5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Do US 2012 Mustangs have the ability to have Day Time Running Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/11, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do US 2012 Mustangs have the ability to have Day Time Running Lights?

On the 2012 Mustang I read the manual and it tells you how to have day time running lights (p56). I did that. But they are not on. I read in the ordering guide that it was a fleet vehicle only thing (code 61r). But in another car I had, all it was was a fuse that I need to put in to get them working. I have HID's show, in theory, the fog lights would come on. Any one know how to get the DRL function to work on a US mustang?
Old 4/26/11, 03:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

I bought a US spec car and asked the dealer to do it for me before taking delivery of the car and bringing it back here in Canada as DRL's are mandatory here in Canada. But they could not find ( at least the dealership i bought it from) any litterature on how to have that feature activated. We first taught it was just a programmation thing, but in the end, i ended up going to my local dealership and have a relay installed in the passenger's fuse box . I then went for inspection and got my motor vehicle certification. It worked fine for a while, but on some occassions i had the motor run on even with ignition key off. So i removed the relay and everything came back ok after.
Moral of this story is, and this was confirmed by both my dealership and the Ford tech hotline , you need the correct ECU to have this feature activated.
Old 4/26/11, 03:35 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
cant you just leave the normal driving lights on all the time(while driving)?
Old 4/26/11, 04:06 PM
Bullitt Member

The Smart Junction Box (SJB) I believe controls the DRL's. The dealer needs to turn them on.
Old 4/26/11, 07:37 PM

Sure I could drive with my normal lights on, but I was just checking to see whats what with the US DRL's. Not worth any amount of work or money to get them on it sounds like.
As of now, I drive with my parking lights and fog lights on. Until someone tells me that it looks stupid, I'll stick with that. I like the different look that those fog like give off. And when I put the CS/GT front end on, I feel that it will look even better. But, hay, I'm old school. It's like mods, what ever makes you happy.
Old 4/26/11, 08:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Joe_in_Naples
The Smart Junction Box (SJB) I believe controls the DRL's. The dealer needs to turn them on.
No, the dealer tried that at first, but didn't work. Something in the ECU that controls the SJB that only the Canadian versions have.
So, i'm driving mine without the DRL's. But it's fine since i passed inspection already.
Old 4/26/11, 08:26 PM
FR500 Member

I believe there is a way to reprogram the SJB, but the parameter for DRL's is not normally accessible.

I will look up the info and post my theory here.
Old 4/26/11, 09:01 PM
FR500 Member

I remember reading a post somewhere a few years back that mentioned needing a Canadian VIN to turn on the DRL's. I think I have found the procedure that was being referred to. NOTE: I do not know if what I am describing will work as we would intend. You should consult with the service techs to determine if this is actually feasible.

First the basics:
  • The Smart Junction Box is one of the vehicle's Programmable Modules
  • When a Programmable Module needs to be replaced the procedure is to download the configuration from the old module
  • Then upload the configuration to the replacement
  • BUT if the old module is non-functional, a separate procedure allows the technician to get the "As Built Configuration" for that module from Ford
  • The car's VIN is used to access the right data from Ford's servers
  • However, if a specially chosen VIN is used, a different, though compatible configuration may be obtained

The KEY here is that the selected VIN must be from a comparably equipped car, or bad things happen. It is also possible that as the different modules talk to each other, the VIN stored in each one is checked, so things may fall apart here. (I'm still looking for a reference to confirm or deny this)

Originally Posted by 2011 service manual
Programmable Module Installation (PMI) Using the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) When the Original
Module is NOT Available
NOTE:
Following module installation, some modules require a separate procedure be carried out. For instructions, refer to the specific module removal and
installation procedures.
1. Install the new module.
2. Connect the IDS and identify the vehicle as normal.
3. From the Toolbox icon, select Module Programming and press the check mark.
4. Select Programmable Module Installation.
5. Select the module that was replaced.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions, turn the ignition key to the OFF position, and press the check mark.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions, turn the ignition key to the ON position, and press the check mark.
8. If the data is not available, the IDS displays a screen stating to contact the As-Built Data Center. Retrieve the data from the technician service
publication website at this time and press the check mark.

9. Enter the module data and press the check mark.
10. The IDS downloads the data into the new module and displays Module Configuration Complete.
11. Test module for correct operation.
Originally Posted by 2011 service manual
Programmable Parameters
Programmable parameters are customer preference items that may be modified by the dealer via the scan tool or in some cases, modified by the customer
following a procedure listed in the Owner's Literature. While many configuration options may exist for a module, only a few of these options are
programmable parameters.

