Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Which headers to pair with Borla ATAK catback?

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/11, 05:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which headers to pair with Borla ATAK catback?

I am currently installing my Borla ATAK catback exhaust system and I was wondering which headers I should pair it with... I have heard good things about American Racing headers on the 5.0's; any other suggestions (kooks, bbk, jba)? Also, what are the specifics to the fit of headers to the X-pipe that came with the Borla system? Forgive my ignorance; this is all new to me. Thanks!
Old 5/21/11, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have arh's and they are unbelievable with sound, look and quality. The Lt's will come with their own x pipe. U won't be able to use yours.
Old 5/21/11, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mystickeith50
I have arh's and they are unbelievable with sound, look and quality. The Lt's will come with their own x pipe. U won't be able to use yours.
Any headers available (besides the borla ones) that will fit my current x-pipe? I'd rather save the $ if I can...
Old 5/21/11, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Unless I'm mistaken any Lt's u get, u will need a dif x pipe. It will be half the length.
Old 5/21/11, 11:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mystickeith50
Unless I'm mistaken any Lt's u get, u will need a dif x pipe. It will be half the length.
Are you still 50 state legal?
Old 5/22/11, 05:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes.
Old 5/22/11, 08:45 AM
V6 Member

Once you get those headers I would love to hear a sound clip cause I one day want headers
Old 5/22/11, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

if your borla midpipe has the same flared ends as the stock hpipe and it is in the same location (which i believe are both the same), you need these JPCRacing headers if you want to keep what you already have and just add the headers. looks like they are on sale too.

JPC Headers
Old 5/22/11, 10:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m4reapr
if your borla midpipe has the same flared ends as the stock hpipe and it is in the same location (which i believe are both the same), you need these JPCRacing headers if you want to keep what you already have and just add the headers. looks like they are on sale too.

JPC Headers
Any experience with JPC? I'm very unknowledgeable on headers unfortunately...
Old 5/22/11, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
Any experience with JPC? I'm very unknowledgeable on headers unfortunately...
no, not personally but they have a very quick 2011 and are considered a very reputable shop in the Mustang community = no B.S.

they made 422 hp with their proprietary headers, offroad-x, catback and axlebacks which also included a JLT intake and a corresponding tune

the power they made is right in line with the other mfg's you listed but their car is an automatic which usually show to produce less whp than the manuals

i only pointed them out to you since you already have a catback and going with any other brand would require ditching the catback, using stock catback and buying the midpipe that goes with whatever headers you choose

they have a thread on another forum (not sure if i should list name, ok or not?) but you have to reg. to see it

Last edited by m4reapr; 5/22/11 at 11:53 AM.
Old 5/22/11, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m4reapr

no, not personally but they have a very quick 2011 and are considered a very reputable shop in the Mustang community = no B.S.

they made 422 hp with their proprietary headers, offroad-x, catback and axlebacks which also included a JLT intake and a corresponding tune

the power they made is right in line with the other mfg's you listed but their car is an automatic which usually show to produce less whp than the manuals

i only pointed them out to you since you already have a catback and going with any other brand would require ditching the catback, using stock catback and buying the midpipe that goes with whatever headers you choose

they have a thread on another forum (not sure if i should list name, ok or not?) but you have to reg. to see it
Thanks for the help... Sounds like thats the route I'll go. I'll drop you a line when the day comes...
Old 8/1/11, 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am currently installing my Borla ATAK catback exhaust system and I was wondering which headers I should pair it with... I have heard good things about American Racing headers on the 5.0's; any other suggestions (kooks, bbk, jba)? Also, what are the specifics to the fit of headers to the X-pipe that came with the Borla system? Forgive my ignorance; this is all new to me. Thanks!

first of all, good choice on the borla ATAK system! sounds so sexy. second, if youre going with one of their exhaust systems, then why not look into their XR-1 full length headers? theyre available for the 2011+ mustang.
Old 8/1/11, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I have been looking at those lately... I was just unsure as to their legality... Either way I have to wait a little now because just dropped all my fun $ on the boss mani and CAI... Can't wait til the day comes!
Old 8/1/11, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have been looking at those lately... I was just unsure as to their legality... Either way I have to wait a little now because just dropped all my fun $ on the boss mani and CAI... Can't wait til the day comes!

lol i completly understand the blowing your fun $. in terms of the XR-1 legality, theyre 50 state legal, borla just says theyre meant for off-road use meaning track and drag racing but if you use them on a daily driver, youre gonna be just fine. and if a cop decides to pull you over, its probably cause your car sounds amazing. hows the boss intake treating you? ive heard nothing but good things.
Old 8/1/11, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03

lol i completly understand the blowing your fun $. in terms of the XR-1 legality, theyre 50 state legal, borla just says theyre meant for off-road use meaning track and drag racing but if you use them on a daily driver, youre gonna be just fine. and if a cop decides to pull you over, its probably cause your car sounds amazing. hows the boss intake treating you? ive heard nothing but good things.
I love it... Hard to compare to my old setup because I did the mani, CAI, and 93 octane tune all at once so it's like a totally different vehicle now. Picks up crazy at 5000. Super fun, and it looks great. Headers and short throw next, then who knows?
Old 8/1/11, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love it... Hard to compare to my old setup because I did the mani, CAI, and 93 octane tune all at once so it's like a totally different vehicle now. Picks up crazy at 5000. Super fun, and it looks great. Headers and short throw next, then who knows?

umm ya the high RPM performance on the 5.0 blows my mind and im sure its even more amazing with your set up. ive already offered my advice on headers. if youre not feeling the borla ones then id go with either kooks or american racing. for the short throw, id go with either the steeda short throw or the brand new hurst short throw (taking pre-orders now). if you go with steeda, make sure and get the new mounting bracket otherwise the stock bracket will start to wobble and cause problems. and if you decide not to go with either of those, check out MGW. their brand new COMPLETE short throw shifter system should be released soon. keep me posted!
Old 8/5/11, 12:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
lol i completly understand the blowing your fun $. in terms of the XR-1 legality, theyre 50 state legal
They may be 49 state legal but not in California.There are no legal longtubes in California with CARB E.O.# they relocate the cats and do not pass visual inspection.

just pointing this out for any Californians wanting to do Longtubes

Last edited by zilla8; 8/5/11 at 12:57 AM.