5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

e-mailed tunes making me nervous

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/14, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-mailed tunes making me nervous

I know , another dang tune thread. But just wanted to say that some of these e-mail tunes are beginning to make me nervous.

Not going to state which ones , but one tune caused surging. Data log looked fine though.

Tried out another tune from a different company and it wasn't tuned for offroad and the revision was sent out for a 93 oct instead of 91 (which was requested). I think it may be time to get a dyno tune and stay away from the e-mailed tunes.

Last edited by woodzusa; 2/25/14 at 09:34 AM.
Old 2/25/14, 09:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by woodzusa
I know , another dang tune thread. But just wanted to say that some of these e-mail tunes are beginning to make me nervous.

Not going to state which ones , but one tune caused surging. Data log looked fine though.

Tried out another tune from a different company and it wasn't tuned for offroad and the revision was sent out for a 93 oct instead of 91 (which was requested). I think it may be time to get a dyno tune and stay away from the e-mailed tunes.
If email tunes make you feel nervous , then don't use them. Go get a dyno tune as you said if to feel more comfortable. Its your ride bro. I personally have been running email tunes for three years I have three different tuning companies and absolutely love them. I have a slight surge issue every now and then which is not the fault of the tune but the cause from my long tube headers. Too combat that surge issue I had my idle turned up and now my slight surge happens very rarely. Its almost non existent.

I love my email tunes , however go for a dyno tune. Its your money bro. What ever you want. Your the boss.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/25/14 at 09:57 AM.
Old 2/25/14, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

I hear ya. It seems hit or miss sometimes. The first tune I was running, I wouldn't have a concern running it for fear of engine damage. But the other seems to be missing just the basic mods request that I sent them, twice.
Makes me a little less confident in running that tune all of the time. We'll see if it is better after the revision but I will definitely be logging it to make sure.
Old 2/25/14, 01:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I hear ya. It seems hit or miss sometimes. The first tune I was running, I wouldn't have a concern running it for fear of engine damage. But the other seems to be missing just the basic mods request that I sent them, twice.
Makes me a little less confident in running that tune all of the time. We'll see if it is better after the revision but I will definitely be logging it to make sure.
Perhaps , you need to try a different company that does email tunes.
Old 2/25/14, 10:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it wasn't an AED, JPC, VMP, or Lund tune, that's your issue.

Don't bother with any others.

Last edited by Supra; 2/25/14 at 10:09 PM.
Old 2/25/14, 10:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Supra

That's one way of looking at it.
Old 2/28/14, 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

It wasn't.
Asked for a refund since I still don't have the correct tune that was requested . Waiting on the response...
But, I may give one of those above mentioned a try.
Old 2/28/14, 04:52 PM
Cobra Member

It wasn't.
Asked for a refund since I still don't have the correct tune that was requested . Waiting on the response...
But, I may give one of those above mentioned a try.
Which company is it?
Old 3/2/14, 09:50 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Originally Posted by Supra
Bingo Rob. Bingo!
Old 3/2/14, 11:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got my BAMA tune as a 93 Hybrid from AM. It made a huge difference in the feel of the car. I have yet to dyno the car, but the torque on the low end is especially nice.
Old 3/2/14, 06:58 PM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Put 200K miles on my '05 V6, about 160K of it with a Brenspeed tune.

Currently running a Steeda tune on my 5.0 with no issues.

Guess there are fans for almost all the name Tuners....
Old 3/3/14, 09:15 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
Guess there are fans for almost all the name Tuners....
i got lost reading all the tune threads in here.... i consider tune as a make up kit... no one can make a universal kit which would make anyone look like a star... u need to keep trying different products till u like one or go to beauty saloon pay the premium n get it done the way best suits u.
Old 3/3/14, 09:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter

i got lost reading all the tune threads in here.... i consider tune as a make up kit... no one can make a universal kit which would make anyone look like a star... u need to keep trying different products till u like one or go to beauty saloon pay the premium n get it done the way best suits u.
So true! You will get so many different answers on this topic. I run bama, Steeda and MPT tunes and love all three. There are people on here who hate bama and had nothing but issues. I think bama is great and enjoy their tunes.
Old 3/4/14, 12:05 PM
Former Vendor

There's a lot of reputable tuners out there for Mustangs. I don't think any of them produce tunes that could potentially harm our Mustang. Half the reason most tuners are reputable is because any issues that you may experience with their tune is usually regarding your specific Mustang's characteristics, which can be dialed in. If you know what you're doing, it's not to hard to ensure ones tunes are safe!

