Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Changed her oil this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/13, 12:17 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
This weekend, I went ahead and changed Marilyn's blood. This is my once a year must-have alone time with her. It was a blast. Did it in about an hour or so. Could have been done way sooner, but a lot of it was mucking around while the oil drained completely, and stopped dripping. She put on about 3000 miles since the last oil change. The oil removed from her during this oil change didn't appear "dark" by any means, but darker than new oil of course.

My process was, jacking her up using my favorite garage tool, my Craftsman LED low profile jack...I love this thing. I placed her on stands. I opened the oil cap and pulled the dip stick. I then proceeded to drain her oil by removing her magnetic plug.... then, removed the oil filter. I love my Craftsman strap wrench for removing the filter. IMO, nothing gets filters loose like a strap wrench, with no worries of damaging filters. I also used the ziplock Baggie trick for zero spills. Once drained, plugged everything back up, then replaced with a new Amsoil EA017 filter. Then filled her with 8 quarts of Amsoil Sig Series 5W-20. Checked oil, perfect. Checked for leaks, none. Went for a drive around the block, came back, shut her off and let her rest for 1/2 hour or so, then checked her levels again. Perfect.

Tadaaa...done... Sunday morning bliss. Changing oil has got to be one of the easiest things to do, and best ways to get some alone time with your car

Last edited by FromZto5; 7/9/13 at 02:51 PM.
Old 7/9/13, 12:55 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Getting a 'lil dirty with Marylin, eh?
Old 7/9/13, 02:59 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Getting a 'lil dirty with Marylin, eh?
Haha Paul... Dirty for sure...
Old 7/9/13, 03:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How many miles on her now??
Old 7/9/13, 03:48 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a magnetic drain plug. Did it pick up anything?
Old 7/9/13, 04:27 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Awesome! Some one on one time with the beast!
Old 7/9/13, 08:54 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JCStang
How many miles on her now??
She has 5400 miles now! Almost 2 years old. Can't believe it.

Originally Posted by David Young
I've been thinking about getting a magnetic drain plug. Did it pick up anything?
If it did, it was very minute. I wasn't expecting to see large chunks at all... But hopefully on a minuscule level, it was doing its part.

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Awesome! Some one on one time with the beast!
You know it stage!!!
Old 7/10/13, 06:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You've had more chances to drive yours, between work and the crappy weather I have only added about 700 miles so far so since April, but at least I finally broke 4,000 miles. Yours is looking excellent as always!!!
Old 7/10/13, 12:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Oh you low mileage guys. I'm approaching 49,000 miles and I bought it with 11,000 on 9/2/11. So that means I'm averaging 1,700 a month!

Anyway, strap wrenches are good, though I prefer the cup-style oil filter wrench or, even better, the K&N oil filters with a 1" nut on top for easy removal!
Old 7/10/13, 01:00 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JCStang
You've had more chances to drive yours, between work and the crappy weather I have only added about 700 miles so far so since April, but at least I finally broke 4,000 miles. Yours is looking excellent as always!!!
Crap! Now I have more miles than you Jeff!!!

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Oh you low mileage guys. I'm approaching 49,000 miles and I bought it with 11,000 on 9/2/11. So that means I'm averaging 1,700 a month!

Anyway, strap wrenches are good, though I prefer the cup-style oil filter wrench or, even better, the K&N oil filters with a 1" nut on top for easy removal!
Kyle, I agree... the filters with nuts are just plain smart. Perhaps an added cost.
Old 7/10/13, 01:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Just hit 1000 miles yesterday. First oil change was back at 400. Anyone doing oil analysis as you change oil?
Old 7/10/13, 01:53 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Just hit 1000 miles yesterday. First oil change was back at 400. Anyone doing oil analysis as you change oil?
It's a great thing to do for sure, but for me, I don't because I figure, what good is it going to do me anyways. Let's say it comes be slightly high or slightly low, it's not like Ford is going to somehow magically give me a new engine. LOL. If anything, it will make me worry more
Old 7/10/13, 02:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
It's a great thing to do for sure, but for me, I don't because I figure, what good is it going to do me anyways. Let's say it comes be slightly high or slightly low, it's not like Ford is going to somehow magically give me a new engine. LOL. If anything, it will make me worry more
I've done one on my car and will probably do it annually. FromZto5's point is good though...I'm honestly not sure what I'd do if they alerted me to a problem. I suppose I'd go see the dealer, ask their opinion and see what could be done?

