Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

C&L 2013 CAI on automatic.

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/13, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C&L 2013 CAI on automatic.

Today I decided to install my new C&L cold air intake with the rain guard housing for 2013-14 5.0 Mustangs. Opening the box it shipped from C&L Performance in I immediately knew I'd picked the right intake for my ride. The quality of the shield, MAF housing, air tube....shield even! I'd elected to get the one with the calibration tube insert so I could run it without a custom tune at this time. Intructions are pretty straightforward but there's no pictures included so I did a little research online and found help at American Muscle (thanks guys!) where there were detailed instructions on how to assemble and install this intake. There was one goof up on my part trying to install the PCV hose fitting to the stub on the new intake, while I was attempting to get it on the C&L stub the hose PCV fitting on the drivers side coil cover popped off. Then I noticed that the ring lock for that end of the hose fitting wouldn't snap locked any more. It still fairly lightly clicks into place but you can pull it straight off again without sliding the little grey nub. Oh well, it seems to stay in place now that I've had the car running so I'll keep an eye on it. Anyhow I installed the barbed stub for the automatic transmission vacuum hose onto the C&L air tube. This is the part of the installation that to me, could have been better. To do this intall correctly, according to the instructions you must cut the factory vacuum hose just aft (behind) where the factory locking hose clamp is and remove it. Then push the exposed 3/8s hose over the new barbed stub. Simple enough, but I gotta say I don't like cutting into factory hoses and stuff if I can avoid it. The hose is nice and snug on the stub but now that it's been shortened.... the hose no longer fits squarely under the plastic engine cover when it's reinstalled (see pictures). Otherwise, the kit comes partially assembled which speeds up the install and thanks to the Boss 302 strut tower braces height I didnt have to remove the brace to get the engine cover off for the installation! I took the car for a quick 10 minute run around and I believe the exhaust sound has gotten a bit deeper and there's a possibility I picked up a slight amount of extra low end torque and meanness. I'm ecstatic about this CAI! Torque tune here I come!

Last edited by Pythonman; 5/10/13 at 02:39 PM.
Old 5/10/13, 05:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to get a tune check out Eric at Brookspeed. Best auto tune i have tried. Only tune that pulls through the whole power band and shifts like it should. Ran a 12 flat @ 118 with tune and tires.
Old 5/10/13, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
If you are going to get a tune check out Eric at Brookspeed. Best auto tune i have tried. Only tune that pulls through the whole power band and shifts like it should. Ran a 12 flat @ 118 with tune and tires.
Thanks for the heads up. Whoever I go with, be it Eric or Shaun at AED or the VMP guy or Doug at C&L I hope they have the correct tune setup for the CAI I just bought. Do you recommend any preference for handheld, say SCT or Diablosport? Thanks!
Old 5/11/13, 04:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SCT and any of the tuners you listed will be fine. I love my VMP tune.
Old 5/11/13, 06:22 AM

SCT it is then. I know the Diablosport is invisible if you remove a tune before taking the ride into a Ford service dept for whatever. But if the best tuners recommend SCT as the best handheld for my ride then thats what I'm gonna use. Period.
Old 5/11/13, 06:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Pythonman
SCT it is then. I know the Diablosport is invisible if you remove a tune before taking the ride into a Ford service dept for whatever. But if the best tuners recommend SCT as the best handheld for my ride then thats what I'm gonna use. Period.
Still wondering if its really invisible.
Old 5/11/13, 06:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pythonman
SCT it is then. I know the Diablosport is invisible if you remove a tune before taking the ride into a Ford service dept for whatever.
Originally Posted by steven46746
Still wondering if its really invisible.
Exactly. What they claim and what's the truth may be two different things.
Old 5/11/13, 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Just buy a SCT Tuner and forget the other brand.