Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Installed the Roush axle backs today

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/11, 07:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Installed the Roush axle backs today

I didn't loosen the mid pipes like the instructions said because i had read others did it without doing it. In retrospect that probably would have been a good idea! The passenger side muffler came off without too much effort but man the driver's side kicked my butt! I had to end up unbolting the front hanger to get it out. There was just too much stuff in the way! Namely the mid pipe! And when I put the Roush mufflers in I just went ahead and removed the front hanger bracket on both sides and put them on the mufflers and then bolted them back in place. Other people here said that you needed to remove the clamps from the stock mufflers, which i did, only to find out that Roush included all the necessary clamps with the kit. I should have checked first. I guess it goes without saying but I'm no expert mechanic. But I installed axle backs on my 05 and 06 myself and never had this much trouble.

I didn't do any videos but there are tons of them out there so i didn't see the point. They sound awesome! Not really all that loud on startup, that kinda surprised me. But loud enough. These things really scream when you rev it but at cruising speed they sound about like the stockers. I'm not hearing any drone. My 06 had Borlas(almost too loud) and then GTAs(almost too quiet), I would say that these are somewhere in between those two if that gives you any idea. I'm getting a lot of burbling on deceleration, which is cool but at times it almost sounds like the car is backfiring. Will that lessen as the mufflers break in? Are you guys getting that? Also, what are you guys doing with the stock mufflers?

Last edited by Thomas S; 4/30/11 at 07:04 PM.
Old 4/30/11, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could have an exhaust leak thats causing the backfires. After a week or so look where the mufflers connect to the midpipe for any soot or carbon leaking out of the connection.
Old 5/1/11, 04:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by going for broke
You could have an exhaust leak thats causing the backfires. After a week or so look where the mufflers connect to the midpipe for any soot or carbon leaking out of the connection.
Ok I was thinking that might be it. I will check that out, thanks!
Old 5/1/11, 06:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Backfiring due to a leak at the axle-back connection is unlikely… The popping, burble that you described is more of the characteristic of the Roush set-up. I have the Roush Extreme Cat-backs w/PHRP H and experience the same… My car sounds similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSEJeEW5XcE
Old 5/1/11, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine has gotten much louder during start up it seems. She roars to life now, about 1 month after install. I do notice a slight amount of popping action, but I think its normal.
Old 5/4/11, 03:57 PM
GT Member

Thom stick with the stock midpipes with the Roushs. Mine sounded great. I then added an O/R X and it became too loud and raspy for me. The GT 500s don't sound as good imo with the stock midpipe. With the O/R X the gt 500s sounded much better. Just been my experience. Oh and the guy that bought mine, really preffered the aftermarket rolled tips I had on there.
Old 5/4/11, 06:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Axle backs are definitely much trickier on 11+ cars than the older 4.6 s197s!

Thomas, what do you think of this exhaust now that you have had them on for a while?
Old 5/5/11, 02:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by firestang70
Thom stick with the stock midpipes with the Roushs. Mine sounded great. I then added an O/R X and it became too loud and raspy for me. The GT 500s don't sound as good imo with the stock midpipe. With the O/R X the gt 500s sounded much better. Just been my experience. Oh and the guy that bought mine, really preffered the aftermarket rolled tips I had on there.
Sorry i didn't get yours man, I was still on the fence at the time. I knew you'd sell them quick at that price though.

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Axle backs are definitely much trickier on 11+ cars than the older 4.6 s197s!

Thomas, what do you think of this exhaust now that you have had them on for a while?
They are LOUD! Almost too loud! Or maybe I'm just getting old. They sound great but i wish they weren't quite so loud at light throttle. The wife loves them believe it or not lol. Most people that have heard them seem to like them.
Old 5/9/11, 01:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Thomas S
...The wife loves them believe it or not lol. Most people that have heard them seem to like them.

I had SLP Loudmouths on my '08 GT/California Special. Man, my wife HATED that sound. Kid dug the throaty sound though, as did I!

I'm debating what to get on my new 5.0...
Old 5/9/11, 04:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by y2kcbr

I had SLP Loudmouths on my '08 GT/California Special. Man, my wife HATED that sound. Kid dug the throaty sound though, as did I!

I'm debating what to get on my new 5.0...

Well the Roush's seem to be universally loved. I don't think they would be too loud for you since you had Loudmouths.
Old 5/9/11, 05:26 PM
GT Member

Yup. That's where I was looking. That and a tuner and maybe cams. Should make the Coyote purr like a kitten

Last edited by y2kcbr; 5/9/11 at 05:28 PM.