Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Disposed of Dreaded Drone ...

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/11, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disposed of Dreaded Drone ...

Just disconnected the intake-to-firewall "sound effects hose" and plugged holes in firewall and intake tube with parts provided by Airaid.

Voila!

That annoying drone that seems to loosen your fillings is pretty much GONE.

Compared to other axlebacks, the Hushpowers are probably not very loud so this may not work on track-only catbacks.

There is still some sound evident in the cabin (hey, you wanted to HEAR the motor) but it's nothing I can't live with.

As removing the hose is so easy it's worth a try. Good luck.
Old 3/1/11, 03:21 PM
Cobra Member

Could you give a more thorough explanation as to where all this stuff is. Maybe pics as well. I got drone!
Old 3/1/11, 03:40 PM
3rd Times A Charm

He's referring to the sound tube that brings some of the engine noise into the cabin.

Frankly, I can't see how this would effect drone. I was expecting to see pics of a different resonator or something like that.

I know it didn't do anything for me regarding drone.

Even still, good for you! Drone can be a huge pain in the....ears actually!
Old 3/1/11, 07:11 PM

The tube I'm rferring to goes from the intake tube to the firewall. The Airaid kit includes a rubber cap to seal the intake tube and a plastic button plug for the firewall.

The purpose of the tube is to duct intake noise (which would be low-frequency pulses which accounts for that deep-throated "vrooom" we all know and love) into the cabin through the firewall.

It is my theory that the intake pulses match the frequncy of the exhaust pulses as one suck generates one bang. So (no pun intended) with the sucking frequncy in the front of th vehicle equalling the frequency of th banging in the back, an aural harmony is created, which is heard as a hum or drone, depending on several variables, not the least of which is the sense of hearing of the observer. I agree that insulating the floor of the trunk would go a long way to eliminate the drone, that coupled with the sound tube removal would deaden the sound a lot, if not completely. But if there is a little noise remaining, I gotta ask why did you put the axleback in the first place? I did it for the sound, that deep burble at idle -- there is very little if any performance gain to be had by installing louder mufflers.
Old 3/1/11, 09:04 PM
3rd Times A Charm

You had me at "aural harmony"
Old 3/2/11, 04:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
You had me at "aural harmony"

Actually something im researching to get rid of my drone. Possibly buying second skin or lizard skin products and spraying it under the bottom of car (trunk area) and inside the trunk underneath the upholstery. I hear it works wonders but it'll have to wait until spring when I can clean the underbody and all.
Old 3/5/11, 10:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
was gonna be trying this when i get home to prove it works....
Old 3/9/11, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau

Actually something im researching to get rid of my drone. Possibly buying second skin or lizard skin products and spraying it under the bottom of car (trunk area) and inside the trunk underneath the upholstery. I hear it works wonders but it'll have to wait until spring when I can clean the underbody and all.
A good installation of Second Skin Damplifier will help and make the car sound and feel more refined..40 Sq foot kit will do the entire rear and doors and add 15 lbs.

More pics here: http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/m-...und-deadening/

Old 3/9/11, 03:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
A good installation of Second Skin Damplifier will help and make the car sound and feel more refined..40 Sq foot kit will do the entire rear and doors and add 15 lbs.

More pics here: http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/m-...und-deadening/

Very cool. Was it effective at reducing drone?
Old 3/9/11, 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Very cool. Was it effective at reducing drone?
Drone with the Basanni's was pretty minimal, but this quieted things to the point that I may add an X-pipe...and I'm not a fan of loud or obnoxious cars..It's all outside now, not in the cabin
Old 3/9/11, 05:27 PM
Cobra Member

Drone with the Basanni's was pretty minimal, but this quieted things to the point that I may add an X-pipe...and I'm not a fan of loud or obnoxious cars..It's all outside now, not in the cabin
any reason you went with this over other products that second skin offers? like the spray on stuff.
Old 3/9/11, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

any reason you went with this over other products that second skin offers? like the spray on stuff.
It's relatively inexpensive, fairly light and I had a good experience with it deadening my C6 corvette...Not sure you'd get the same result with a spray.... Lotsa info on the second skin site regarding characteristics...
Old 3/10/11, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

It's relatively inexpensive, fairly light and I had a good experience with it deadening my C6 corvette...Not sure you'd get the same result with a spray.... Lotsa info on the second skin site regarding characteristics...
Thanks a ton. I'll probably call them and see what they recommend for my situation so I get it right the first time.