Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

M-FR1-MGTB Ford Racing Upgrade Performance Review

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/12, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magnido45
Thanks for this link...I have the tune and k&n filter...now you got me thinking about the gt500 mufflers that I skipped out on...by the way...luv this tune...will never go back to stock...
Old 7/15/12, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dafreeze
This '71 Plymouth was the quickest car stoplight to stoplight in Lincoln, NE in '76-'77, although there was a '70 Dart w/4-speed that would pull with us as long as the kid wouldn't miss a shift.

Special ordered. Light duty auto truck transmission w/B&M shift kit, Dana quick change rear end. Loved the Carter 780 Thermoquad that sat on top of this sweet little 340. Primaries the size of your little finger, 2-1/4" dia secondaries. Only things not stock were the hand made traction bars, stock rears widened 2" and the Doug Thorley headers which dumped into a pair of those turbo Corvair mufflers. Car sounded just as sweet as it ran. Was my best friends, who's at the motor compartment checking the timing and dwell. I'm inside wiping down, Cowgill's vacuuming. Friday afternoon and we're hitting 'O' Street that evening.

Can't say, but it's interesting to note that FR includes the copied performance selling point statements below in both the kit and ProCal pages, but make no mention of any gains on the mufflers page;

Approximate peak increase of 16 hp and 7 lb-ft on 93 octane fuel
Up to 60 lb-ft increase at 1500 rpm!
ok lets take a walk back

here's my 1962 Corvair 600 (my wife is holding our son in the picture)

this car was lowered so low that ants had to duck when i drove by ... LOL
matter of fact i put a hole in the gas tank by running over a large rock -- had to relocate the gas tank in the trunk which was in the front of the car.

i totally rebuilt the engine (myself) -- when i was finished it had TRW FordgedTrue 9.5:1 pistons -- Sig Erson cam -- reworked cylinder heads Crane Cam springs and pushrods. cross over intake manifold with a Holley 500cfm two barrel carb. I cant remember who made the headers but i had a set of OG Turbo Mufflers on it and running a two-speed PowerGlide tranny... in low gear it sounded just like a Porsche 911T

The day my son was born, i was pulling the engine (by hand -- no $$ for a hoist) to replace the Erson cam that went flat.

this car loved the twisties !!
Attached Thumbnails M-FR1-MGTB Ford Racing Upgrade Performance Review-2012-07-15_13-21-40_4041.jpg  

Last edited by Shifterboy45; 7/15/12 at 02:52 PM.
Old 7/16/12, 02:46 AM
Bullitt Member

What a wonderful picture but, I'm thinkin 'Shifterolfart' might have been a better screen name. When was that taken...'70?? That a 68 Bel Air?
Old 7/16/12, 10:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dafreeze
What a wonderful picture but, I'm thinkin 'Shifterolfart' might have been a better screen name. When was that taken...'70?? That a 68 Bel Air?

ok, i knew it was coming....

I think that was a '69 -- but i'd have to see the car from the rear to be accurate.

the photo was taken in '77 ... and yes i'm way past 45 ... I'll think about making a change when i hit the big 6-0

maybe GranpaX3StillGoesFast.....
Old 7/16/12, 11:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I invested in a mini OBD2 adapter and downloaded the Torque application for Android. I have started to do some datalogging. I wish i had done this before i installed the tune so i could have some comparison numbers -- but i guess I'll start with what i have at the moment.

in a week or so i will have a little free time to compile the info for those interested -- i want to give some more data for those who may be looking to this tune as an option.

just remember; as many people will note -- this is a "mild tune" and may not be for everyone -

i searched high and low for a reason to get this package but there is very little customer experience data to support buying this other than the install videos and Ford literature which is sparse.

last note is that this package is recommended for MT cars only -- so keep that in mind when looking at Fords upgrade.
Old 7/18/12, 12:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Quick note for those with AT transmissions -- the new kit now includes support for auto transmissions. I just looked at the new data for the 2013's so scratch my comment about manual transmissions only --

Cheers!