Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

JLT Intake REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/11, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up JLT Intake REVIEW

Good afternoon everyone!

I'm usually not the one to write reviews but I just had to share my experience with everyone!

Well I purchased this intake (JLT, plastic NOT the CF one) from LMR. The shipping was fast and it was boxed nicely. The install was fairly straight forward except for one part. And I blame this against myself!!! Upon installing the MAF sensor on the new intake tube, i dropped one of the screws inside the engine bay (CRAP!). Couldn't locate it, so I drove to Lowe's to pickup a spare (they carry the same size screws and fit perfectly! FYI). Total install (minus losing the screw) took a total of 45 min. easy breezy! Uploaded the new BBR 91 Tune and it started right up!

Just the whooshing sound of an intake is SO INTOXICATING! Unfortunately, it was raining last night and couldn't take it out for a spin...Fast forward to today, nice and sunny out. Throttle is nice and solid. First gear, I didn't give it much, but accelerating from 2nd gear at about 2500rpms is just tire shredding! The intake made a super loud WHOOSH sound going from 2nd to 3rd at about 6900 RPMS with a very violent tire screeching noise! HOLY COW! The pull is SO STRONG compared to stock its almost hard to describe. I don't condone speeding or street racing but I had an opportunity to open her up without any traffic around me. 100-160 mph came FAST and by looking at the RPM meter, she was still going! I totally recommend this intake w/BBR 91 tune. I'll post pics when i get a chance (weather took a crap on me again!) THANKS

Last edited by elscorcho; 2/19/11 at 04:46 PM.
Old 2/19/11, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the review. My next mod will be a CAI. JLT is on my short list and I am interested in how it performs.
Old 2/19/11, 08:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice, i was gonna get the JLT painted to match car.. good to hear it has good reviews.. I just have to keep checking with BAMA to see if they got a tune for it..
Old 2/20/11, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Very good to hear! Congratulations on the purchase/install. I'm ready to take the plunge.
Old 2/20/11, 10:19 AM

Magnetic personality

Hey, ElScorcho,

Next time you have a loose screw, try using a telescoping magnet to locate it -- assuming it's magnetic!

No doubt, a CAI system and corresponding tune is the quickest, cheapest and easiest way of picking up a noticeable bump in hp and tq. No way a loud exhaust system can compete. And it's so easy to revert to stock tune and intake parts if there are warranty concerns.
Attached Thumbnails JLT Intake REVIEW-pict0271.jpg   JLT Intake REVIEW-pict0272.jpg  
Old 2/21/11, 05:55 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daddyd666
Yes but as I found out with my 07 gt a cai and tune will void your warranty!! Even if you re flash the factory tune and put the factory intake box back on they can tell your car has been altered!! And because everything is set higher with a race tune you will be extremely lucky if you find a dealer to service your car under warranty when they know you had a race tune on there.....they can tell you flashed a tune on your car even if you put the factory one back on!! Cai dealers won't tell you this but I found out the hard way that use a cai and tune at your own risk and if something happens expect to have problems with warranty work!! Just telling ya! From my experience
This has been discussed numerous times...they don't just "void your warranty". Due to the Magnuson-Moss Act, they have to prove that it directly caused a part to fail. What they do, instead, is strong arm owners into thinking that their warranty is void, when in fact it's illegal to void for that. Also, they're not going to void your warranty on the radio for you having a CAI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Don't spread misinformation. It just leads to more confusion.

OP, when you put the MAF in, it didn't tell you to do that before you put it on the car? Seems backwards. Got any pics of the install?

Last edited by Overboost; 2/21/11 at 05:58 AM.
Old 2/21/11, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by elscorcho
Good afternoon everyone!

I'm usually not the one to write reviews but I just had to share my experience with everyone!

Well I purchased this intake (JLT, plastic NOT the CF one) from LMR. The shipping was fast and it was boxed nicely. The install was fairly straight forward except for one part. And I blame this against myself!!! Upon installing the MAF sensor on the new intake tube, i dropped one of the screws inside the engine bay (CRAP!). Couldn't locate it, so I drove to Lowe's to pickup a spare (they carry the same size screws and fit perfectly! FYI). Total install (minus losing the screw) took a total of 45 min. easy breezy! Uploaded the new BBR 91 Tune and it started right up!