Adaptive Learning and Calibration
Some modules require a separate learning procedure be carried out if replaced as part of a repair procedure. For adaptive learning and calibration
instructions, refer to the specific module removal and installation procedures.
Vehicle Identification (VID) Block
Some PCMs contain a memory area called a Vehicle Identification (VID) block. The PCM VID block commonly stores powertrain configuration items such
as Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), tire size, axle ratio, and whether or not the vehicle is equipped with speed control.
Module Address
A unique module address is assigned to each module on the network for identification.
As-Built Data
As-Built data is a VIN-specific module configuration record. During vehicle build, the configuration from all modules is downloaded and stored in the As-
Built database. As-Built data does not reflect customer preference items that have been changed from the default state. These items need to be changed using
programmable parameters after the module is configured.
NOTE:
It is not necessary to obtain As-Built data unless directed to do so by the scan tool. This data may be accessed from the technician service publication
website.
The following chart lists As-Built data addresses and describes specific module configuration information:

Last edited by PTRocks; 4/26/11 at 09:08 PM.
Old 4/27/11, 04:37 AM

PTRocks
Great answer. Sounds like a piece of cake to change!

After reading those steps and your warnings, I feel secure in the fact that I can live without DRL's!
Thanks again for all the research.
Old 4/27/11, 04:43 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Web Electric kit DRL-1M5 - $39 - http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Old 4/27/11, 11:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the day I've 1st fired mine up, I've ran the parkings & fogs on! Not for driving lights or safety so much, just look that look! If safety comes along, thats cool! I was thinking about getting that GT/CS fascia, like this look too much! I'm 33, but sounds like you & I went to same old school, in a way.

Ha, I've read & knew basically all there was to know about it. This was my 1st & prob only question I asked my salesman. 'How do I get on my fog lights?' I didn't even need or want to test drive it!!
Old 3/3/17, 08:23 PM
XL7

>> I believe there is a way to reprogram the SJB, but the parameter for DRL's is not normally accessible. <<

I had my Smart (Dumb) Junction Box changed in my 2005 Mustang. I noticed this UNAUTHORIZED modification before I left the dealership. I drove back in and pointed it out, and that I needed to have control of MY lights.

I was told "no problem" they plugged the computer into the car and 3 minutes later my lights were working as they originally were. No more 'Forced Lighting' (a.k.a. Daytime Running Lights the driver cannot turn off.)

General Motors has petitioned the government on two separate occasions to mandate Forced Lighting (aka DRLs) in the US. In both instances, the government turned General Motors down citing NO safety evidence. Far from being considered a 'safety feature', manufacturers and the motoring press are treating DRLs as a 'stylish addition' to a car, concentrating on the look of DRLs as adding character to a car rather than contributing to its safety.

A British study said that statistics about DRLs from eight European countries over a 15-year period show that road fatality rates dropped faster in non-DRL countries such as Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands than fatalities in pro-DRL countries such as Finland, Norway and Sweden. Indeed, Austria has gone as far as to BAN Daytime Running Lights.

Toyota has chosen the proper approach. ALL 2017 Toyota's have "DRL OFF" on the light switch. If you want to drive with lights on during the daytime, you can, if you don't want to, you can turn them off. Makes everyone happy. These are true, Daytime Running Lights. What Ford now has, and some others have, is actually called, ‘Forced Lighting’. With Forced Lighting, the driver has NO control, and is at the total mercy of the junior programmers in Detroit or Japan.

There are many instances where you don't want your lights on, Drive-In movies, waiting outside at night for someone etc. You will notice most law enforcement vehicles have their daytime running lights disabled.

You need to find a dealer that knows how to program a SJB. Most are just too lazy, but it can be done.
Old 3/4/17, 05:27 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,769 Posts
In Canada, it's required under law which is why your unable to disable or turn them off in the first place.. As the DRL function is programmed in the ECU/SJB that way so that it cannot be disabled..

However here in the U.S, the DRL function is not mandatory under law as it is in Canada, at least not just yet anyhow.. Therefore up to this point, there really hasn't been a reason nor purpose behind preventing the driver from either turning off or disabling the DRL function to begin with, if and whenever they choose it's necessary..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/4/17 at 06:48 PM.