5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Ford Racing Pro-Cal Device

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/12, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Racing Pro-Cal Device

Hope this is the correct forum for this question:

I bought the FRPP tune for my 5.0 a few months ago and it installed without problems; I'm enjoying the changes, although not major in total.

With this "tune" comes a FRPP "Pro-Cal" device that is used to install the tune into the car. I understand that this tool can also read engine codes and be used for other tasks, but when I tried to read the check engine light in my son's Honda Accord, it was unable to do so. Gave read error message, something like "unable to read code".

So to the knowledgable out there: is this FRPP Pro-Cal "tuner" good for anything else expect putting a FRPP tune into your Mustang ? Can it be used to read codes on only Mustangs, only Fords, or any car with the correct socket ?

By the way, in the box it came in there is a slip of paper asking if you would be willing to sell it back to FRPP for $75.00 when you are done with it. Doesn't make sense to me as if you ever need to return the car to stock, you'd be unable to. Plus, the tune on the provided memory stick is specific to your car. However, if this thing can only be used to upload tunes to your car, maybe it isn't that worthwhile to keep in a box until you sell the car.
Old 9/4/12, 12:41 PM
V6 Member

I'm sure it's ford specific and probably usable on ur stang only.
Old 9/6/12, 02:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012 White 5.0
Hope this is the correct forum for this question:

I bought the FRPP tune for my 5.0 a few months ago and it installed without problems; I'm enjoying the changes, although not major in total.

With this "tune" comes a FRPP "Pro-Cal" device that is used to install the tune into the car. I understand that this tool can also read engine codes and be used for other tasks, but when I tried to read the check engine light in my son's Honda Accord, it was unable to do so. Gave read error message, something like "unable to read code".

So to the knowledgable out there: is this FRPP Pro-Cal "tuner" good for anything else expect putting a FRPP tune into your Mustang ? Can it be used to read codes on only Mustangs, only Fords, or any car with the correct socket ?

By the way, in the box it came in there is a slip of paper asking if you would be willing to sell it back to FRPP for $75.00 when you are done with it. Doesn't make sense to me as if you ever need to return the car to stock, you'd be unable to. Plus, the tune on the provided memory stick is specific to your car. However, if this thing can only be used to upload tunes to your car, maybe it isn't that worthwhile to keep in a box until you sell the car.
Even though your Honda has a OBD2 connector the protocol for the systems are different. they speak different languages so to speak. if you looking for a cheap solution to your problem go to scantool.net they have some inexpensive all purpose software packages and pick up a cheap ELM27 cable.

i have the same procal unit, and i cant think of a reason to return it unless i took the tune off the car, and that would mean i lost out on the whole deal... not going to happen
Old 9/6/12, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Did you have a dealer do the install for warranty ?
Old 9/6/12, 03:03 PM

As to whether I had a Ford Dealer to do the install, well...... I wanted to find one here in San Diego, but the 3 that I went to wouldn't do it. First one said they are not a FRPP dealer and suggested another one. Went to that one and they gave me a bit of a run around, first saying they would do it for a labor charge, then after I bought the device, telling me they can't do it.

The last dealer's service writer was so confused about what I had and why I was there, I just got tired of explaining why I wanted them to do it ( preserve the FRPP warranty ) and just had it done at a local speed shop. It's really easy, but I wanted to have someone who had done it before make sure it was all functional and working.

My experience at the 3 dealers wasn't too great: none of them could understand that their install of the tune would not obligate that dealership ( or even FoMoCo ) to repair of the engine. I believe that if anything goes wrong, FRPP's warrany would cover it. I showed them the paperwork that came with the tuner, etc. They just shook their heads or were confused.

I've got to be honest and say I really did not want to lose the warranty ( which I think I did by not having an authorized Ford, Shelby or Roush dealer do it ), but I also wanted to get the tune INTO THE CAR !!!! What was I supposed to do, keep driving around looking for a Ford dealer who understood the process ? There's also no point in calling to ask before you visit the dealer: you have to have your car there for them to really know what you're asking about.

Yeah, again, not too happy about the warranty thing, but I will say the car does run better !
Old 9/6/12, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks same here, called 3 dealers and they all said no. If I do the I stall I will have everything to o the tune ? I thought I read some ware that after you get the tuner you have to register it to get some tool ?
Old 9/6/12, 05:31 PM
V6 Member

Ford racing has a list of ford dealers to use for their products. We have 3 here in Houston.
Old 9/7/12, 12:32 PM
GT Member

I say just get a Diablosport inTune and be done with it. It won't leave a trace in the computer so Ford won't ever know its been tuned.
Old 9/7/12, 04:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephCook78
I say just get a Diablosport inTune and be done with it. It won't leave a trace in the computer so Ford won't ever know its been tuned.
Has this been 100% confirmed yet?
Old 9/8/12, 02:42 AM

It leaves the same traces as an SCT, confirmed by multiple vendors on another forum. They both reset the key cycles so if you have 20,000 miles on your car and only 75 key cycles they will know it's been messed with.

Last edited by cdog1157; 9/8/12 at 02:43 AM.