The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   5.0L GT Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/)
-   -   FRPP X-Pipe......> (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/frpp-x-pipe-494517/)

psipher 4/25/11 12:16 PM

the picture of the x-pipe on AM doesn't look the same as yours.There's looks a little shorter.Why would you lose some low end with the x-pipe. I also have the Roush axle backs.Like to here from big papi on this since he's running the x-pipe and Roush Mufflers.

Modshack 4/25/11 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life (Post 6059363)
Hmmm... I'm not so sure I'm sold on these.

So you lose low end torque from swapping the H to the X. .

Read my post again. I haven't noticed a loss in Torque.

Modshack 4/25/11 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by psipher (Post 6059390)
the picture of the x-pipe on AM doesn't look the same as yours.There's looks a little shorter.Why

The picture is of the 6 cylinder X pipe, though the part number looks the same as the one I got.

DaSFGiants4Life 4/25/11 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Modshack (Post 6058758)
After a few more miles today, I'm liking this more and more Steve! Very smooth, feels faster, no noticeable low end torque losses...4 thumbs up!..:nice:

Missunderstood, I thought you meant that it was THERE but not noticeable. Glad I was not correct.

Big Papi's Pony 4/25/11 07:43 PM

Stick with the video its 3 mins half way through there is an idle sound clip and towards the end I play with the accelerator a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDQnMUcqm1Q

psipher 4/25/11 11:00 PM

thanks to Big Papi for the reply going to get the x-pipe this week. Also some zaino!!!

DaSFGiants4Life 4/25/11 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
Stick with the video its 3 mins half way through there is an idle sound clip and towards the end I play with the accelerator a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDQnMUcqm1Q

Hmmmm... I still don't really hear that much of a difference with the x-pipe.
Is there still rasp at 5000 RPMS? Have you noticed less rasp with the x-pipe in?

Big Papi's Pony 4/26/11 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life

Hmmmm... I still don't really hear that much of a difference with the x-pipe.
Is there still rasp at 5000 RPMS? Have you noticed less rasp with the x-pipe in?

I think there's less or no rasp at all when you open it up. It's really hard to tell by video but I honestly think there's a difference when the car is idling also........ not a huge difference. I also think the car feels smoother when you mash the accelerator to the floor. I would really like to do some drive by videos of WOT but I can't find anyone who wants to stand on the side of the road and hold a camera to watch me drive by a few times. It sucks to have Mustang ADD! LOL!

Sent from my iPad using TMS Forum

m4a1mustang 4/26/11 05:54 AM

Well, I placed my order through AM last night, so I suspect I'll have it tomorrow (PA to VA 1-day shipping FTW!). Will probably install it on Thursday, though I'm a little apprehensive considering the trouble Steve had with two people and a lift. It'll just be me and the front wheels up on ramps!

chris5.0 4/27/11 09:24 PM

Not including offroad and high flow xpipes. Are all xpipes created equally? Is there any difference between the $200 FRPP and the $400 Magnaflow xpipe?

DaSFGiants4Life 4/28/11 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Well, I placed my order through AM last night, so I suspect I'll have it tomorrow (PA to VA 1-day shipping FTW!). Will probably install it on Thursday, though I'm a little apprehensive considering the trouble Steve had with two people and a lift. It'll just be me and the front wheels up on ramps!

Do keep us posted how the install goes an how you like em :nice:

m4a1mustang 4/28/11 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by chris5.0 (Post 6061493)
Not including offroad and high flow xpipes. Are all xpipes created equally? Is there any difference between the $200 FRPP and the $400 Magnaflow xpipe?

Chris, I'd say that most all of the after-cat X-pipes are going to be the same assuming they all use the same pipe diameters. Sometimes the X design is slightly different which could potentially have an impact on performance, but most likely it's probably a sound thing.

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life (Post 6061605)
Do keep us posted how the install goes an how you like em :nice:

Will do. :nice:

m4a1mustang 4/28/11 04:01 PM

So how the heck do you access the clamp bolts where the H pipe connects to the cats?

Modshack 4/28/11 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang (Post 6062059)
So how the heck do you access the clamp bolts where the H pipe connects to the cats?

Ha ha! I didn't say it was easy! I ultimately used a short 1/2 inch box wrench to get things started..Move it 1 inch, flip, repeat. It's doable, just not easy. This step took a bit of time..

m4a1mustang 4/28/11 04:54 PM

Thanks Steve, ill try that.

DaSFGiants4Life 4/28/11 05:27 PM

:popcorn:

wonger 4/28/11 06:12 PM

Ratcheting wrench... Godsend.

m4a1mustang 4/28/11 07:33 PM

I used a ratcheting wrench but now I feel like a total nub. Fitment on this is not great and I've got leaks at both x to cat connections. gonna redo those and see if I can get them to fit properly... not looking good, though. Prob wont drive the car tomorrow.

m4a1mustang 4/28/11 08:35 PM

Well I am all cut up to hell and wasted several hours. Can't get the cat flanges to line up correctly by myself.. I am going to have to try again tomorrow.

Steve, when you were installing yours, did you leave the over-the-axle pipe flanges loose and tighten the cat flanges while your helper held the X pipe in position? I'm thinking this is what I am going to have to do tomorrow when I've got some help. I'm also going to orient the flanges the same way you did.

Very frustrating to say the least. Installing an X pipe on my '03 GT and cat-back on my 370Z was a piece of cake... I can't believe how bad this was. I only put the car up on ramps too... probably should have put it up higher on jack stands. Sigh.

I'm going to go take a shower and clean my wounds now.:banghead:

DaSFGiants4Life 4/28/11 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Well I am all cut up to hell and wasted several hours. Can't get the cat flanges to line up correctly by myself.. I am going to have to try again tomorrow.

Steve, when you were installing yours, did you leave the over-the-axle pipe flanges loose and tighten the cat flanges while your helper held the X pipe in position? I'm thinking this is what I am going to have to do tomorrow when I've got some help. I'm also going to orient the flanges the same way you did.

Very frustrating to say the least. Installing an X pipe on my '03 GT and cat-back on my 370Z was a piece of cake... I can't believe how bad this was. I only put the car up on ramps too... probably should have put it up higher on jack stands. Sigh.

I'm going to go take a shower and clean my wounds now.:banghead:

Sounds brutal man. Hoping the sound will be worth the sweat and blood.