5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Life with the Bassani's

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/10, 09:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life with the Bassani's

Well, I have had the Bassani aft-cat installed for almost a week. Yesterday was my first full day with the car which included a small cruise-in at a local hangout. Got ton's of compliments on the car (which I really did not expect although not very many 5.0's around yet) Everyone loved the exhaust. It does sound great. However, after leaving the show I drove the car on the interstate for the first time. Cruising at around 2K RPM on level ground if fine. However, any incline which requires any throttle input induces drone that is quite bad. I have 3.73's and this is right around 70 mph. I was really disappointed. I had a tough time deciding between the Bassani and the Borla S-type. In the end, I went with the Bassani's because I liked the sound a little better than the Borla's and I bought in to the "no drone" advertisement. Have to admit to being disappointed. Oh well, isn't the first time and I am sure it won't be the last. Not sure if I plan to keep them or not.

Last edited by creggleton; 9/19/10 at 02:33 PM.
Old 9/19/10, 09:52 AM
V6 Member

Can you please post a video of yours?
Old 9/19/10, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

just need clarification, is this the full catback with the x-pipe or is this a rear axle-back only?
Old 9/19/10, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m4reapr
just need clarification, is this the full catback with the x-pipe or is this a rear axle-back only?
The axlebacks are fine. Apparently when you start adding in the Parts between the cat and the Muffler, the problem is introduced. My Basanni Axlebacks are perfect. Not excessively loud, but no drone either at any RPM or gear. I have 3.73's too. Obviously the resonators serve a purpose...To attenuate some sound, and since they're straight through, no power reduction issues. Mine are staying on, though I may add a shorty X-pipe. Waiting for some impressions on that combo..

Last edited by Modshack; 9/19/10 at 12:00 PM.
Old 9/19/10, 12:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have the full aft-cat with the x-pipe. Sounds like just the axle backs may have been the better way to go. (for me at least)
Old 9/19/10, 12:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
The axlebacks are fine. Apparently when you start adding in the Parts between the cat and the Muffler, the problem is introduced. My Basanni Axlebacks are perfect. Not excessively loud, but no drone either at any RPM or gear. I have 3.73's too. Obviously the resonators serve a purpose...To attenuate some sound, and since they're straight through, no power reduction issues. Mine are staying on, though I may add a shorty X-pipe. Waiting for some impressions on that combo..
Modshack, do you have any video of the axle back? I could only find the catback version.
Old 9/19/10, 12:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I'm looking at the the Bassanis and Borla S-type... I think whichever I go with it will just be the axle-back.
Old 9/19/10, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Minicobra
Modshack, do you have any video of the axle back? I could only find the catback version.

I don't, but that Basanni video of the blue car on the lift is just with the axlebacks.
Old 9/19/10, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

so drone is more than likely with any complete catback
unfortunate for the Bassani as it looks like a very nice setup

i'm also waiting for a sound clip of an x-pipe and axle-backs with everything thing else on the exhaust stock, anybody gone that route?
Old 9/19/10, 05:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a bassani catted x pipe, I find drone at about 1500rpm's but I am almost never there.
Haven't noticed it anywhere else.
Old 9/19/10, 06:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Turn off the over drive? That is if you have an auto.
Old 9/19/10, 11:39 PM
V6 Member

I have the Bassani Cat back and there is drone if cruising on the highway in either 5 or 6. Especially when around 1800-2K RPMS and you try to accelerate.

But to be honest I would take the drone any day because it sounds so FREAKING amazing!

P.S. I also got drone with there axle backs as well
Old 9/22/10, 10:03 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AK 5.0
I would take the drone any day because it sounds so FREAKING amazing!
Take your meds Corky... your crazy is showing.

I don't know ANYONE that would like droning.
The tone is good, the vibration of it reverbing through the cabin and bouncing off the interior.... is like a woodpecker pecking the **** out of your ears.
Old 9/24/10, 04:56 PM

so drone is more than likely with any complete catback

No, this is not true whatsoever. I can tell you for certain that there are no resonance issues with any of the 3 Borla sound levels for the 2011 5.0L Mustang. There is absolutely no drone in any gear, anywhere in the RPM range, automatic or manual. Regardless of whether it's a cat-back or rear-section.

We used a radically new muffler design that incorporates our patented technology. The drone is totally eliminated and there are 3 sound levels to choose from.

Please PM me for more info if interested.
Old 9/26/10, 02:32 AM

Drone = poorly designed exhaust.

This isn't just a GT 5.0 thing, this is something you can experience with any car/engine out there.

This is why people recommend sticking to name brand exhaust companies like Borla and Corsa.
Old 7/17/11, 12:45 PM
GT Member

Installed the Bassani axel backs on my 12 GT500, really like the sound in the lower and mid rpm range, WOT is a little too old truck sounding for me.
Drone doesn't seam to be an issue at freeway speeds, if any, it is really mild.
I'm running the stock H-pipe, hoping if I change to X-pipe it will smooth it out.
Anyone have comparison video of H-pipe vs. X-pipe on the Bassani using stock cats??
Old 2/8/12, 07:35 PM

I just installed the bassani catback with x-pipe on my 2012 GT. It sounds really nice, however it pops/crackles at low rpm and I believe i may have a fitment issue.
I had it installed at a trusted muffler shop ( my 3 other stangs exhaust installed there), and the front passenger side is not rattling. I believe it may be a loose heatshield or anciallry stock item, anyone else notice this. I will confirm w/ David from Borla, I never had drone/ issues w/ my prior stinger systems. I am thinking about sending the bassani back. For $1100 i thought it would be comparable to Borla L@((
Old 2/9/12, 12:26 AM
Cobra R Member

I think a lot of people get their panties in a bunch and don't actually know what "drone" is. Get an 87-93 mustang with 2 chamber flowmasters and no cats and you'll definitely learn what drone is fast lol.

Drone is NOT being able to hear the exhaust while accelerating thru the 2000 rpm range going up hill.

I have the roush axle backs and they are quiet on the highway at any rpm, as long as not accelerating. Lay into the throttle a little (even in 6th) and you will get the tone in the cabin. Again, this is NOT drone.
Old 2/9/12, 10:05 AM
GT Member

You have never experienced drone until you have a set of MACs with no resonators on your 2011-2012 GT. I have run MACs on several cars with just minimal drone. On my Mustang it was unreal...like riding in a Huey with the door open meets Scanners.

Mike
Old 2/9/12, 10:14 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
This is an old thread guys but I have full bassani on my cobra and they drone. They are also prone to leaks because they use a heavy gauge pipe and the flanges take a lot of convincing. Don't like bassani much.

Quick Reply: Life with the Bassani's