I will go the MGW route based on their reputation. And my steeda **** and adapter will fit because it is stock spec. I cant wait to get my call!

Good call.
Old 10/2/11, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

So will the MGW be THAT much better than the Barton? The Barton one is available NOW, is the MGW worth waiting for?
Old 10/2/11, 02:50 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Uin2it
So will the MGW be THAT much better than the Barton? The Barton one is available NOW, is the MGW worth waiting for?
I can almost guarantee it. Those guys always find a way to deliver a product that is superior to the competition.
Old 10/2/11, 03:13 PM

I sold my Barton to buy the MGW. I like it a lot.
Old 10/2/11, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

100% better from what I've heard from the first round of testers. Multiple people selling their's for the MGW. The Barton shifter has too much reduction. Messes up the synchros in the tranny from what I've heard. The Barton has a 40% throw reduction right? The guys at MGW have played around with different amounts of throws and they've settled on just around 25%. I'd wait for the next batch to be released by MGW. Well worth the wait.

Remember, the MGW model replaces the entire shifter assembly. Heavier duty matireals than the stock/Barton combo. Very good design. I assume you've watched the MGW install videos? If not, I highly recommened it.
Old 10/2/11, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mgw is where it's at. No one comes close.
/thread
Old 10/3/11, 03:35 PM
GT Member

Does the way we have to put the car in reverse change with it or any after market shifter? I was reading somewhere that it changes the way you hold down to get it into reverse and that reverse and 1st are very close together . As if you dont push down on the aftermarket ones.
Old 10/3/11, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bud4au01
Does the way we have to put the car in reverse change with it or any after market shifter? I was reading somewhere that it changes the way you hold down to get it into reverse and that reverse and 1st are very close together . As if you dont push down on the aftermarket ones.
The MGW has the push-down reverse... As does Barton.... I think steeda does too... Hurst has changed the reverse design... If I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me... IMO, anyone who buys anything other than the MGW from here on out is CRAzy...
Old 10/3/11, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bud4au01

Anyone with confusion on the MGW shifter, watch these install videos. Very detailed and can answer all your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIVNi...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmz9C...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMV4a...eature=related
Old 10/5/11, 09:26 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
Anyone with confusion on the MGW shifter, watch these install videos. Very detailed and can answer all your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIVNi...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmz9C...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMV4a...eature=related
thx for link. I am also on list btw can't wait. For those of you who have tried the latest 5.0 mgw shifters, how would you compare the stock ones versus mgw on a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being perfect)?

p.s black mamba, another Iowa owner here not too far from you.
Old 10/6/11, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
thx for link. I am also on list btw can't wait. For those of you who have tried the latest 5.0 mgw shifters, how would you compare the stock ones versus mgw on a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being perfect)?

p.s black mamba, another Iowa owner here not too far from you.
Old 10/6/11, 03:42 PM
I Have No Life

btw... any worries about this shifter voiding any warranty per Ford's new TSB?
Old 10/6/11, 09:07 PM

Only if the transmission frags.
Old 10/7/11, 11:27 AM
I Have No Life

That's what sucks... if the transmission does cop out or has issues, if Ford sees the shifter, wouldn't they still blame it and refuse warranty even if it really had NOTHING to do with the actual tranny issues?
Old 10/7/11, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's what sucks... if the transmission does cop out or has issues, if Ford sees the shifter, wouldn't they still blame it and refuse warranty even if it really had NOTHING to do with the actual tranny issues?

Yes. They'll blame you and say the shifter had something to do with the problem and refuse to warrenty the work. Same problem guys have with tuning their cars then putting them back to stock and taking it into the dealer. The dealers can tell even if you put the car back to stock that you had tuned it and will refuse to warrenty work saying you messed with the car's computer.

Tough decision for some. My choice, MGW shifter assembly all the way.
Old 10/7/11, 09:33 PM
I Have No Life

Yes. They'll blame you and say the shifter had something to do with the problem and refuse to warrenty the work. Same problem guys have with tuning their cars then putting them back to stock and taking it into the dealer. The dealers can tell even if you put the car back to stock that you had tuned it and will refuse to warrenty work saying you messed with the car's computer.

Tough decision for some. My choice, MGW shifter assembly all the way.
So with the MGW shifter installed, if warranty work on tranny was needed, just take the time to remove the assembly and return stock back right? Then no issue... not like a computer tune, where they can tell it was removed.
Old 10/7/11, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

So with the MGW shifter installed, if warranty work on tranny was needed, just take the time to remove the assembly and return stock back right? Then no issue... not like a computer tune, where they can tell it was removed.

Yes.
Old 10/7/11, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes.
Has anyone experienced a dealer writing that up. Years ago my 96 had a pro 5.0 and I had work done on my t-5 twice and they never said a word back then. Is it really that strict now?
Old 10/8/11, 01:59 AM
GT Member

It all depends on your dealer. There are tons of threads around talking about warranty voids for aftermarket parts. Bottom line--they need to connect the aftermarket part to the vehicles issue. If they cant do that, they will warranty it.

When i lived in jersey I brought my SVT Focus, which had a TON of crap done to it, to the dealer several times for warranty work--including one time for misfiring due to a failed coil pack. Also had a minor tranny issue--that they fixed no problem (I had an aftermarket shifter). Never once had an issue with warranty items.

While in NC I brought my 09 I brought it to the dealer for a loud 'clunk' cming from the underbody of the vehicle over bumps. I had aftermarket suspension bits on the car and they repaired/replaced the STOCK parts that had caused the issue. They could have easily tried to blame my suspension set up but being the honest dealer they were they did not....they just repaired the problem.

Will they try to screw you? Probably not. Can they? Yup. Just be prepared for it either way. I would suggest calling the dealer prior to bringing your car in and speaking to the service writer. Find out if they will see lightly modified cars under manufacturs warranty. Dont tell them your VIN or name, etc. That way if they say 'uhh, no we will void your warranty' you can go elsewhere

Last edited by JerseyGT; 10/8/11 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10/8/11, 08:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Just to make it clear. Just because you put a part on your vehicle it DOES NOT void your warranty. For a product to affect the warranty, there must be an investigation done by the party refuting the warranty to prove that the aftermarket product indeed caused the OEM component part to fail. Just because you put a CAI on your car it does not does not automatically void the warranty. The CAI would have the be the direct cause that caused the part to fail. Also, you have to remember when installing aftermarket parts you are responsible to care and drive the car in a non malicious way - because no warranty covers "abuse" .

When you are installing Steeda parts on your cars, please note that we are giving you the benefit of a component part that indeed will work as advertised and will not cause a direct component failure on your car. We work very closely with Ford and develop our performance parts and accessories so that they perform as necessary and will not cause another component to fail. All of our parts are engineered under strict ISO 9001-2008 certified standards and are specifically designed to provide worry free operation. They carry a lifetime warranty and we have never had an instance of a Ford vehicle having it's warranty refuted due to a direct result of our parts.

Steed Autosports is a company that will stand by you in case something does happen. If a dealer does not want to service a warranty claim, then Steeda will provide the necessary support through either the dealer or will work with Ford Motor Company to get your vehicle serviced. Steeda has never had an issue with a warranty claim. All of our products are tested and proven not to exceed recommend testing.. Steeda backs its products 100% so you never have to worry about being left behind.

Our Shifters are proven to be of the highest quality and offer supreme performance. If you are on the fence, remember that Steeda will go to bat for you.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter?