5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Important info, warranty w/ Ford's verious S/C kits

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/10, 03:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Important info, warranty w/ Ford's verious S/C kits

http://www.fordmuscle.com/2010/08/20...tory-warranty/

August 25, 2011 This years Woodward Dream Cruise has been chock full of surprises from Ford. First it was showing off the new 2011 Boss 302 Mustang. Then a strong showing by the new Fiesta. And yesterday Ford and Ford Racing announced a Roush/Whipple developed twin-screw supercharger kit for the 2011 Mustang 5.0L.

For $7000 or so you get the 2.3L twin-screw supercharger, a specially designed intake manifold, an air-to-liquid intercooler system, 47 lb/hr fuel injectors, and a new tune via the Ford RacingProCal tool. This setup produces 7 pounds of boost and yields 525 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque – oh, 50 state smog legal too. That is a gain of 113 hp and 80 pound-feet over the factory normally-aspirated rating of 412 hp at 6,500 rpm and 390 lb-ft of torque at 4,250.

An optional 9 psi pulley is available if you should desire 624 horsepower and 536lb-ft of torque. However, the 9 psi kit was apparently just a bit much for state bureaucrats, and is not smog legal in all states.

This is the most interesting part that sparked the question.
Perhaps the most compelling news is that Ford is offering a 12-mo/12,000 warranty on the 525 horsepower supercharger kit IF you have it installed at a Ford dealership. Yes you will pay an arm and a leg for installation, but maybe the peace of mind is worth it. The warranty is not offered in any form on the 9 psi kit. installation of either kit, however, does not void the factory warranties.

------------------------------------so....

Does this mean if I install the 600+hp kit, the S/C won't be covered under warranty, but my motor still is if something happens...assuming I install it at a dealer.

So the 500hp kit has warranty on the s/c and motor if dealer installed...
the 600hp kit has warranty on the motor only, not s/c, if dealer installed...

So....my question is...Installing either kit not at the dealer does what to your motor's warranty then?
Old 11/17/10, 06:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, logic would dictate that if you don't have them installed by Ford, then regardless of the kit, if your engine were to blow (for anything other than an obvious factory defect) you are out of luck.
Old 11/17/10, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
Well, logic would dictate that if you don't have them installed by Ford, then regardless of the kit, if your engine were to blow (for anything other than an obvious factory defect) you are out of luck.
So what about the 600+kit if dealer installed. It says no warranty if dealer installed, but then it also says there is.
Old 11/17/10, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I think you're misinterpreting the "factory warranty is not void" part. That doesn't specifically state that if you blow the motor, they will cover it.

Many dealers tend to point out modifications, and say hey, we're not covering any repairs under warranty, it's void because of your changes. This has never been true, but dealers try to weasel their way out of doing cheaper work all the time. Ford appears to simply be clarifying that no, your warranty is not automatically rendered void just from getting our superchargers.
Old 11/17/10, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
I think you're misinterpreting the "factory warranty is not void" part. That doesn't specifically state that if you blow the motor, they will cover it.

Many dealers tend to point out modifications, and say hey, we're not covering any repairs under warranty, it's void because of your changes. This has never been true, but dealers try to weasel their way out of doing cheaper work all the time. Ford appears to simply be clarifying that no, your warranty is not automatically rendered void just from getting our superchargers.
they mean other than the engine basically...
Old 11/17/10, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

That's what I gather from reading it, yes. That doesn't mean to say random occurences to the engine wouldn't be covered. If the motor blows due to a cracked valve, then no, they probably wouldn't cover it. But if, lol, your oil pan fell off or something on the highway, then I'm sure they would repair any damage caused by that non-related occurence.
Old 2/1/11, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone call a dealer parts dept to get a solid answer?
Old 2/2/11, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by starbai
Anyone call a dealer parts dept to get a solid answer?
I think that will vary from dealer to dealer. Mine said it will void the engine and drive train warranty because it's "too much power". Looking for another dealer.
Old 2/3/11, 03:21 PM
V6 Member

Is Ford going to offer these supercharger kits for autos?
Old 2/4/11, 08:52 AM

Thumbs up

I spoke wIth a Roush Ford Dealership and they said the install of a supercharger would void my new car warranty.
Old 2/7/11, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Omcar
I spoke wIth a Roush Ford Dealership and they said the install of a supercharger would void my new car warranty.
this is exactly what my dealership told me as well. They said that a 3rd party insurance company to cover "engine replacement" via engine mods would be the best route if I don't feel like forking over $7000 for a new motor install.

I'm still going to sit on the side lines to see who's engine blows first from one of these kits and wait to see what the dealership says when it actually comes time to replace the destroyed engine.
Old 2/8/11, 12:16 PM
V6 Member

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...es_engine.html

From Page 6...

The Coyote team says the forged. powdered-metal connecting rod is the least robust link in the 5.0 chain. Engineers noted it is absolutely strong enough for its naturally aspirated application in the Mustang, but just absolutely strong enough. It's worth noting that while the Coyote rod shares its big- and small-end diameters plus its center-to-center length with the 4.6 rod, the Coyote rod has been redesigned to more evenly distribute bearing loads and is definitely an improved piece.

Most ominously, supercharging will require a stronger forged rod, so we expect to see those, and, no doubt, a short-block in the FRPP catalog before long. This adds a whole new layer of commitment to bolting a blower on a Coyote. We'll have to let the brave among us prove the standard Coyote rods' boost tolerance. For those planning on a rod-exchanging teardown right away, Ford says the Cobra's Manley forged rod will just fit, but you must be careful. No word on how to package a forged piston and rod combination.

///

Wonder how many folks will throw on a blower without beefing up the engine?
Old 2/8/11, 09:08 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Drew2000
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...es_engine.html

From Page 6...

The Coyote team says the forged. powdered-metal connecting rod is the least robust link in the 5.0 chain. Engineers noted it is absolutely strong enough for its naturally aspirated application in the Mustang, but just absolutely strong enough. It's worth noting that while the Coyote rod shares its big- and small-end diameters plus its center-to-center length with the 4.6 rod, the Coyote rod has been redesigned to more evenly distribute bearing loads and is definitely an improved piece.

Most ominously, supercharging will require a stronger forged rod, so we expect to see those, and, no doubt, a short-block in the FRPP catalog before long. This adds a whole new layer of commitment to bolting a blower on a Coyote. We'll have to let the brave among us prove the standard Coyote rods' boost tolerance. For those planning on a rod-exchanging teardown right away, Ford says the Cobra's Manley forged rod will just fit, but you must be careful. No word on how to package a forged piston and rod combination.

///

Wonder how many folks will throw on a blower without beefing up the engine?
That quote's been thrown around a lot lately, often by the "this engine can't take boost" crowd. There are several people who've boosted their 2011 5.0's. Lethal Performance is making way over 600 horsepower to the wheels with a 2.9L Whipple and their car has several quarter-mile runs on it. Judging from the videos they've posted, none of them appear "easy." Spankin' Time Motorsports is making over 600 horsepower, too, with a Kenne Bell 2.8L; again, this car's seen the track quite often. There's a guy here and a few guys over on Modularfords' forums that are running the FRPP / Whipple 2.3L kit.

Like the 3V 4.6L it replaced, I think the new 5.0L will hold up fine if the tune is right, the boost is kept relatively low and people don't abuse the heck out of it!

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea..._gt/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...two/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...kit/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ing/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...est/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...est/index.html

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1556

The above Roush kit, even though it's relatively low on power and torque output when compared to some other kits, is offered with a 3-year / 36,000-mile powertrain warranty. Seeing as how Roush does quite a bit of engineering, calibration and testing for Ford, I don't think they'd take a financial risk of that magnitude by offering a warranty if they felt the engine would grenade under boost.

Last edited by MARZ; 2/8/11 at 09:10 PM.
Old 2/10/11, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by MARZ
Seeing as how Roush does quite a bit of engineering, calibration and testing for Ford, I don't think they'd take a financial risk of that magnitude by offering a warranty if they felt the engine would grenade under boost.
Exactly.