5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Exhaust vibration, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/12, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust vibration, need advice.

I just installed a pypes super system on my 2013 Mustang GT, and I'm having a rubbing/vibration issue around the back axle with what my friend calls "part of the pan hard bar". Not sure if that's the proper termonology but the old (stock) exhaust system seems to be molded with this piece in mind and my pypes isn't.

I'm thinking of some sort of heat resistant wrap to wrap around either that particular bar where the exhaust is rubbing or around the exhaust itself. Is that a good idea?

I'm gonna call some local muffler shops and see what advice they can give me, but I thought I'd also ask some of the gearheads on this website.

Also, there's a good bit more drone than I thought around 2k. Do you think that after a hundred miles or so and the exhaust gets broken in this might subside a little? I can't imagine it going away totally, but if it would be reduced a bit I'd be ok with this particular system.

Thanks
Old 6/9/12, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can't get a better fit on the pipes so they don't hit, Wrap the pan hard bar with a piece heater hose where the exhaust pipe hits it.
Are you sure you can't make the pipes fit better with some adjustments to the pipes and hangers.
Old 6/11/12, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

It shouldnt rub on anything. And Pypes do drone and doubt it will get better
Old 6/15/12, 01:25 AM
Bullitt Member

+1 on the drone.. its something that you will have get used to ...

If there is a fitment problem, either get the car up and look for signs of rubbing on other metal parts and the floor pan area -- it may (as others have said) need to be loosened up and realigned to provide clearance. if this is ineffective take it to the muffler shop and the may have to make some custom tweaks to clear the affected area(s)..

It's better to do it sooner than later... gets real annoying
Old 6/15/12, 11:05 AM

Is it just an axle back system? Or did you replace the midpipe as well. When I changed my midpipe I didn't tighten my o2 sensors as well as I should have. The drivers side o2 came loose and was making a metallic rattling noise but just at a certain rpm range. Idk just something to check.
Old 6/15/12, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Clutchmaster9000
Is it just an axle back system? Or did you replace the midpipe as well. When I changed my midpipe I didn't tighten my o2 sensors as well as I should have. The drivers side o2 came loose and was making a metallic rattling noise but just at a certain rpm range. Idk just something to check.
It was a cat back system.

I took it to a local muffler shop and they cut the hangers off and welded on some shorter ones to raise the system enough to give it a full half inch of clearance. They also did a perfect job of centering the tips in the hole cutouts in the bumper. It looks very nice and no more rattle!

As far as the drone goes, it already seems to be quiter - or rather its the same but I've gotten use to it. Outside of the slight issue I had with it fitting correctly, I'm really loving it.

Thanks for the replies.