5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Changing axle back

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/13, 08:03 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing axle back

Many threads here but I don't see anyone with kooks long tubes, kooks catted
h-pipe and rousch axle backs or flowmaster outlaws. I currently have the kooks long tubes, catted h and flowmaster 40 series but it isn't loud enough for me. I don't want to lose my cats for now. My question is how much louder would either the rousch or outlaws be?

Last edited by BLACKSTANG13; 3/7/13 at 08:46 PM.
Old 3/7/13, 08:37 PM
GT Member

I just switched from Flowmaster Outlaws to Roush Axlebacks on mine. Both are pretty high on the decibels. Outlaws are a straight up muffler delete, I don't care what anyone says. The drone at 2k rpm was just insufferable, and the rest of my exhaust is stock. The Roush's have a very nice exhaust note IMHO. I love them to death. I just had them installed day before yesterday and haven't looked back. I hear very minor drone with those, but I find the sound to be pleasant.
Now, on to what you could do with your set up. On your Over The Axle pipes, you have a set of mid-mufflers. If you remove those, I believe you will find the sound you are looking for. It may start to drone pretty bad, though. It would sound very nice otherwise, I believe.
Old 3/9/13, 11:12 PM
GT Member

My Buddy at work has a 2013 with the Flowmaster outlaw cat back (mini x pipe is included and its all 3in front to back) and its insanely loud! Sounds amazing in the higher revs (think race car ) but its pretty obnoxious everywhere else. Raspy and dirty sounding with just a tinge of metallic-ness to it.

I'm still shopping for my 2011, in the meantime I'm going to take his factory stuff and do the resonator delete and some stock axle backs for now. I can't afford anything else and my setup is mangled! I'm the third owner of this car and whom ever had it before me absolutely butchered this thing! It rattles and leaks and has bird **** welds at all the joints where someone previously chopped out the resonators and then didn't get it to hang right. So for now it's going to be a factory setup off a 2013 with resonator deletes.

But man are those outlaws nasty loud!
Old 3/10/13, 04:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JVasser
My Buddy at work has a 2013 with the Flowmaster outlaw cat back (mini x pipe is included and its all 3in front to back) and its insanely loud! Sounds amazing in the higher revs (think race car ) but its pretty obnoxious everywhere else. Raspy and dirty sounding with just a tinge of metallic-ness to it.

I'm still shopping for my 2011, in the meantime I'm going to take his factory stuff and do the resonator delete and some stock axle backs for now. I can't afford anything else and my setup is mangled! I'm the third owner of this car and whom ever had it before me absolutely butchered this thing! It rattles and leaks and has bird **** welds at all the joints where someone previously chopped out the resonators and then didn't get it to hang right. So for now it's going to be a factory setup off a 2013 with resonator deletes.

But man are those outlaws nasty loud!
My '11 had wrecked exhaust too when I got it. It had a ghetto muffler delete and was missing a whole **** muffler bracket lol. I actually just got that replaced last Monday. I had to do a lot of damage control on my girl when I got her.
I agree that the Outlaws are obnoxious. One of the reasons that they had to go lol. I love my Roush's.
Old 3/11/13, 06:23 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for replies. I found my problem today: still have stock resonators. UNBELIEVABLE!! Asked the guy who did the install of exhaust and he is like it will make it loud. I said that's kinda the point
So I will do the resonator delete and see how much better the sound is before dropping another 5 bills on the Roush!
Old 3/15/13, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BLACKSTANG13
Thanks for replies. I found my problem today: still have stock resonators. UNBELIEVABLE!! Asked the guy who did the install of exhaust and he is like it will make it loud. I said that's kinda the point
So I will do the resonator delete and see how much better the sound is before dropping another 5 bills on the Roush!
Why didn't you just throw the Kooks Cat-back on while you were at it? You already have their headers and catted pipe. The cat-back would have replaced the over-axle pipes, so no more resonators and a smooth, complete system!.