Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Difference between Ford Racing & Borla

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/10, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between Ford Racing & Borla

Are there any differences between the Ford Racing Sport Exhaust (M-5230-MGTLA) and
Borla S Type?
Old 9/18/10, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am interested as well. I don't think so except for the fact that the FR has Ford embossed on the muffler.
Old 9/18/10, 09:48 PM
Banned

im not sure how they get off charging this much
Old 9/19/10, 01:23 AM

For me its a price thing.
200$ less for the FR. For this I get some nice other mods.
Old 9/19/10, 12:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes there IS a difference guys.

David Borla himself clearly stated on these very forums the reason it took them a bit longer to release the Borla's is because they spent quite a long time developing their system to "not drone at all" and to perfect the sound.

If the FRPP version is made by Borla, it will not have the exact same sound and will most likely drone a bit (I've been told by the guys at Galpin Auto Sports that the catbacks do drone a bit). That is the reason the FRPP version came out earlier.
David Borla did not release the Borla versions until the sound and the no drone aspect was perfected in all three of his sound level versions.

That is probably the sole reason you will pay more for the Borla's.
Great sound and he "guarantees" no drone at any speed.
I don't think ANY other catback exhaust can make that claim.

But because I don't want to pay $1400 for a catback exhaust from Borla, I've ordered the GT500 axleback. And it goes on next weekend.
Old 9/19/10, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
But because I don't want to pay $1400 for a catback exhaust from Borla, I've ordered the GT500 axleback. And it goes on next weekend.
i heard the Ford Racing 2011 Mustang GT Sport Muffler KIT (49 STATE) M-5230-MGTLA a guy got on the SVT boards, are you getting these?

or these, 2011 MUSTANG GT - SVT MUFFLER KIT (50 STATE)
M-5230-MGTCA1

whichever it is, a sound clip would be appreciated
Old 9/19/10, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm getting the second ones, the "SVT" ones.
They are the OEM axlebacks on the GT500.

I'll try to post a few sound clips too.
Old 9/25/10, 01:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I was not able to get the GT500 axlebacks on this week.
They are back ordered for a couple months.

Borla makes them and now that they are making their own versions, my theory is, they are cutting back on making the GT500 versions so people will pay nearly twice for essentially the same thing with the Borla name on it.

It's a bummer, but I'm loving the 1" drop on the FRPP springs.
Old 9/25/10, 10:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So Borla makes the GT500 mufflers? Interesting.
Old 9/26/10, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
So Borla makes the GT500 mufflers? Interesting.
Yes and they make the mufflers for the GT500 too, as well as many GM and other cars too.
Old 9/27/10, 10:08 AM
Banned

Driver,

What else did you need for your 1" FRPP drop? Just the springs or did you use the panhard bar, strut mounts? I heard so many things that I'm not even sure I want to lower it at all. I called FRPP tech's and they said you can't just put springs on, got to buy the WHOLE handling pack. Yeah right.

I need some input on this. How's the ride quality? I have Brembo Package and I was hoping I'd just need the springs to lower it. I'm not sure how much it would affect the ride quality/tire wear but I'm willing to do it.

Well I was not able to get the GT500 axlebacks on this week.
They are back ordered for a couple months.

Borla makes them and now that they are making their own versions, my theory is, they are cutting back on making the GT500 versions so people will pay nearly twice for essentially the same thing with the Borla name on it.

It's a bummer, but I'm loving the 1" drop on the FRPP springs.
Old 10/2/10, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Driver,

What else did you need for your 1" FRPP drop? Just the springs or did you use the panhard bar, strut mounts? I heard so many things that I'm not even sure I want to lower it at all. I called FRPP tech's and they said you can't just put springs on, got to buy the WHOLE handling pack. Yeah right.

I need some input on this. How's the ride quality? I have Brembo Package and I was hoping I'd just need the springs to lower it. I'm not sure how much it would affect the ride quality/tire wear but I'm willing to do it.
The springs and the adjustable panhard bar is what I put on and all you need.

I had mine put on at the "world famous" Galpin Auto Sports.
I know I paid probably $100-150 more for it there, but these guys at on the top of their game there. One of the reason it was the shop used on the show "Pimp My Ride"

They are very good at customizing Fords (and many other cars) and just know their stuff.

The ride is nice, a bit more stiff and a tiny bit more bounce, but definitely a bit more buttoned down too.
My main reason for the drop was to eliminate the wheel gap, then to tighten up the drive a bit.

You should do the panhard bar too. They stated the car will shift about 1/4" otherwise. Not a huge amount but enough to justify the few hundred extra bucks for the adjustable panhard bar so your car ride and drives straight.
Old 10/2/10, 10:27 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The springs and the adjustable panhard bar is what I put on and all you need.

The ride is nice, a bit more stiff and a tiny bit more bounce, but definitely a bit more buttoned down too.

You should do the panhard bar too. They stated the car will shift about 1/4" otherwise. Not a huge amount but enough to justify the few hundred extra bucks for the adjustable panhard bar so your car ride and drives straight.

This.

I did the Ford springs and an adjustable panhard. You DO NOT need anything else, but you must also realize the consequences. The car was not made to ride as such, and you will be putting additional stress on your shocks, causing them to go earlier than they normally would. It also depends on your driving style. If you're going to take it to a shop and know you'll be putting on shocks later, consider just doing it all at that point. The reason I say this is because it'll most likely end up being cheaper in the end. I know if i've already got a car in the air I charge less to do the complete setup.

At the end of the a day, a slightly lowered Mustang is pure win.