Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

- FRPP Pro-Cal Owners...in here!

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/12, 06:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed my Pro-cal last night.....pretty decent tune! Not gonna go into how it feels, u should know that if you own one...

I ordered it from BuyFordRacing.com for $298, got an email from Ford racing with registration info w/in an hour! Once I filled it out I had my Tuner the NEXt DAY!

Anyhow, prior to installing it I watched my Aeroforce for a few days...after install I noticed the following: Knock values went up 50pts across the board @ Idle & 60mph.....ignition advance went down slightly about 1.2 (knock selection set at "N" on the pro-cal w/ 93 octane and had zero audible ping)

I have the lower profile GT500 stock tires and was shocked to see that ford racing had the revs per mile @ 777, which is Exactly what I needed. Shocking since the tuner is supposed to be setup for Stock GT's.

QUESTION: for those with the pro-cal...did you send it back into Ford Racing after install for the $75 exchange?!

QUESTION: where did you place your Authentication sticker!? I have mine on the DS door jam and it fits/functions perfectly in that spot!

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 10/25/12 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10/25/12, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Sounds good dude. Is this just the tuner + filter?

Guess you didn't necessarily feel the need to have it done by an 'authorized dealer' ??
Old 10/25/12, 12:35 PM

FRPP Pro-Cal Tuner

I also bought the tune and calibration tool from those guys, they do have the best price I found anywhere. Good decision.

I agree that the tune is mild, but worth it: I can feel it when I shift and it got rid of the skip shift, which was well worth it. I didn't realize how often the skip shift was actually happening...... until I got rid of it!

To answer your questions; no, I didn't send the tuner back for the $75 refund. I felt that in case, for some reason, I need to go back to stock, I have a way to do it. Probably not going to come up, but who knows.

I put my calibraion sticker under the hood, near the emission ones, but I think your location is a much better place. Should have thought of that !

Can you explain what you were talking about with the lower stock tires and the rev's per mile. None of that came up when I did the install: it goes by the VIN and if you made mods to the axle ratio, and tire diameter. I guess that's what you mean-you have different diameter tires on your car? What other perfromance mods have you done that might have affected the tune?

Lastly, I couldn't find a local Ford dealer to install the tune (older thread several months ago), so I had it done at a local speed shop, and I suppose the warranty that they say is now with Ford Racing isn't valid? However, I'm not stressing too much, I think when one reads the FRPP catalog where they describe the tune, it seems to be well thought out and not going to damage the engine. I just cannot imagine that they would create a tune that was "edgy" in any way. Not a large organization like Ford Racing. Hope I'm right with that conclusion!
Old 10/25/12, 02:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What effect does it have on warranties?
Old 10/25/12, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
What effect does it have on warranties?
My local service manager said he will NOT void my warranty on a Ford Racing part! PLUS, there has not been a warranty claim or any issues with the pro-cal warranty wise since 2007....so Im not worried. Especially since I did not experience ANY ping at all on the "N" knock setting.

I will say that today I noticed my exhaust is a bit quieter which Im not a fan of.....guess I will look into getting the FRPP "Sport" mufflers now! $$$$

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 10/25/12 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10/25/12, 05:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For those of us who want to know how the tune feels overall can you fill us in please?
Old 10/25/12, 05:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

The car feels ...smoother, shifting is like hot knife through butter vs how stock felt a little tiny bit notchy to me.

I heard the tire chirp once today when I was getting on it...was not able to do that without revving up high and letting off the clutch before. Seems that the mid range is where all the improvement is....Throttle response might feel a little better but I had no prob with it before really. RPMs drop faster between shifts.

Overall I recommend it (for the price) if you do not plan on adding a BOSS IM, headers or removing your cats. I have a ROUSH CAI and have no problems...didn't use the K&N Filter.

During my research a custom tune from one of the more popular tuners was $600...so this is literally half the cost and maybe 10hp difference!?

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 10/25/12 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10/25/12, 06:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ponywars
For those of us who want to know how the tune feels overall can you fill us in please?
I just took this tune OFF of my car. I drove on it for 27000 miles, and over a year.

I miss it. The car was so much quicker low in the band, the throttle response was better, there was no Skip-Shift Nanny, and the RPMS didn't hold when I let off the gas -- the car actually decelerated as a consequence (go figure!).

The reason I took the tune off is that I was having detonation like no other all of the time, and nothing would fix it short of adding a bottle of Octane Booster to each full tank. I live in Phoenix where 91 is the highest octane gas available.

I am concerned that, since I was driving on it like that for 20000+ miles, there is premature engine wear. I don't know if I should call FRPP or Ford about it...
Old 10/25/12, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I would only recommend this tune for those who can and will get 93 octane all the time! For the reasons you see above, even though FR says its not an issue.
Old 10/26/12, 03:14 PM
V6 Member

Sent Pro cal back to Ford. Sent GT to Roush to get supercharged. Much happier now.
Old 10/26/12, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool, would like to hear bout that some if you please!!!
Old 10/27/12, 10:42 AM
V6 Member

I posted the overhaul and pictures under Ghostrider7953 starting on March 24th.
Old 10/27/12, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Feels like tons of torque, better throttle response, major mileage improvement. A total win, from my perspective. Needs REAL 91+ octane fuel, for sure.
Old 10/27/12, 04:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sold!! Can this be used with Stock CAI?
Old 10/27/12, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I'm sold!! Can this be used with Stock CAI?
The pro cal can only be used with the stock cai, or a cai that requires no tune.
Old 10/27/12, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
The pro cal can only be used with the stock cai, or a cai that requires no tune.
Like my ROUSH intake or the Airaid with MIT IN!!
Although dynos have shown that with the Airaid one you do lose a tad bit down low.
Old 10/28/12, 06:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All the owners I know with the FRPP Pro-cal tune all have an after-market intake. At this time I am not interested in an after-market intake which is why I asked the question.
Old 10/28/12, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
All the owners I know with the FRPP Pro-cal tune all have an after-market intake. At this time I am not interested in an after-market intake which is why I asked the question.
They must have no tune required intakes. The pro cal cant be adjusted for a tune required cai, so just keep that in mind down the road.
Old 5/29/13, 10:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i am planning to get Ford pro -cal tune. how do i return to stock tune if i want to get 87 octane fuel. i do road trip quite often and cannt garauntee 93 all the way. any help is appreciated
Old 5/30/13, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It's pretty much plug it in and scroll through the menus, it's pretty intuitive. Make sure you're on a fully charged battery or on a battery charger and that all electrical accessories are turned off.

So far, I'm blowing thorough 114 mph in the quarter on this tune, on a fully loaded GT with everything but glass roof so, it does work. It like good 91+ fuel certainly but, doesn't speed up or slow down on 93.

Quick Reply: - FRPP Pro-Cal Owners...in here!