Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Has anyone installed the Heartthrob axleback kit?

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/11, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone installed the Heartthrob axleback kit?

I already have the Hushpowers and bought this kit that goes from the headers to the mufflers. A friend and I both with above average mechanical skills got the stock system out fairly easily but wrestled with the Hushpower kit for 3+ hours with no luck. The pipe to header connection is a ball joint so no wiggle room there. The rest of the joints are male/female and slide into one another. When you hold the pieces up where they belong, everything appears to fit but there is no wiggle room to slide the pipes back and into the female pipe. Seems like the H-pipe is about 1.5" too long. Being just that little bit shorter would give me the wiggle room I need....just hesitant to cut on a "bolt-in kit".

Anyone else run into this before?
Old 7/9/11, 11:59 AM
V6 Member

I'm running the heartthrob axle backs from cat all the way back. My buddy and I didn't have too much problems on install. We worked from the cats back and installing the "muffler" last.
Are you trying to do this with the hush powers still on? It might be easier with em off.
Old 7/9/11, 12:42 PM

hmmm...yes, we tried working with the mufflers on but now have them off. It didn't make much difference. Were you able to shift the aft pipe back enough to slide it into the pipe ahead of it each time or did you have to fight with it? With the car jacked up as high as it can go, I can get the h-pipe into the over the axle pipe at an angle but the angle is too sharp to push it up to the bottom of the car, straight and level.

Pretty frustrated and now thinking about taking it to the muffler shop.
Old 7/10/11, 08:24 PM
V6 Member

Hmm. I had mine on a lift. If I remember correctly I had to slide the over axles on to the attached h-pipe. It was a little tight but we were able to get it to work. But like I said it was on a lift and we had plenty of room to throw our weight on it.
Old 7/10/11, 09:09 PM

I see.....boy a lift would sure be nice and might be a necessity for this to work. I emailed Heartthrob and told them about my troubles. I have an appointment with a local muffler shop this week and will just have to drive the car over there with nothing after the cats! When I get it on, I'll write a review and try to figure out how to post a video on youtube.
Old 7/10/11, 11:22 PM
V6 Member

Sounds good!