Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Contemplating Exhaust change

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/13, 10:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contemplating Exhaust change

So I've had the car now for eight months now. 10,000 miles (we took a few long trips in it already) I've visually made it look exactly how I wanted.

Within the first few days of ownership I changed out the exhaust immediately. GT500 axlebacks and a resonator delete.

I like it. I like it a lot. Especially when the top is down. It's loud enough to be heard and noticed, but not a lot. Anyone who has this exhaust knows it's pretty quiet until you get on it. But that said, I can easily hear the JLT intake on it over the sound of the exhaust.

Now I don't know why... it's the modder in me. Many of us suffer from it.. But I still kinda regret not getting the louder Borla S-Types. I kinda want to save up and change the exhaust. Then there's the whole.. well I could just get OR pipes, and simply go catless. It'll be louder for sure. But then from experience, it'll also stink in cold weather and at long stop lights. especially with the top down.

If I go catless I still have to deal with state inspection in the wonderful state of Maryland.

I dunno.. looking for advice here. every time I listen to borla vids (especially the one they have for their marketing of the exhaust) I want to immediately change out my "stock" GT500 axlebacks for them.

I'm so lost.

Will the Borla's be too loud with my convertible?

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 4/14/13 at 10:16 PM.
Old 4/15/13, 04:01 AM
GT Member

Last week i swapped out my GT500 AB's for Borla S-Types and havent looked back!!!

IMO... The borlas are louder on start up ( instant satisfaction for me every time i crank the car ). They are similar to the GT500's at idle as they are still quiet but u can notice a deeper tone. I can slightly slighty hear them when cruising but you have to be listening for them. In 6th you can hardly hear them. But when you get on the throttle they are alot deeper =) and when you take it over 4K they come alive!!

If i had to do it again i would make the same choice. I really enjoyed my GT500's as for the same reasons you do. But the quality of the product and the quality of sound of the Borla do it for me. But then again i've wanted borla exhaust since highschool when i was jealous of my friend who had borlas on a termi cobra.

I cant speak for everyone but IMO Borla is best. Good luck to you! BTW the s-types retail in the $759.00 area but AM prices matched them for me from Jegs.com and they were $651.00
Old 4/15/13, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by YouGoGlenCocoa
Last week i swapped out my GT500 AB's for Borla S-Types and havent looked back!!!
I bought GT500 Axle Backs before my car was delivered. The stock exhaust sounds wonderful to me so now I am debating making any changes at this time. I would like to paint the back of the mufflers black, I think they are ugly hanging down.
Old 4/15/13, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
boss side pipes. put the sound right next to your head. can even adjust levels with different size holes in the baffles.
Old 4/15/13, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest removing the stock H pipe and replacing it with a 3" H or X pipe. I liked the sound of my GT500's but they weren't loud enough on their own. After having my Pypes X pipe welded in and the resonators deleted it is perfect. It has a very deep tone and I get a lot of complements on the sound.
Old 4/15/13, 01:28 PM
Banned

Resonators already deleted, not changing stock H pupe. Nothing wrong with it and im sick of x pipes. Thats all I ever had on my GTO.
Old 4/15/13, 01:46 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Resonators already deleted, not changing stock H pupe. Nothing wrong with it and im sick of x pipes. Thats all I ever had on my GTO.
Why do you like H better than X aside from the fact you had one on a gto?
Old 4/15/13, 01:52 PM
Banned

I prefer the lower note of the H, along with the more trumpety turbulant low end, and if course that the banks are less inclined to cross at higher RPMs, due to the flow dynamics. That of course is one of the major reasons for the muscle car sound. I experimented with an H crossover, an X crossover, and no crossover at all on my old GTO. I liked no crossover the best for the mean sound, but the Flowmasters ruined the experience with their hollow tin can sound.
Old 4/15/13, 02:01 PM
GT Member

Thanks. Learn something new every day. I have not yet experimented with changing from H to X and by the sounds of it won't be.
Old 4/15/13, 02:12 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do it right with Borla S The smell of no cats was obnixious to me, then you have to worry about inspections, and i'm not sure with the 5.0 but on my 4.6 the exhaust note sounded raspy with no cats. Highflow cats can also increase volume.
Old 4/15/13, 02:13 PM
Banned

That's what I'm here for. To educate you boys about cars. :-P
Old 4/15/13, 02:21 PM
GT Member

Hang around for awhile. I have a ways to go Feels like yesterday I was looking up the difference between axle back and catback... Oh that's probably because it was yesterday.
Old 4/15/13, 02:33 PM
GT Member

