Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Data Logging Question

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/14, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Data Logging Question

I did a lot of researching into the new Mustang GT's before I bought mine. Mostly it was for what were things to look out for or expect for normal quirks. The talk about cyl #8 has got me concerned. An equal amount of research shows people claiming stock tune, and, ALL early tunes causing engine damage. My car is a 2012GT and the previous owner put on, so far as I can tell an airraid CAI and Borla exhaust, I am assuming just axle backs for now until I see the car on a lift.

Since there is a general consensus that if you make pretty much any changes the car will need a re-tune I'm concerned with my car's setup. I don't have enough time in these cars to have a good feel if one is tuned. So far as I can tell, since the dash tells me at odd times to shift 1->4 for fuel economy combined with the mpg I get it appears there is no tune on the car. Or if there was the dealer/ previous owner returned it to factory?

What is the best way I can tell if there is a tune on the car? Do I take it to the dealer and have them match the flash counter against their records? Should I be worried with the CAI install and running the factory tune? I have been looking at Ford's procal to get rid of the skip shift nonsense but I don't see how I would have easy access to data logging with their handheld. Or do they use the SCTx4 that seems to be popular now? I've looked for videos showing a data logging session on the SCTx4 and I have not found anything. Is there a way I can, without buying an AFR gauge read my AFR's and or my EGT's realtime?

I feel like I've got too much information to parse in making a choice here. I've never taken a car to a dyno before but I am wondering if that would be the best thing to do in order to gather all the data on what the car is doing.
Old 9/8/14, 08:23 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints
My car is a 2012GT and the previous owner put on, so far as I can tell an airraid CAI and Borla exhaust, I am assuming just axle backs for now until I see the car on a lift.

What is the best way I can tell if there is a tune on the car? Do I take it to the dealer and have them match the flash counter against their records? Should I be worried with the CAI install and running the factory tune? I have been looking at Ford's procal to get rid of the skip shift nonsense but I don't see how I would have easy access to data logging with their handheld. Or do they use the SCTx4 that seems to be popular now? I've looked for videos showing a data logging session on the SCTx4 and I have not found anything. Is there a way I can, without buying an AFR gauge read my AFR's and or my EGT's realtime?
This is why I'd never buy a car that I even suspect has been modified at all. You never know for sure what's been done or if the person knew what they were doing.

Exhaust doesn't really require a tune for axle-back or even cat-back, but I believe headers or an off-road mid-pipe will. So you should be fine as far as the exhaust goes.

Depending on which CAI version you have, it may or may not be tuned. I just did some quick research...looks like there's a "race" version, which definitely requires a tune or you'll get a CEL. And then there's a "normal" version, which can be configured to work with or without a tune. It comes with an insert than makes the intake tube diameter smaller. This allows it to not need a tune (and also makes it worthless). If you don't have the insert installed, then you need a tune or you'll get a CEL.

So you need to figure out whether you have the insert installed or not. That will give you a good idea if you have a tune or not. You could also run it and see if the rev/speed limiters have been raised or removed...though not the safest idea for yourself or your car.

I can't comment on whether you can datalog with the procal, but it's fairly common with an SCT. However, buying an SCT implies that you'll now have a tune...so none of this will be an issue anymore.

As for getting info from your car, you could also look into getting a Bluetooth OBD-II dongle and a phone app (Torque/etc.). Lots of good info there, although I can't say for sure if it has real-time AFR or EGT info. It's been a while since I've had to use it.

I hope some of this is helpful.
// End brain-dump.
Old 9/8/14, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
This is why I'd never buy a car that I even suspect has been modified at all. You never know for sure what's been done or if the person knew what they were doing....
// End brain-dump.
While I agree with this line of thought when I test drove the car, there were no CEL warnings or anything of that nature. It does not feel like it's down on power and with tcs off I don't feel timing being pullled. I figured since it was put together well enough it should be good. I've wound out 2nd and wot shifted 3rd a couple times and the car feels pretty solid.

I snapped a few picture, looks like I'm going to have to turn some screws to look for that "Modular Venturi Tube" insert piece

Name:  ZqlKimD.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  686.2 KB
Old 9/8/14, 01:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The only way to tell what is on the car as far as tune is to suck down the calibration from the PCM and load the binary into an application able to view ford dumps.

If you want to guarantee that the car is running the stock calibration, have the dealer do a PMI on it.

Cheers,
-Matt
Old 9/12/14, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey shatter points..

for data logging its not hard at all....visit lund racing (website) go to support and you will find what you need there to down load.

you need the sct device updater to transfer files (tunes) to your sct tuner handheld device.
as well youll have to download the live link gen 2 for data logging purposes.

sense you have a stang the sct device should have the code 1305 on it....now if someone sold you that car with a tune and gave you no device with the purchase, hunt that guy down cause your factory tune is on that device....kind of important to have.

if your having issues with the tune in the car and want sure reliability my advice to you is contact jon lund (lund racing) and get an updated tune from him and you car will love you for it....jon is the leading tuner in north America in my opinion and many many others.

some history on mine....I have a 13 gt, 5.0 and recently installed a vortech v3 with ID1000's and a BAP, full exhaust & CAI....the coyote motor can easily handle 600 rwhp without any issues, so don't be afraid of installing a race tune on your car dude.
Old 9/12/14, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by shayner
hey shatter points..

for data logging its not hard at all....visit lund racing (website) go to support and you will find what you need there to down load.

you need the sct device updater to transfer files (tunes) to your sct tuner handheld device.
as well youll have to download the live link gen 2 for data logging purposes.

sense you have a stang the sct device should have the code 1305 on it....now if someone sold you that car with a tune and gave you no device with the purchase, hunt that guy down cause your factory tune is on that device....kind of important to have.

if your having issues with the tune in the car and want sure reliability my advice to you is contact jon lund (lund racing) and get an updated tune from him and you car will love you for it....jon is the leading tuner in north America in my opinion and many many others.

some history on mine....I have a 13 gt, 5.0 and recently installed a vortech v3 with ID1000's and a BAP, full exhaust & CAI....the coyote motor can easily handle 600 rwhp without any issues, so don't be afraid of installing a race tune on your car dude.
Thanks for the info! I have since removed the CAI and inspected it. It has the OEM insert which maintains the stock diameter/ positioning of the MAF. Since this was done, and skip shift is still enabled and the car does not run like crap. I feel good assuming it has the factory tune/mapping. After a lot of reading around online I decided to go with Amazon Tuning. They have a lot of positive reviews and I cannot find anything negative about them. I called around to a few of the other tuners and just felt good talking to Amazon in addition to their good reviews.

The car is my DD so at this point I care mostly about cyl#8 being safe. I don't know what type of gains just a tune can get me. But if it makes the car more fun to drive and gets rid of skip shift, I'm happy... plus a few extra HP is always nice.
Old 9/12/14, 09:12 PM
Just Plain Rude!

There are a lot of good options for tuning...but I've never heard of "Amazon", so good luck with it.
Old 9/12/14, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
There are a lot of good options for tuning...but I've never heard of "Amazon", so good luck with it.
Thanks, I have read around about ATS and the other tuning options, there is equal parts good/bad about all of them. Its just really hard to judge based on information from people without more details other than happy/unhappy. Though due to recent drama fest within the Mustang tuning community I'm uneasy about about it as a whole.
Old 9/13/14, 08:53 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Well definitely post up your experience after you try it out. Tuning has just been constant mud-slinging since the 5.0 arrived. A lot of which is completely unwarranted, so there's a lot of bad advice out there right now.