Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

GT500 axlebacks fitted – awesome! with video

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/11, 10:32 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT500 axlebacks fitted – awesome! with video

Took the 5.0 to Hertford Tyres and Exhaust on Saturday (my car is in the UK) for a service and to have the GT500 axlebacks fitted.

Firstly thanks to Dave for the excellent service and fitting the axlebacks. Great to see a man who obviously cares about his work, his customers and his reputation. I am so glad I took the 5.0 there – highly recommended.

While the 5.0 is a superb car in every respect the exhaust note has always been disappointing for me. My previous 2007 GT was much more aurally satisfying and frankly the stock exhaust on the 5.0 is pants, I guess Ford were looking to expand their market towards a more refined customer – they failed!

If I drive a Mustang I want it to sound like a muscle car.

The GT500 remedies this failing in an awesome manner. It’s loud when you want it to be and quiet without drone when cruising. Why oh why didn’t Ford fit this as stock....
Driving away from Hertford I think the grin did not leave my face until I reached my destination in Norwich. Brilliant. The only down side is I just want to drive it all the time with the windows down – it’s killing my MPG!

Here’s a video of the stock unit, fitting and sound with the GT500’s. Enjoy – I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmE_bqY1S7Y
Old 6/13/11, 03:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mykap
Took the 5.0 to Hertford Tyres and Exhaust on Saturday (my car is in the UK) for a service and to have the GT500 axlebacks fitted.

Firstly thanks to Dave for the excellent service and fitting the axlebacks. Great to see a man who obviously cares about his work, his customers and his reputation. I am so glad I took the 5.0 there – highly recommended.

While the 5.0 is a superb car in every respect the exhaust note has always been disappointing for me. My previous 2007 GT was much more aurally satisfying and frankly the stock exhaust on the 5.0 is pants, I guess Ford were looking to expand their market towards a more refined customer – they failed!

The GT500 remedies this failing in an awesome manner. It’s loud when you want it to be and quiet without drone when cruising. Why oh why didn’t Ford fit this as stock....
Driving away from Hertford I think the grin did not leave my face until I reached my destination in Norwich. Brilliant. The only down side is I just want to drive it all the time with the windows down – it’s killing my MPG!

Here’s a video of the stock unit, fitting and sound with the GT500’s. Enjoy – I am.

Sounds freaking great man!

Uggh! I am currently torn between these and the Roush ones. But some members on here and I are meeting up this thursday so I can hear the Roush ones in person. Wish someone close had the these on locally so i can hear them as well

Did you remove your stock resonators? or did you keep those on when you did the install?
Old 6/13/11, 07:36 AM
V6 Member

Yep, LOVE my GT500's also. One of the best mods out there in my book - any very cost effective at that. I agree, that's the way the car should come from the factory.
Old 6/13/11, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Much better sounding. Well done.

Your garage is SMALL!
Old 6/13/11, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 11GTStang
Yep, LOVE my GT500's also. One of the best mods out there in my book - any very cost effective at that. I agree, that's the way the car should come from the factory.
+1
I love mine.
Old 6/13/11, 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Excellent sound! They will get louder as they break in! In a good way!
Old 6/13/11, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have them too and I like them, but I guess I've gotten bored with them because I want loader ones. Over all I think they are a great deal for someone looking for a more aggressive tone but not too aggressive
Old 6/13/11, 11:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hahnsolo78
I have them too and I like them, but I guess I've gotten bored with them because I want loader ones. Over all I think they are a great deal for someone looking for a more aggressive tone but not too aggressive

+1. This is why I went with Roush. I was going back and forth on the GT500, Roush and Bassani.

The GT500 sound good, but I think they are too quiet for my taste.
Old 6/13/11, 12:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I too love them.
Some days, I want more volume...most days, they're perfect though.
Old 6/13/11, 06:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am very happy with mine. Want more noise, drop the windows and forget about 5th & 6th.....Thinking of removing the resonators...just waiting to have a few extra bucks around.
Old 6/14/11, 04:15 PM
Cobra Member

Nice, I'm going with the GT500's for sure. Do you have the resonators?
Old 6/14/11, 05:38 PM
GT Member

Great video! Sounds alot meaner with the GT500s. I was holding out on swapping out the stock mufflers for GT500 axle backs since there is no power gain, but I think your videos have changed my mind
Old 6/14/11, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Awesome video! Great before and after comparison! Thanks!
Old 6/14/11, 09:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds very good! Sure glad you're happy with them. I sure got freaked out when you were backing out!! Sure you lined it out with that white car, still. I like it!!
Old 6/14/11, 11:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by corruptor
Great video! Sounds alot meaner with the GT500s. I was holding out on swapping out the stock mufflers for GT500 axle backs since there is no power gain, but I think your videos have changed my mind
+1. I believe the GT500's are going on my '11 5.0L after hearing more of them in videos and recently in person.
Old 6/15/11, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I think they sound great. Every time I pass a car or am next to a wall, I know it is loud enough to be heard, but not be obnoxious.
Old 6/15/11, 11:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
+1. I believe the GT500's are going on my '11 5.0L after hearing more of them in videos and recently in person.
You wont be dissappointed. The guys that have the Roush axlebacks are just as passionate about theirs though. And they sound awesome. But my preference is a more subtle sound without the "popping" that you get with the Roush axlebacks. The GT500's are more "gurgly" especially when the RPM's are dropping. Its all your preference. I also have no resonators in my over the axle pipes after the H-Pipe. I definitely reccomend that. Compare my video and sound to the some of the other videos on youtube that just installed the GT500 axlebacks.

With resonators
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD58WGi6mMo

Mine, without the resonators.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XK40qvvm2A
Old 6/16/11, 12:07 AM
V6 Member

After 4 days and about 200' I am loving the GT500 axlebacks, but the video of the black stang without resonators has got me thinking.............
Old 6/16/11, 01:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

After 4 days and about 200' I am loving the GT500 axlebacks, but the video of the black stang without resonators has got me thinking.............
If your talking about my video I posted above that would be Kona Blue Stang big daddy! Crappy camera makes it look black, and the sun was almost dark out!
Old 6/17/11, 10:37 PM
Bullitt Member

BTW, did you just get the exhaust from the dealer? What did it run you? Do you have part numbers by any chance?

Quick Reply: GT500 axlebacks fitted – awesome! with video