Just the whooshing sound of an intake is SO INTOXICATING! Unfortunately, it was raining last night and couldn't take it out for a spin...Fast forward to today, nice and sunny out. Throttle is nice and solid. First gear, I didn't give it much, but accelerating from 2nd gear at about 2500rpms is just tire shredding! The intake made a super loud WHOOSH sound going from 2nd to 3rd at about 6900 RPMS with a very violent tire screeching noise! HOLY COW! The pull is SO STRONG compared to stock its almost hard to describe. I don't condone speeding or street racing but I had an opportunity to open her up without any traffic around me. 100-160 mph came FAST and by looking at the RPM meter, she was still going! I totally recommend this intake w/BBR 91 tune. I'll post pics when i get a chance (weather took a crap on me again!) THANKS
Well, thank you for the glowing review and thanks for choosing JLT

Yes but as I found out with my 07 gt a cai and tune will void your warranty!! Even if you re flash the factory tune and put the factory intake box back on they can tell your car has been altered!! And because everything is set higher with a race tune you will be extremely lucky if you find a dealer to service your car under warranty when they know you had a race tune on there.....they can tell you flashed a tune on your car even if you put the factory one back on!! Cai dealers won't tell you this but I found out the hard way that use a cai and tune at your own risk and if something happens expect to have problems with warranty work!! Just telling ya! From my experience
Sounds like your dealer handed you a load of crap and you excepted it.

The dealer can not tell what CAI, what tune, what octane rating the tune was for or what the tune did to your computer.

All they can tell is that the computer has been cleared at some point and they will assume you had a tune in it.
You can clear the computer by clearing a CEL at your local auto parts store for ... say.. a loose gas cap or anything simple.

If your dealer says you must have had a JLT CAI and BBR tune rated for 100 octane race gas, call their bluff

They also need to proce the A/M part on your car was the cause of your problem.

We tell everyone who asks, to contact your dealer and ask them how they feel about mods like this.
I have not had a single call from a customer who had a issue and we also have several Ford dealers as JLT dealers. They install them for the customers right there.
Old 2/21/11, 09:50 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hes in canada and the rules may differ alittle.

Ford would be hard pressed to prove why the ford racing cai is ok and why aftermarket cai's not be ok.
Old 2/21/11, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang

Ford would be hard pressed to prove why the ford racing cai is ok and why aftermarket cai's not be ok.
The Ford racing parts are looked at as 3rd party aftermarket as well. They do not say its ok. Some of the FR parts come with their own warranty but they can void the factory one just as easily as any other aftermarket part.
Old 2/21/11, 10:51 AM
SD6
Bullitt Member

You are absolutely correct. In Canada we don't have a magnuson-moss warranty act like you have. But we do have an arbitration body that consumers can go to for resolution for disputes between manufacturers and consumers. So (like you and others have said) Ford would have to prove that the modification caused part X to fail.
Old 2/21/11, 01:59 PM
GTR Member

It's not false information, I had this problem happen to me and in Canada we don't have this magnuson act....and being that there is only one ford dealer in my city I'd they say it's void and caused a problem well it's just that void. Unless you want to get a lawyer and dish out tons of money.
SD6 explained your options. It comes down to being informed. If you know enough about the topic, you can prevent getting raked over the coals by your dealer. You don't need a lawyer to protect yourself. Like Tucker said, someone fed you some BS, and you ate it up like a sandwich.
Old 2/21/11, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
SD6 explained your options. It comes down to being informed. If you know enough about the topic, you can prevent getting raked over the coals by your dealer. You don't need a lawyer to protect yourself. Like Tucker said, someone fed you some BS, and you ate it up like a sandwich.
Dude, thats a little harsh. The guy never even said what the warranty work that was denied was for. Suppose the engine ran lean and to cause the problem? Then even in the US hew would get denied.
Old 2/21/11, 04:24 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by falhulk
The Ford racing parts are looked at as 3rd party aftermarket as well. They do not say its ok. Some of the FR parts come with their own warranty but they can void the factory one just as easily as any other aftermarket part.
infact ford does not void your warranty for using ford parts. They only request the parts be installed at a dealer or certifited shop.

my 2007 with full warranty.

my 2008 SGT
Old 2/21/11, 04:45 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

infact ford does not void your warranty for using ford parts. They only request the parts be installed at a dealer or certifited shop.

SHWING!
Old 2/21/11, 07:08 PM

Here's the pic!
Old 2/21/11, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

my 2008 SGT
it depends. If you buy the part with the car it will be warranted. If you bought that supercharger later, Ford racing provides a warranty. Ford motor company will not honor warranty on the powertrain at all. They are 2 different companies and it does matter. Call you dealer and ask him...hell, go to Ford racings site and see that they provide the warranty.
Old 2/21/11, 08:00 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh and by the way the Jlt intake made my car run lean and in turn caused problems with my car! So ya they will void your warranty if you have anything that even may slightly be related to the intake!
Would that have been caused by the tune?
Old 2/21/11, 08:03 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Would that have been caused by the tune?
That is my thought too, not as much a fault of the intake as the tune that was used.
Old 2/21/11, 08:05 PM

Oh and by the way the Jlt intake made my car run lean and in turn caused problems with my car! So ya they will void your warranty if you have anything that even may slightly be related to the intake!
What tune did you have?
Old 2/21/11, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You mean the PCM calibration you ran with the intake was lean?

edit: I was late to the party, and the guy's just mindless ranting at this point.

Last edited by CaptDistraction; 2/21/11 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: JLT Intake REVIEW