Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Going back to stock exhaust or other options?

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/11, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going back to stock exhaust or other options?

I made the big mistake of buying the Heartthrob catback to join to the Hushpowers I put on the car. I had to take it to two shops to get the catback pipes to sorta fit but it still looks like poo. The tips are no longer centered, the pipes don't flow down the center of the car because they just don't fit right and it sounds like the pipes might be rubbing when I go over a dip in the road. To make it worse, the seal was so bad where the pipes meet the header collector, they had to weld the pipes together.

So I've got an exhaust on a brand new, $30k car that sounds alright but looks and fits like a JC Whitney, shade tree job. Pretty frustrated and not sure what to do except put the stock pipes back on the car. Any suggestions on what you'd do?

Jeff
Old 8/7/11, 10:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember you posting a while back to stay away from these. Have you talked to Heartthrob, what did they say? It sounds like the kit is not a direct fit and they should have fixed it or refunded your money. Where did you buy it from? Your probably stuck with it now since that shop welded parts up. How bad did they have to weld it up? Are stock exhaust pieces missing/ruined? If it's a bad fit it might be causing damage to other parts. I would say if you still have your stock set up to throw it back on there for now if you can or at least the mid section since the Hushpowers fit before. If you've junked your old stockers, someone here may have one laying around. I have mufflers if you need them.
Old 8/7/11, 01:45 PM

Thanks. Heartthrob offered to send me a new over axle pipe but I didn't want to chance another + install so decided to cut my losses with them. I bought it from Auto Anything and they were no help and didn't offer any type of refund. I'd like to keep the Hushpowers and fortunately kept the stock piped. Maybe I'll just put those back on. Now that the collectors are welded, I'm pretty much stuck with this bad decision. MAD!
Old 8/7/11, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

you can fix it no problem but will cost some $$$. A Borla catback will cure your worries 100% but a little costly. You wont be happy unless you get the botched job fixed and going back to stock wont make you happy.