I've himmed and hawed about this since I placed my order for the car, just ordered my S-type cat back last night. Their x pipe is a little different shaped than others I've seen, and the videos I've watched don't really depict any of that typical x pipe obnoxiousness. I shared your sentiment about preferring H-pipes, but after going through a pro/con list of Borla S vs heartthrob H I ended just ordering the Borla.
Old 4/15/13, 07:25 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Didn't I tell you this from day 1? You kept saying the gt500s were perfect...and I kept saying I was in the EXACT same boat you were? I had the gt500s as well, but once I heard the borla s types in person from a buddy, it was game over. Not only was the volume louder, but the TONE was so much better. Gt500s are a 2 out of 10, and borla s axlebacks are an 8, while borla full catback is a 10. Period. Get the borlas...you won't look back. It's perfection in every possible way.

Here they are on my car.

Originally Posted by Fullahead
I've himmed and hawed about this since I placed my order for the car, just ordered my S-type cat back last night. Their x pipe is a little different shaped than others I've seen, and the videos I've watched don't really depict any of that typical x pipe obnoxiousness. I shared your sentiment about preferring H-pipes, but after going through a pro/con list of Borla S vs heartthrob H I ended just ordering the Borla.

Good move. You won't regret it.

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
I prefer the lower note of the H, along with the more trumpety turbulant low end, and if course that the banks are less inclined to cross at higher RPMs, due to the flow dynamics. That of course is one of the major reasons for the muscle car sound. I experimented with an H crossover, an X crossover, and no crossover at all on my old GTO. I liked no crossover the best for the mean sound, but the Flowmasters ruined the experience with their hollow tin can sound.
The borla x pipe is different. Trust me. I worried about that x pipe sound as well, which is why I almost got the boss h pipe...for the allegedly lower tone. Something about the borla x pipe for their full catback...it's definitively got a deeper tone esp on startup, and stays authoritative to redline.

Originally Posted by YouGoGlenCocoa

IMO... The borlas are louder on start up ( instant satisfaction for me every time i crank the car ). They are similar to the GT500's at idle as they are still quiet but u can notice a deeper tone. I can slightly slighty hear them when cruising but you have to be listening for them. In 6th you can hardly hear them. But when you get on the throttle they are alot deeper =) and when you take it over 4K they come alive!!

If i had to do it again i would make the same choice. I really enjoyed my GT500's as for the same reasons you do. But the quality of the product and the quality of sound of the Borla do it for me. But then again i've wanted borla exhaust since highschool when i was jealous of my friend who had borlas on a termi cobra.

I cant speak for everyone but IMO Borla is best. Good luck to you! BTW the s-types retail in the $759.00 area but AM prices matched them for me from Jegs.com and they were $651.00
Wait till you hear the full catback. It's v8 heaven.

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/15/13 at 07:33 PM.
Old 4/15/13, 07:55 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Diva:

Save the coin and buy the Borla S catback.

I have a 2011 GT500 convertible with the Borla S Catback and no resonators. Sound is glorious. Perfect tone and volume. Sound is pure muscle car.

People roll down the windows when the pass me to hear the exhaust if I am cruising.

I also have the Borla Atak on my terminator vert which also sounds amazing but are a bit raspier than the S type.

Borla FTW.

MJJ
Old 4/15/13, 08:09 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by MJJ
Diva:

I have a 2011 GT500 convertible with the Borla S Catback and no resonators. Sound is glorious. Perfect tone and volume. Sound is pure muscle car.

People roll down the windows when the pass me to hear the exhaust if I am cruising.

I also have the Borla Atak on my terminator vert which also sounds amazing but are a bit raspier than the S type.

Borla FTW.

MJJ
Borla ftw indeed.
Old 4/15/13, 08:42 PM
GT Member

In my opinion this one sounds better:
Originally Posted by hwm3
I like my Stainless Works setup. Jegs cat deletes, FRPP Xpipe, Stainless Works fatback

CatDelete - YouTube

Last edited by Shhhh; 4/15/13 at 08:44 PM.
Old 4/15/13, 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MJJ
Diva:

Borla FTW.

MJJ

Yeah, my fiancee would stab me in the eye if I spend that much on exhaust.
Old 4/15/13, 09:54 PM
GT Member

. Amazing sound!
Old 4/16/13, 03:52 AM
GT Member

Does anyone know if you can buy the borla x pipe seperate?

Quick Reply: Contemplating Exhaust change