Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Do I really need a CAI? CAn I get by with just a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/11, 06:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I really need a CAI? CAn I get by with just a tune?

Do I really need a aftermarket CAI/Tuner kit or can I get by with just a SCT tuner? Will I get some good gains by going with a Brenspeed or a Steeda tune with the stock airbox?
Old 6/15/11, 06:37 AM
V6 Member

Yes you can go with just a tune and be fine. That's where most of your power comes from with a cai/tune combo. But are you going to just get a tune or will you be modding it in the future with other bolt ons? The more mods you have the better they compliment each other (generally) and help make more power together. So it all depends on what you end goal is. If you going to get a cai anyway, I would suggest going with the combo. It might save you a bit of money.
Old 6/15/11, 06:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do not need to get a CAI. Most of your seat of the pants gains are from the tune.
You can not go wrong with any big name tuner as they will all be close in gains. I have tried several tunes for my auto and i prefer my UPR tune as Jeremy Martorella tunes there. A 3x racing Champion. Also look into VMP and Lund as they make very good tunes also.
Old 6/15/11, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I would like to go with some long tubes at a later date so getting a SCT/3 would be a good idea. I like the looks of a aftermarket CAI but I am thinking it is pricey for 700 bucks for that and a tuner.
Old 6/15/11, 01:41 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IDK if its the same for the 5.0s but after I installed my CAI/Tune (aside from the power gains) it definently opened up the exhaust for a better exhaust note. My guess would be from the added air being sucked in. Even with LT headers and no cats I can still hear the cool little sucking noise the intake makes when I hit the throttle
Old 6/16/11, 11:34 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Joe_in_Naples
I would like to go with some long tubes at a later date so getting a SCT/3 would be a good idea. I like the looks of a aftermarket CAI but I am thinking it is pricey for 700 bucks for that and a tuner.
True but I think it would be cheaper than buying them both seperate.
Old 6/16/11, 04:38 PM
Cobra Member

I had the same question as you did and decided with the CAI with the tune. You will not be disappointed. The gains are worth it, the sound over stock is 100x better...not to mention the looks. Spend the few extra bucks and do it right.
Attached Thumbnails Do I really need a CAI? CAn I get by with just a tune?-steedacai.jpg  
Old 6/16/11, 09:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I have run just a Bama tune w/ no CAI...nice improvement.
Old 6/17/11, 05:38 PM

I actually bought the CAI and the SCT for my '11 5.0. I actually think my car feels stronger with the stock air box instead of the CAI. I took the Steeda CAI off because it felt sluggish with the tune.
Old 6/17/11, 06:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dreem363
I actually bought the CAI and the SCT for my '11 5.0. I actually think my car feels stronger with the stock air box instead of the CAI. I took the Steeda CAI off because it felt sluggish with the tune.
Really??? Should have dyno'd it. If you have the steeda tune and their cai, they are tuned specifically for eachother. Did you have a tune other than steeda's running their cai? If so, that would make sense.
Old 6/22/11, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I think it comes down to what you want. I tried to convince my dad to get the CAI and tune for his 2011 5.0 and he ultimately just got the tune (I have a C&L CAI and Bama tune for my 2006 GT). For him, he didn't want to deal with removing the CAI for inspections and service and wanted to be able to bounce back 'n forth from the stock tune to the aftermarket tunes quickly. He also doesn't plan on doing any other engine mods. Plus the 5.0 intake is already a CAI and the aftermarket CAIs use the same size "intake" piece as the stock one (not like the 2005-2010s which had a really small intake on the stock airbox). I test drove it before and after his tune and I was really pleased with just the tune. Of course I had to tell him that his car dosen't gave cool sucking sound that mine has when you step on the gas.
Old 6/25/11, 07:39 AM

I ordered my SCT/x3 yesterday I,m going to try it with the stock air intake I should have it next week I,ll let you know.
Old 6/27/11, 10:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jb5.0
I ordered my SCT/x3 yesterday I,m going to try it with the stock air intake I should have it next week I,ll let you know.
Cool let us know how it works out jb.
Old 6/27/11, 10:32 PM
Cobra Member

Which tune are you going with?
Old 6/28/11, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

FWIW, CAI is worth about 10~12 hp with or without the tune. You probably get 20 or so HP from the tune and the rest from the CAI.
Old 6/28/11, 12:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
FWIW, CAI is worth about 10~12 hp with or without the tune. You probably get 20 or so HP from the tune and the rest from the CAI.
So then the stock CAI is restrictive?
Old 6/28/11, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

yeah but you can only use I think Air raid and C&L's CAI without also using a tune. I've got the air raid intake on mine using the provided restricter piece designed to limit air flow to ensure proper air/fuel ratios.

The dyno tests of that and the C&L with stock tune shows around 10~12 hp gain over the stock air box but the tune is what really maximizes the potential of more air flow of the CAI.

Same with the exhaust. all the components sort of work together. Same also with the boss intake manifold being more efficient with a CAI and exhaust.

Basically, the more air that can get into and out of the engine, the more power you can potentially make. It all starts at the intake and most of them are relatively the same regarding how much power they make... all within a few hp/tq of each other so buy on fit/finish/quality of construction. I felt that Air Raid was one of the best in that regard and the fact that I haven't made up my mind which tune I want meant that I could run the air raid without having to fool with a tune.
Old 7/5/11, 05:41 AM

I got my tune yesterdy and all I can say is WOW totally different car awsome throttle response, great sound,pulls hard.Great add-on for the price I tried it on the race tune 91 octane very impressive.
Old 7/5/11, 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

Which tuner?
Old 7/5/11, 04:22 PM
V6 Member

I just got my steeda intake and I was well aware of the requirement for a tune with it,however after reading the ford bulletin I chose to not to Install the steeda intake I just hate dealing with dealers etc and I know it's a longshot f*cling up the coyote but still,i live in new York city it's not like I was going to be doing over 80 anywhere legally and safely,however I would love a small noise mod to accompany my hush powers(which sound awesome to me btw)would you guys recommend the roush CAI for this purpose.thAnks in advance guys and btw I have a brand new steeda intake or trade or sale lol

Quick Reply: Do I really need a CAI? CAn I get by with just a tune?