Wish you the best with your search!

Shane
Old 3/4/14, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
I don't think any of them produce tunes that could potentially harm our Mustang.
I wish I could agree with you.

I have analyzed a ton of dealer tunes and have found things like the following (this is only a few)

1. Changing the Knock Sensor Retard Rate from a .5* to 1*
2. Adding 5* degrees to the Global Timing adder... (changing this value at all is not smart, its a unregulated value)
3. Raising the Base Table for Piston Protection table to all max values (63's for the entire 3d array)
4. Raising the Max Spark Advance all to table max values (again all 63's)

These are the issues that I have seen cause pistons to fail (and like they have in the past, specifically the #8).

Typically no 2 dealers have the exact same tune. Each has their on interpritation of changes to tables.

However, personally I would have no problem running saying a BamaTune is good, but a Breenspeed... ehhhh I dunno.

TIP OF THE DAY: Real tuners dont start from SCT base files.

Just my 2 cents
Old 3/4/14, 12:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

i had surges until i got my idle turned up a little too. its set at 800 right now and i have absolutely no surges anymore. im probably gonna go back down to 700 cause it sounds like its idling in closed loop all the time now because of the high idle even tho its going into closed. im actually happy with my bama tune now. my previous tune not so much but they got it pretty much perfect this time. feels and sounds like a really powerful tune.
Old 3/4/14, 12:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by southcarolina12
it sounds like its idling in closed loop all the time now because of the high idle even tho its going into closed.
Whats wrong with being in closed loop at idle? Thats what you want....

You can verify the Fuel Mode by datalogging the Fuel Status Flag using your SCT tuner/computer.

Are you familiar what it means to be in closed vs open loop Fuel statuses?

-Matt
Old 3/4/14, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
Whats wrong with being in closed loop at idle? Thats what you want....

You can verify the Fuel Mode by datalogging the Fuel Status Flag using your SCT tuner/computer.

Are you familiar what it means to be in closed vs open loop Fuel statuses?

-Matt
i was thinking open but said closed. my bad.
Old 3/4/14, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm running a Steeda 93 tune and the car runs flawless. Idles smooth, power delivery is smooth, no issues at all.
Old 3/7/14, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres a reason why we use VMP for tunes, Justin is strict when writing his tunes, you typically won't see a turnaround of 12 hours with a tune from him and if you do from another dealer I would be skeptical. Get a tune from a company that bases the foundation of their business off of tuning.
VMP, Lund, AED, MPT are all great tuners, they've broken records, have many cars running great numbers and times safely. You'll hear about more blown engines from these companies but its typically from someone knowing what to expect or running 700HP revving to 8k RPM's.
All of these companies also have known tuners associated with their company, I won't talk bad about other companies that produce tunes but you know nothing about what their tuning experience is or their background you should ask, and you should get a straight answer.... with names.
Also the token verbiage of "race", "street", "economy" tunes is kind of a misnomer. A race tune is simply keeping the cams out of gas mileage mode all the time so it feels crisper.
I always recommend to my customers to read as much as you can about tuning, I think its beneficial for customers to be educated in the matter. If something small goes wrong the end user has some sort of knowledge base to work off of and, in the end, ask the right questions.
Tunes are based off efficiency, the more efficient your motor runs the more HP it should make while, at the same time, saving you MPG's.

I went off on a little side note but the days of blowing an N/A engine are few and very far between, now it just comes to drivability. I would also like to state that if a company cannot tune an F/I car, I really wouldn't trust them to tune an N/A car. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Jay@Hypermotive; 3/7/14 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: e-mailed tunes making me nervous