5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Evo Perform says I dont need an update for the boss intake

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/13, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Perform says I dont need an update for the boss intake

Don't really need to explain much here. Just read my emails, should be in order and read them bottom to top.
I said I needed to update my tune on the 23rd of last month. I still don't have my update and they said supposedly my tune is already ready for the boss intake to just be slapped on with no update... I am so frustrated with this company and I've have nothing good to say about them period. I will never recommend them to anyone. Feel free to share any of this on any forums or anywhere else I'd like other people to know how ****ty they have been.
Although my current tune is good so I recommend Lund for sure but not through Evolution Performance. I put down 406rwhp 393rwtq with tune, JLT CAI,off-road h-pipe, and stock 3.73 gears. I don't know a lot about dynos but I know it wasn't a mustang dyno it was at a shop that tunes LS cars.
Attached Images    
Old 6/21/13, 09:19 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly... he may be telling the truth..... the main reason a stock version of the gt needs a tune with this upgrade is due to the air fuel ratio. The pcm is programmed to only be able to adjust a/f a certain percentage off the base line a/f ratio. (Stock is 15% if I recall correctly) most tuners turn that number up to 35-50 percent. Allowing the pcm to auto adjust a/f ratio with more modifications. My .02 cents.

I would find out why he said it done need to be retuned before I get all pissy.
Old 6/21/13, 09:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Reasonable point on tuning. I used to do my own tuning and there are a lot of parameters that have an allowable range and tuners can adjust that range. I don't have any experience with these guys so I can say anything about them specifically and I have not started doing any tuning with my car so I only am speaking from Audi experience. Hope you get the issue sorted out
Old 6/21/13, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Honestly... he may be telling the truth..... the main reason a stock version of the gt needs a tune with this upgrade is due to the air fuel ratio. The pcm is programmed to only be able to adjust a/f a certain percentage off the base line a/f ratio. (Stock is 15% if I recall correctly) most tuners turn that number up to 35-50 percent. Allowing the pcm to auto adjust a/f ratio with more modifications. My .02 cents.

I would find out why he said it done need to be retuned before I get all pissy.

Everyone requires the tune to be updated with the boss intake. And it's not about this specific thing that I'm pissy about its my whole experience. They have the worst customer service I have ever dealt with.
Old 6/21/13, 09:48 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by vertblkmustang92

Everyone requires the tune to be updated with the boss intake. And it's not about this specific thing that I'm pissy about its my whole experience. They have the worst customer service I have ever dealt with.
But why do you need it "updated"?? Do you know why? Or is it "everyone says you need an update!".

As for their customer service. I dont know them so....
Old 6/21/13, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Taking most of a month to tell him that his tune is "Good to go" is sucky customer service.
Old 6/21/13, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by texastboneking
But why do you need it "updated"?? Do you know why? Or is it "everyone says you need an update!".

As for their customer service. I dont know them so....
I'm not 100% sure. I know the fuel rails are shorter I believe it is and how would you not need an update for a intake manifold? Any car any engine you would need a tune for that, would you not?
Old 6/21/13, 10:47 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by vertblkmustang92
I'm not 100% sure. I know the fuel rails are shorter I believe it is and how would you not need an update for a intake manifold? Any car any engine you would need a tune for that, would you not?
nope..... think a little here... the intake isnt a sensor. it simply transfers air to the cylinders from the throttle body. the pcm doesnt know if its changed or not. all it knows is the a/f ratio needs to be a certain mix. now with this intake breathing better than the stock gt intake, there is more air than the pcm expects so it will compensate by changing the amount of fuel (hence o2 sensors, maf sensor, or map sensor). the stock tune only allows the pcm to adjust 15% off of the planned a/f ratio. (if you can monitor the pids of your car watch the long term fuel trim. these are the adjusted percentages at a given rpm). with a tune, tuners can change that 15% to a higher percentage to allow the pcm to correct the a/f ratio further past baseline tune.

now when ppl get a tune for this intake. they change the baseline a/f ratio to resemble that of the roadrunner engine. but a stock gt tune with a higher a/f correction percentage will do the same just on its own.

like i said. you need to see why he says its ok on the current tune. depends on how he tuned it.

Last edited by texastboneking; 6/21/13 at 10:48 AM.
Old 6/21/13, 11:13 AM
GT Member

You don't need an update. They are correct as Lund tunes the cars to be ready for the intake. That being said, I've dealt with evo in the past and never would again. I agree they have the worst service out there.
Old 6/22/13, 05:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by black5.0
You don't need an update. They are correct as Lund tunes the cars to be ready for the intake.
This is 100% correct. Lund sets it up like this in the initial tune.