I may have a chance to test that soon, with my wife's car. We bought it with 35K on it a couple months ago, but the guy that had it before us had it as a second car and rarely drove it and did zero maintenance in the three years he owned it. As soon as we got it home from Des Moines, I changed the oil and sent it to Blackstone for analysis. Here's what they said:

KYLE: This first sample from your new-to-you Mazda 2.3L was high in aluminum and iron when compared to universal averages, which show typical wear after about 5,500 miles on the oil. We suspect this oil was in use longer than that, based on the high iron. That's the only metal that tracks with time on oil - more miles on the oil means more iron. With aluminum and iron reading high, we might be seeing some piston scuffing too. The viscosity was on target for a 5W/20 and insolubles show good oil filtration. Try running around 5,000 miles next and check back.

So, I did another oil change at 1,000 miles and got this back:

KYLE: Metals look a lot better in this sample than they did last time. To be sure, for just 933 miles on the oil, aluminum and iron are still a little elevated when you consider they're already average (or a little higher) and averages are based on about 5,500 miles on the oil. But, remember that not all the old oil leaves the engine in one oil change. Some oil stays in the engine and that residual oil could explain some of the metal here. If you use another ~1,000-mile interval, aluminum and iron should improve. Stay within 3,000 miles at most.

So I changed it again just short of 3,000 and am waiting for that analysis to come in. What I'll do if they tell me the aluminum and iron are still way high, I'm not sure. I'm not going to tear down the motor and replace the pistons, and the car's out of warranty, so it might just be something for me to worry about
Old 7/10/13, 02:56 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde

I've done one on my car and will probably do it annually. FromZto5's point is good though...I'm honestly not sure what I'd do if they alerted me to a problem. I suppose I'd go see the dealer, ask their opinion and see what could be done?

I may have a chance to test that soon, with my wife's car. We bought it with 35K on it a couple months ago, but the guy that had it before us had it as a second car and rarely drove it and did zero maintenance in the three years he owned it. As soon as we got it home from Des Moines, I changed the oil and sent it to Blackstone for analysis. Here's what they said:

KYLE: This first sample from your new-to-you Mazda 2.3L was high in aluminum and iron when compared to universal averages, which show typical wear after about 5,500 miles on the oil. We suspect this oil was in use longer than that, based on the high iron. That's the only metal that tracks with time on oil - more miles on the oil means more iron. With aluminum and iron reading high, we might be seeing some piston scuffing too. The viscosity was on target for a 5W/20 and insolubles show good oil filtration. Try running around 5,000 miles next and check back.

So, I did another oil change at 1,000 miles and got this back:

KYLE: Metals look a lot better in this sample than they did last time. To be sure, for just 933 miles on the oil, aluminum and iron are still a little elevated when you consider they're already average (or a little higher) and averages are based on about 5,500 miles on the oil. But, remember that not all the old oil leaves the engine in one oil change. Some oil stays in the engine and that residual oil could explain some of the metal here. If you use another ~1,000-mile interval, aluminum and iron should improve. Stay within 3,000 miles at most.

So I changed it again just short of 3,000 and am waiting for that analysis to come in. What I'll do if they tell me the aluminum and iron are still way high, I'm not sure. I'm not going to tear down the motor and replace the pistons, and the car's out of warranty, so it might just be something for me to worry about
That's interesting Kyle. Yeah, what I don't know won't harm me I guess lol. Let me know the results of your new test analysis.
Old 7/10/13, 05:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
It's nice to see that you used the right type of blood.
Old 7/10/13, 07:08 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by TheReaper
It's nice to see that you used the right type of blood.
Amsoil ftw. Best oil out there, period. That being said, for my dailies, I use castrol edge titanium synthetic.
Old 7/10/13, 07:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Oil "wear" and breakdown will vary some with car use/driving style, so I am mostly interested in running analysis to make sure my oil is holding up and to get some data on a couple types of oil. The ford recommended oil change cycle is what, every 7500 miles? I don't ever plan to go that long since I plan on keeping this car a long time (well past the end of the warranty) so I want to minimize wear while I am under warranty. Probably a bit overkill but for peace of mind I will pay a bit extra for an analysis and lower mile intervals for oil changes
Old 7/10/13, 08:00 PM
I Have No Life

Oil "wear" and breakdown will vary some with car use/driving style, so I am mostly interested in running analysis to make sure my oil is holding up and to get some data on a couple types of oil. The ford recommended oil change cycle is what, every 7500 miles? I don't ever plan to go that long since I plan on keeping this car a long time (well past the end of the warranty) so I want to minimize wear while I am under warranty. Probably a bit overkill but for peace of mind I will pay a bit extra for an analysis and lower mile intervals for oil changes
That makes sense. I only have 5400 miles but have done 3 or so oil changes. I change mine based on time intervals instead.
Old 7/10/13, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I run the Amsoil SS for 8k and change it. Did the same with my 2007 GT with zero issues and oil usage.
Old 7/10/13, 08:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I hope I can keep miles low enough on this car so that I consider time in addition to miles between changes! I think over the winter I will put on very few miles so that should help offset summer and fall where the miles are racking up pretty quickly so far!

Quick Reply: Changed her oil this weekend