Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Driveshaft reviews

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/13, 01:03 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driveshaft reviews

I'm in the market for new driveshaft. I have a 2011 mustang gt making 600whp and 505ftlbs. It's a m6. I'm looking at American muscle and shaftmaster right now. Then I also have a shop that did my tuning that has a place custom make them. So I'm trying to get some advice on the route to go.
Old 3/14/13, 09:04 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JEdwards001
I'm in the market for new driveshaft. I have a 2011 mustang gt making 600whp and 505ftlbs. It's a m6. I'm looking at American muscle and shaftmaster right now. Then I also have a shop that did my tuning that has a place custom make them. So I'm trying to get some advice on the route to go.
It sounds like you have 2 really good options. I can't speak for the custom driveshaft, but I can definitely give you some information on ours! First, we've had this driveshaft on a few of our project cars, our 2011 GT running low 10's with a big nitrous hit and the other running a Hellion single turbo kit. This should give you some state of mind that they're very strong and well built, while still shedding 20 pounds from your rotating mass!

When selecting a driveshaft for your Mustang GT, you want one that has been made to the highest standards for peace of mind. This aluminum driveshaft has been balanced using Schenck military grade equipment to guarantee vibration-free performance. Unlike other designs which use an adapter - causing vibration and even failure - this driveshaft features a completely new pinion flange for superior durability and performance. It features 1330 series U-joints and is a solid, 1 piece design made with 4" Alcoa certified 6061 aluminum tubing.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance.

-Dan
Old 3/14/13, 09:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 783 Likes on 572 Posts
I have a shaftmaster shaft and while I am not running 600hp I am completely happy with it. Price, fit and finish all 10's
Old 3/14/13, 04:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

It sounds like you have 2 really good options. I can't speak for the custom driveshaft, but I can definitely give you some information on ours! First, we've had this driveshaft on a few of our project cars, our 2011 GT running low 10's with a big nitrous hit and the other running a Hellion single turbo kit. This should give you some state of mind that they're very strong and well built, while still shedding 20 pounds from your rotating mass!

When selecting a driveshaft for your Mustang GT, you want one that has been made to the highest standards for peace of mind. This aluminum driveshaft has been balanced using Schenck military grade equipment to guarantee vibration-free performance. Unlike other designs which use an adapter - causing vibration and even failure - this driveshaft features a completely new pinion flange for superior durability and performance. It features 1330 series U-joints and is a solid, 1 piece design made with 4" Alcoa certified 6061 aluminum tubing.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance.

-Dan
How does the drive shaft do with lowered stangs? Would I need to adjust pinion angle with and UCA?
Old 3/14/13, 04:29 PM
Former Vendor

Stay with either DSS or dynatech. Two very well made DS.
Old 3/14/13, 05:01 PM
GT Member

My main thing is I don't want to spend 7 to 800 and it vibrate or be cheaply made. Plus changing the pinion flange has me slightly worried. It looks fairly simple but I just haven't don't it before.
Old 3/14/13, 05:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 783 Likes on 572 Posts
Would I need to adjust pinion angle with and UCA?
NO ..
Old 3/14/13, 05:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

-Dan
And that's why I got one from AM. AM isn't going to carry a garbage, failure product. Find me one case of a AM driveshaft exploding at high speeds . AM gets them from the axle exchange company. Try to find one failure on a mustang using this brand of driveshaft.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/14/13 at 05:32 PM.
Old 3/14/13, 06:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Stay with either DSS or dynatech. Two very well made DS.
Dynatech for me. If its good enough for NHRA.........
Old 3/14/13, 06:53 PM
GT Member

Is it better to get one that bolts up to the original flange like dynatech I believe or one that replaces the whole flange?
Old 3/14/13, 09:35 PM
V6 Member

Is it better to get one that bolts up to the original flange like dynatech I believe or one that replaces the whole flange?
Dynatech now comes with its own alum flange. Saving an add pound of weight. Some people say to be wary of DS that use an adapter which can cause noise and/or vibration.
Old 3/14/13, 09:56 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
How does the drive shaft do with lowered stangs? Would I need to adjust pinion angle with and UCA?
IIRC the only issue that might crop up if the driveshaft uses an especially large tube dia are clearance issue with adjustable aftermarket shifters.
Old 3/15/13, 07:54 AM
Former Vendor

They do great! Your pinion angle will stay the same usually, up a 1.5" inch drop. Anything after that we usually recommend a set of UCA's/LCA's to make up the difference and correct the pinion angle!

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan