Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MAGNUSON no longer has Superchargers for S197

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/17, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
MAGNUSON no longer has Superchargers for S197

I've been looking around for a super charger for my 2013 GT Premium.
I was looking at the Magnacharger from Magnuson, I know their a dealer for the Eaton/TVS Supercharger. I sent an inquiry to Magnuson, I just got an e-mail back for a Tim Clifton, sales at Magnuson, He told me they have discontinued the Supercharger #01-23-50-005-BL, and won't be having a replacement. Well that floored me completely. How many people with the S197, 5.0 V4, will be looking to put a supercharger on at some time in the near future. Well, It is just an Eaton product, I know there are other destributors, I think TVS 2300, now to find a supplier.
Old 8/3/17, 08:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
There's plenty of other brands/offerings out there.
Whipple, Kenne Bell, Roush, VMP, Procharger, Vortech, Paxton, and I think Edelbrock.
What made you decide only on the Magnuson?
The following users liked this post:
tourer (8/4/17)
Old 8/4/17, 08:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
Whipple, Kenne Bell, Roush, VMP, Procharger, Vortech, Paxton, and I think Edelbrock.
I was looking at TVS/Eaton superchargers, I believe Roush's uses the Eaton
160 degree screws, Magnuson was offering a better price on-line but of course, I found they no longer build items for Ford at all. Gabe, What are you running?
Old 8/4/17, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I see you have a 2.3 Whipple and your wife has the TVS. Which one spins up faster?
Some other guys here have said the Whipples seem to be down on power or more sluggish than the TVS equipped cars.
Old 8/4/17, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I see you went with a 2.3 Whipple, I contacted Tasca Ford, They recommend a 2.9 Whipple to me, 2013 GT Premium. I wonder what the differences are?
Old 8/4/17, 09:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
I don't think Whipple makes the 2.3 kits anymore, they've redesigned the 2.9 blower to have the front feed, look up 2015+ Whipple kits and you'll see what I mean.
If I was to do it again, I would've gotten the 2.9 which doesn't need to be spun as hard to deliver the same power.
I'm on the 3.125" pulley now and at 10-11 psi, enjoying that.
But I do want more, which unfortunately may not happen with this car, since after all the driving I've done with my wife's GT500, I really want the bigger-engined car.
There's definitely no substitute for displacement, or the torque it brings to the party.
Can't compare them, they're completely different animals.
tourer (8/8/17)
Old 8/4/17, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't think Whipple makes the 2.3 kits anymore, they've redesigned the 2.9 blower to have the front feed, look up 2015+ Whipple kits and you'll see what I mean.
If I was to do it again, I would've gotten the 2.9 which doesn't need to be spun as hard to deliver the same power.
I'm on the 3.125" pulley now and at 10-11 psi, enjoying that.
But I do want more, which unfortunately may not happen with this car, since after all the driving I've done with my wife's GT500, I really want the bigger-engined car.
There's definitely no substitute for displacement, or the torque it brings to the party.
Can't compare them, they're completely different animals.
Yeah, I wanted a Shelby Cobra. I tried a 2013 Cobra, OMG! The one problem that kept me out of that car is, I have a low back injury that makes my left leg going onto convultions/spasms, That wouldn't be to cool at a Red light, So, I went for the GT Premium, Race Red with the Glass roof and of course, Automatic Transmission. I've read some about the GT's not being reliable if pushed to 650HP or more, also something about gears in the oil pump? My objective is to get it to 650RWHP. I'm Retiring this coming October, I'll be 56 years old. I wanted a blower for awhile, I took the naturally aspirated path first though, as you can see in my tag line.
I now have to get a pair of rear wheels and drag radials so I can go play at New England Dragway, I see Ford Fest is coming up on August 12th.
Old 8/4/17, 12:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Whipple has a nice front feed 2.9 for the 5.0,
...........................& they'll make it in red for a price.
tourer (8/8/17)
Old 8/4/17, 01:40 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by tourer
I see you went with a 2.3 Whipple, I contacted Tasca Ford, They recommend a 2.9 Whipple to me, 2013 GT Premium. I wonder what the differences are?
Tasca will recommend the Whipple because they sell them I do believe, so they want you to buy what they sell. I don't think they install other supercharger brands as I have asked them about that in the past.
Unless it has changed since then??
tourer (8/8/17)
Old 8/8/17, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
On a somewhat similar note there is the department of boost kit that allows you to bolt up the blower from a gt500. I know it was a group buy on here a while back, but i haven't heard much from people that did it. It comes in significantly cheaper than the other kits as you can pull most of the parts directly from a gt500 of either s197 era. You're talking all in for maybe 4K. I am hoping to do this in the not so far off future as funds permit, and would be curious if other people have gone this route. Maybe look into this for yourself too.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 8/8/17 at 04:29 PM.
tourer (8/9/17)
Old 8/8/17, 09:04 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Imagine us poor old Saleen guys with kits on our cars for the past 5-10 years.

Eventually somehow someway they just become obsolete.
Old 8/10/17, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It happens. The market is saturated with blower choices and this is an old car. Some of the peripheral players are going to drop off.

Remember Powerdyne on the old pushrod 5.0s? Or the original blower for those cars, the SN89-95 Paxton ball-drives? As time marched on and better (or better-marketed) stuff came out, they died off as selections. Same is true here.
Old 8/10/17, 02:24 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LHO
It happens. The market is saturated with blower choices and this is an old car. Some of the peripheral players are going to drop off.
Plus, in all honesty, Roush, VMP, Procharger, and Paxton are choices that go ahead of the Magnuson, in my opinion.
Nothing wrong with the kit, but I bet they didn't sell as many they'd hope to.