Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Just put in the Barton Shift Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/11, 01:05 PM
JAJ
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
Has anyone that installed the bracket have the boot dislodge from the shifter and or tunnel during installation?
The reason I ask is that I am getting a lot of NVH after installing mine.

Edit: I just finished verifying the installation. The boot is in place. I guess I'm more sensitve to the increased noise and vibration than some.
The bracket has made a marked improvement in shifting.
These brackets transmit a lot more noise into the interior because of the bushing design. The stock unit that everyone is slagging is actually quite stiff under load, and soft when it's not. That controls the noise.
Old 6/27/11, 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JAJ
These brackets transmit a lot more noise into the interior because of the bushing design. The stock unit that everyone is slagging is actually quite stiff under load, and soft when it's not. That controls the noise.
The stock bracket is a real quiet design because it hardly makes contact with the shifter and is real soft rubber (softer infact the the rubber on my summer only tires on my GT LOL) That only makes a bad design worse. The Boot can come into contact with the shifter if installed wrong and be moved or pinched when going into reverse the boot is a real pain but once it is on and sealed around the lower ring of the shifter there is a bit more noise and feel but it takes a day or two to adjust. For me anway when i installed it the min noise was more than worth the better shifting whatever you decide i hope you enjoy the car as they are a blast to drive

Last edited by rodmoe; 6/27/11 at 02:33 PM.
Old 6/27/11, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by JAJ
You are absolutely correct. I think most people look at the stock bracket and think what a piece of dung.
I'm sure a considerable amount of time was spent developing the part which appears to be a EPDM rubber molded piece of a fairly soft durometer. It's not a hunk of foam zip tied to the bracket.
It minimizes noise and vibration, it is cost effective to manufacture, it works.
It's not optimized for absolute performance but it gets the job done and lets you use the blue tooth functions without having to strain your ears too much.
Having said all that the Barton bracket does work very well and with everything there is usually a trade off involved.
Old 6/28/11, 05:39 AM
Bullitt Member

It's not a hunk of foam zip tied to the bracket.
Umm ya sad to say it is just that.. Soft and delightfully squishy to the touch

Old 6/28/11, 06:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I for one think alot of people will have some fun/"quality time" with their stock bracket. LOL
Old 6/28/11, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RobDis
That stock bracket is straight crap! Zip ties!?!?!? Are you serious? Wow, who at Ford though that was a good idea! Hats off to Barton for picking up the ball that Ford dropped big time!
Actually Joe Heck racing had the first shifter bracket on the market.. and cheaper.

http://www.hecticparts.com/products/...SPD-TRANS.html
Old 6/28/11, 11:14 PM
JAJ
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
Actually Joe Heck racing had the first shifter bracket on the market.. and cheaper.

http://www.hecticparts.com/products/...SPD-TRANS.html
I have the Delrin bushing version and it works as advertised. The new poly bushing option will be a little less noisy.
Old 6/29/11, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by rodmoe
Umm ya sad to say it is just that.. Soft and delightfully squishy to the touch

I removed the Barton bracket last night and reinstalled the delightfully soft and squishy stock bracket.
Nice to have that limo quiet ride again.
I can still pull a 2-3 powershift without a problem. back at ya!

For anyone looking for a brand new Barton shifter and a Barton bracket with about 2 hours use on it, feel free to PM me and I'll cut you a good deal.
h-f
Old 6/30/11, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you wanted a limo quiet ride, you should've gotten a limo.
Old 6/30/11, 11:01 PM

Maybe I just like a car that doesn't transmit power train noise and vibration into the interior and makes you feel like you're driving a 45 year old Mustang.
I've been there and done that already.
Old 6/30/11, 11:30 PM

I sat in Jed's (JiveFive0) 5.0. The Barton shift bracket makes a HUGE difference in my opinion.

My V6 has all the crappy symptoms. Notchy shifts, random grinds, gear lockouts. Jed's felt a lot smoother.
Old 7/1/11, 04:53 AM
V6 Member

Maybe I just like a car that doesn't transmit power train noise and vibration into the interior and makes you feel like you're driving a 45 year old Mustang.
How much noisier is it? Is the improved shifting feel worth it?
Old 7/1/11, 05:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jrs817

How much noisier is it? Is the improved shifting feel worth it?
I can't hear mine over the exhaust or radio at low volume. The shifts are more direct or precise so I say worth every dollar. I also have a Steeda shifter.
Old 7/1/11, 12:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Agree....Some mods you make you wish you hadn't for just this reason. I've already removed my Poly bushed lower control arms. They were noisy and clunked and sounded/felt very unsophisticated on what is a pretty well dialed driveline.

I'm running just the Barton bracket on the stock shifter and haven't found any noise issues there. Shifting precision is improved a bit with not much downside.
Old 7/1/11, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess to each his own, I personally like the feedback since this is a muscle car and not a luxury type car with quiet cabin, etc. I usually love hearing the engine and the exhaust note, i mean this thing is a beast and hearing it is one of the many perks. I really like the way the shifter feels now, its solid, easy to shift and i honestly don't hear too much or any noise coming from it.

But if you like the way the stock shifter feels then more power to ya. The main purpose of this thread was to demonstrate the difference and what i feel is a advantage to installing the barton bracket vs stock. I do appreicate both sides of the fence chiming in though, this helps others decide if they are on the fence.
Old 7/1/11, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just replaced my shifter bracket with the Barton unit tonight. It was a little more difficult to install than I had originally thought, but I was on a crawler in my driveway, and I had **** mosquitoes biting at my elbows the whole time.

Haven't had a chance to test-drive it yet, but initial impressions are very favorable. Left-right shifting is much more controlled, and it honestly feels like a direct shifter now. I also have the Tri-Ax installed. It's a great combo.

On a final note, I ordered mine direct from Dave at Barton. He was a great guy, gave me a great deal, and had it to my door in three days flat. Have nothing but great things to say about them.