Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Do I really need a CAI? CAn I get by with just a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/11, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Ford bulletin and what did it say in the issue? I settled on the Airaid CAI just so I can keep the stock tune and decide later if I want to install an aftermarket tune.
Old 7/5/11, 07:24 PM
V6 Member

https://themustangsource.com/f726/ts...ations-497095/

That whole thread is very informative btw.
Old 7/6/11, 12:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Anthonynoz
I just got my steeda intake and I was well aware of the requirement for a tune with it,however after reading the ford bulletin I chose to not to Install the steeda intake I just hate dealing with dealers etc and I know it's a longshot f*cling up the coyote but still,i live in new York city it's not like I was going to be doing over 80 anywhere legally and safely,however I would love a small noise mod to accompany my hush powers(which sound awesome to me btw)would you guys recommend the roush CAI for this purpose.thAnks in advance guys and btw I have a brand new steeda intake or trade or sale lol
Don't let a chef tell you how to eat a steak bro. Put a few miles on the car and make sure it's ok from the factory. I ran the pis5 out if mine for 120o miles. She held together like a champ and then I put on the tune and cai . You're car will be fine. It's your car though, enjoy it.
Attached Thumbnails Do I really need a CAI? CAn I get by with just a tune?-img_20110530_135912-1.jpg  
Old 7/6/11, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by 2012GT
Which tuner?
I got the SCT/BAMA from Americanmuscle great service good price and free tunes for life.Now I found a Rousch CAI for a good deal so thats on the way should be installed tonight but the tune is a noticeable improvement on it,s own.
Old 7/6/11, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Anthonynoz
https://themustangsource.com/f726/ts...ations-497095/

That whole thread is very informative btw.
I just posted over in the above referenced thread but I'll post the same story here to help ease apprehension.

The tuners are listening and responding. My dad got a Bama 93 octane race tune for his 5.0 at the beginning of the spring. At high RPM and WOT there was a nasty ping (more like a screech). He back off immediately. Coincidently a week later, Bama sent out an update file directly referencing the forums discussing no. 8 piston failure. With the new tune, the high rpm ping is gone, power is slightly down but still improved over stock, and the throttle response is still just as good as the original tune. So it seems that there was a problem that could be related directly to the tune that Ford isn't interested in paying for (although some would and have argued that the engine should not be this sensitive) but the tuners are adjusting and correcting issues.

Back to this thread topic, even with the above, he still feels the tune was still worth it.. if anything.. just for the throttle response.
Old 7/8/11, 10:11 PM

I got the Steeda CAI & Bama tunes from AM and love it. Also got the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge to watch the A/F ratio. Bama sent me a rev to my 93 tune and it runs great!
Old 7/9/11, 04:12 AM

Talking

Added the Rousch CAI with tune nice improvement that you can notice your first ride gotta love these simple and inexspensive ad-ons.