Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

First upgrades/ must haves

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/13, 08:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First upgrades/ must haves

I'm picking up my 13 SG mustang gt premium w/ brembos this Saturday and wanted to hear from other owners what they think are good mods to start off with.
I'm not looking to void the warranty but I do want to personalize it a bit both interior, exterior, and engine mods.
Old 1/20/13, 09:08 PM
V6 Member

As far as exterior 'mods', I would say swap out the stock mufflers for some nice aftermarket axle back exhausts. I have Roush, but the GT500s are great as well.

For the interior, aftermarket floor mats as the stock mats offer minimal coverage, and in some cases the rear mats are not included. If window tinting is your style, I'd say go with a tint that is legal.
Old 1/20/13, 09:20 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pegasus5.0
I'm picking up my 13 SG mustang gt premium w/ brembos this Saturday and wanted to hear from other owners what they think are good mods to start off with.
I'm not looking to void the warranty but I do want to personalize it a bit both interior, exterior, and engine mods.
Depends on what you want from the car and what kind of budget you have to work with to mod the car. Personally I think suspension, tires and shifter are the weakest link.
Old 1/20/13, 09:29 PM
V6 Member

This is will be my daily driver, but I want my mods to make the mustang an overall balanced performer.
Old 1/20/13, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

MGW shifter if you like to bang thru gears. And I love my Dynomax Race Bullets
Old 1/20/13, 10:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out Energy Suspensions urethane shifter bushing, best cheap mod you can do to the stock shifter short of replacing it with an MGW. The GT500 mufflers are also great for a daily driver.
Old 1/21/13, 08:26 AM
GT Member

The quick and relatively cheap ones are Redline Tuning Hood Lifts to get rid of the stupid hood prop and an oil separator for the passenger side (I went with JLT) to keep the oil blowback out of the crankcase.

Next up is to do something about the squishy shifter by replacing either the shifter bushing, shifter bracket (I went with the Steeda bracket), or the complete shifter (I'm planning to go MGW).

A little more advanced mods would be suspension mods which is a very complex discussion (and suspect as to whether warranty is affected) and mufflers (personal preference applicable here).
Old 1/21/13, 09:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JMac
The quick and relatively cheap ones are Redline Tuning Hood Lifts to get rid of the stupid hood prop and an oil separator for the passenger side (I went with JLT) to keep the oil blowback out of the crankcase.

Next up is to do something about the squishy shifter by replacing either the shifter bushing, shifter bracket (I went with the Steeda bracket), or the complete shifter (I'm planning to go MGW).

A little more advanced mods would be suspension mods which is a very complex discussion (and suspect as to whether warranty is affected) and mufflers (personal preference applicable here).
I see they make the oil separators for the driver side too, guess only the passenger side is necessary?
Old 1/21/13, 09:33 AM
Banned

I hear a repaint to Grabber Blue or Gotta Have it Green is a first mod that's worthy :-) They are the two fastest colors.
Old 1/21/13, 10:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by steven46746
I see they make the oil separators for the driver side too, guess only the passenger side is necessary?
Apparently 80% or 90% of the oil sucked through the PCV is on the passenger side.
Old 1/21/13, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Ford Racing has a CAI/Tune that retains factory warranty.
Old 1/21/13, 12:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302

Apparently 80% or 90% of the oil sucked through the PCV is on the passenger side.
Thanks, guess I'll be picking one up then, 120 seems to be the going price.
Old 1/21/13, 12:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by t-fatty
Ford Racing has a CAI/Tune that retains factory warranty.
Just the 3/36 bumper to bumper is taken up by ford racing. Ford considers ford racing an after market company. Your power train warranty is toast. I was going to to buy that tuner. After calls to ford racing and ford warranty customer care, I was very disappointed.
Old 1/21/13, 12:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V

Just the 3/36 bumper to bumper is taken up by ford racing. Ford considers ford racing an after market company. Your power train warranty is toast. I was going to to buy that tuner. After calls to ford racing and ford warranty customer care, I was very disappointed.
Talking about the drop in filter and procal?
Old 1/21/13, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Sorry, i didn't mean to mislead anyone. That's nice Ford doesn't stand behind it's own tune motor/drivetrain wise.
Old 1/21/13, 12:53 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by steven46746

Thanks, guess I'll be picking one up then, 120 seems to be the going price.
I would recommend you check out Bob's Auto Sports oil separator. Everybody on the GT500 forums have switched from JLT or others to Bob's.

The amount it collects far exceeds others. He has two versions.

You can order directly from Bob's or Revan Racing.
Old 1/21/13, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MJJ

I would recommend you check out Bob's Auto Sports oil separator. Everybody on the GT500 forums have switched from JLT or others to Bob's.

The amount it collects far exceeds others. He has two versions.

You can order directly from Bob's or Revan Racing.
Anyone object or concur to this statement? Gonna order tonight!!
Old 1/21/13, 02:01 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get yourself a shift **** from Speeddawg
Old 1/21/13, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JMac

The crankcase is where the oil comes from.
Old 1/21/13, 03:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SlowRiderr
The crankcase is where the oil comes from.
My bad, its been a long day right from the start.

Quick Reply: First upgrades/ must haves