Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Installed my Steeda CAI & added color

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/12, 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed my Steeda CAI & added color

Well, today I installed my Steeda CAI and added some color and a little bling to the engine bay. Kona Blue in the engine bay can get a little lost in the shadows, but otherwise, I liked how it turned out (considering I used spray paint in a can).

Here's what I ordered and installed:
Steeda CAI with SCT Custom tune (Power Pack)
Emblempros.com - 5.0 GT Engine Cover Bundle Trim Kit - Laser-Cut Mirror Stainless Steel
American Muscle - Chrome Strut Tower Caps & Nuts

I have hood struts coming and will install them next weekend. I also have a couple of more ideas for paint and will add some additional aluminum billet pieces in the future.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Installed my Steeda CAI & added color-engine-bay-1.jpg   Installed my Steeda CAI & added color-engine-bay-2.jpg   Installed my Steeda CAI & added color-engine-bay-3.jpg   Installed my Steeda CAI & added color-engine-bay-4.jpg   Installed my Steeda CAI & added color-engine-bay-5.jpg  

Installed my Steeda CAI & added color-engine-bay-6.jpg  
Old 9/22/12, 11:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Came out really nice man. The covers in Kona add just enough color to make it stand out.
Old 9/23/12, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Nick...I appreciate your comments... Lou

Originally Posted by conv_stang
Came out really nice man. The covers in Kona add just enough color to make it stand out.
Old 9/23/12, 11:37 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice looking engine bay.
Old 9/23/12, 11:51 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Looks very good
Old 9/23/12, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice!!!,but the main question is how is the CAI and tune? Power,driveability,etc.!!!
Old 9/23/12, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks good, except for the red cord.
Old 9/23/12, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ponywars
Nice!!!,but the main question is how is the CAI and tune? Power,driveability,etc.!!!
Danny:

Member 2012GT (Troy) wrote about the install and I will have to agree with him 110%. I'm no auto mechanic, but I do have a mechanical background working on helicopters, and I’m here to tell you, the instructions and corresponding pictures were not very good. With today's digital cameras and inexpensive color copiers, I don't understand why Steeda could not put together a nice 3 or 4 page instruction manual with text corresponding with a clear HD picture. The instructions I received with the CAI used fonts that was small (I'm getting old and need reading glasses) and wordy. The black & white pictures that were used were not very clear. For the money you spend on these two products (CAI & tune), you would think that Steeda could spend a little money updating their instructions. Heck, something as simple as letting the mechanic know what tools are needed would be very beneficial.

Anyway, toward the end of the install, I finally just threw them aside and finished the install on my own. And if Steeda reads this, I went to their website and YouTube looking for an install video and could not find one. If there is one and I missed it, my bad…but Steeda should seriously consider putting together an install video.

If you look closely at my install, you will see that I used 6x1/2 screws to keep the rubber trim on the shield. Steeda recommends using contact cement, but I decided to go with screws. Either way, there is no way this rubber trim will stay on the shield with all the curves that the shield has.

Now, let me be positive. I commend Steeda for engineering a fine looking CAI and now that I've installed it once, I'm sure I can install a new one in 90 minutes or less. But for a beginner, no way it can be done in one hour.

I can't wait to show off my engine bay at my next car show or to friends.
Power and sound is incredible. You definitely can feel a difference in how the car responds to throttle inputs and shifts. Prior to the install, I never managed to get a second, or for that matter, a third gear scratch in WOT. Well, that's not an issue now Shifting into second generated one hell of a scratch and third gear wasn't bad either.

Normal driving, and before the CAI and tune, car felt lazy. I attributed this to having any automatic. But now the car feels much stronger and 1st thru 3rd gear shifts are much firmer. I love it!!

btw, I'm using a 91 octane tune...93 octane fuel is very hard to find in this small town I live in.

Hope this helps…Lou

Last edited by Lou_n_Ada; 9/23/12 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 9/23/12, 03:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponywars
Wondering same thing, as I am assembling mine right now.

Another question is ....will the tune and Cai pass emissions for inspection?

I went to AmericanMuscle site for the Steeda install, a customer added step by step.

Last edited by UnrealFord; 9/23/12 at 03:24 PM.
Old 9/23/12, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BackinBlack13
Looks good, except for the red cord.
Yes!! I agree with you. I was looking at my pictures and noticed that also...I plan on addressing this next weekend when I install my hood struts.
Old 9/23/12, 03:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lou_n_Ada
Yes!! I agree with you. I was looking at my pictures and noticed that also...I plan on addressing this next weekend when I install my hood struts.
Cool.
Old 9/23/12, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
Wondering same thing, as I am assembling mine right now.

Another question is ....will the tune and Cai pass emissions for inspection?
Good question...but I don't know and since my state doesn't have car inspections, never thought about it.

Once you find out, I'm sure other members would like to know...good luck on your install...Lou
Old 9/24/12, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor

Well, today I installed my Steeda CAI and added some color and a little bling to the engine bay. Kona Blue in the engine bay can get a little lost in the shadows, but otherwise, I liked how it turned out (considering I used spray paint in a can).

Emblempros.com - 5.0 GT Engine Cover Bundle Trim Kit - Laser-Cut Mirror Stainless Steel

I have hood struts coming and will install them next weekend. I also have a couple of more ideas for paint and will add some additional aluminum billet pieces in the future.

Lou
Lou,

Glad to hear you liked your CAI! Your engine bay looks great!

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.
Old 9/24/12, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor

Lou
Great job man, I think everything looks great! This is definitely a unique set up that you don't see to often. Keep up the great work, let me know if you ever need any assistance!

-Dan
Old 9/24/12, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
Lou,

Glad to hear you liked your CAI! Your engine bay looks great!

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.
Thanks Brandon...appreciate the comment

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
Great job man, I think everything looks great! This is definitely a unique set up that you don't see to often. Keep up the great work, let me know if you ever need any assistance!

-Dan
Dan...I'm sure you have seen many Mustang engine bays, so your opinion of "unique set up" puts a smile on my face...thanks!!
Old 9/25/12, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks great
Old 9/25/12, 08:30 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Great look Lou. Hopefully I can see it coming down i40 again soon!
Old 9/25/12, 09:22 AM
Former Vendor

Dan...I'm sure you have seen many Mustang engine bays, so your opinion of "unique set up" puts a smile on my face...thanks!!
I have seen and worked on literally thousands of Mustangs. I would be really proud of my set up if I were you!

Let me know if I can ever be of any assistance!

-Dan
Old 9/25/12, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
I have seen and worked on literally thousands of Mustangs. I would be really proud of my set up if I were you!

Let me know if I can ever be of any assistance!

-Dan
Thanks Dan...will do!!
Old 9/25/12, 12:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06blackvertstang
Great look Lou. Hopefully I can see it coming down i40 again soon!
Thanks Bro!!

Quick Reply: Installed my Steeda CAI & added color