Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Brenspeed Tune Getting 40hp!

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/10, 08:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brenspeed Tune Getting 40hp!

Here is what Brian said over at AFM
This is what Brian from Brenspeed wrote over at AFM forum.

"Sorry for the delay everyone. It has been one rough week here at Brenspeed, but its finally Friday and I have some of the results. After dyno tuning 12 5.0's this week, we are confident to release hp gains to the public. I don't know how the weather was in your area but it has been miserablly hot in Indiana for the past several weeks and this week was no different. With dyno cell temps into the 90's and the car's coming in super hot from their drives, they still made amazing numbers. On average, we saw 40 hp gains on 93 octane and a CAI. These cars feel like a stage 1 Saleen or Whipple supercharged car above 3000 RPM. They just keep pulling and pulling. As far as the calibrations go, Brent set up the 5.0 to react the same as the 4.6 did with instant throttle response, more low end torque, more top end power, and better drivability all around. For the auto cars, he also increased the shift pressure and changed the shift schedule so it is a lot more fun to drive.

All 5.0 tunes purchased will be put into a special folder for automatic updates. Everything about these cars are new and as we learn new tricks or cool features, we will send them out to all current 5.0 tuning customers. We will be taking our 5.0's to the track once a week to put our tunes to the test and see if we can improve our product."
Old 7/24/10, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is outstanding news again for you 5.0 guys. I don't understand with the first ever 300+hp v6*matching or exceeding the factory rating of all 2009-previous gt models* in a base mustang*ie cheap I got mine for only $20,499* how come more companies haven't developed performance parts for the 3.7's what gives? Not to mention that the 3.7's we're available pretty much everywhere about a month before the 5.0
Old 7/24/10, 09:09 AM
Cobra Member

Wow those are very impressive #s.

Old 7/24/10, 09:55 AM
GT Member

Neat! Three things.....

- He said 40 HP...the sometimes-overly-suspicious person in me would like to know if that is an actual RWHP gain, or a calculated flywheel gain based on RWHP improvements?

- Is that gain going from an 87 octane stock dyno, or from 93 octane stock dyno?

- Still hard to get excited about one tune over the other until owners that have actually bought the product have it tested independently.
Old 7/24/10, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD
Neat! Three things.....

- He said 40 HP...the sometimes-overly-suspicious person in me would like to know if that is an actual RWHP gain, or a calculated flywheel gain based on RWHP improvements?

- Is that gain going from an 87 octane stock dyno, or from 93 octane stock dyno?

- Still hard to get excited about one tune over the other until owners that have actually bought the product have it tested independently.
This. All of it.

Although... if the owners of the Mustangs they used for testing are like me... their cars haven't seen 87 octane since the first tank the dealer provided.
Old 7/24/10, 01:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Neat! Three things.....

And were those runs made in 4th gear or 5th?
Old 7/24/10, 02:00 PM
GT Member

Personally, I don't care what gear the dyno runs were done in, so long as before and after were in the SAME GEAR.
Old 7/24/10, 03:38 PM
V6 Member

I'd like to see the dyno graphs before I believe any of this. 40 rwhp with a tune and cai seems hard to believe.
Old 7/24/10, 03:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Another post i seen

We traded our 08 Candy Apple GT/CS in and got a Kona Blue GT w/ 3.73 gears. I took ours to Brenspeed yesterday and had it tuned and dynoed...It made 375hp/366tq to rear wheels with no CAI. The Steeda CAI is back ordered but Brent White the owner of Brenspeed has the exact same set up as mine and put the only Steeda CAI they have gotten on his car and made 390hp to the rear in crappy Hot and Humid temps. The tune does really wake this car up, even more then the 3v ever thought about doing.
Old 7/25/10, 11:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

This is from Brenspeed

"The 40 hp gains are going from 87 to 93 tune and the addition of a new intake. Over the past week we have had a lot of 5.0's on the dyno to further our custom tuning and to see if the 5.0's had as much variation in factory power as the 4.6 did and to make sure we did not get one of the factory freaks. Gains have been very good on all cars and we are very confident that our numbers are not out of the ordinary. While most cars were over 390 rwhp with and intake and tune, several were over 390 with just a tune.

I will see if I can get Brent to post some dyno graphs on the site for your viewing pleasure.

Ford did a awesome job designing these new engines and they are responding very well to aftermarket mods.

Feel free to call if you have any questions.

574.594.9559"
Old 7/25/10, 12:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0

All 5.0 tunes purchased will be put into a special folder for automatic updates. Everything about these cars are new and as we learn new tricks or cool features, we will send them out to all current 5.0 tuning customers. We will be taking our 5.0's to the track once a week to put our tunes to the test and see if we can improve our product."

Wonder if Steeda will be doing the same kind of updates for their CAI and tune. That'be really cool.
Old 7/26/10, 06:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Personally, I don't care what gear the dyno runs were done in, so long as before and after were in the SAME GEAR.
That's not how dyno’s work. A before and after in 4th gear will show a larger gain than a before and after in 5th gear.

A lot of the dyno data I have seen on the 5.0 was done in 4th gear when it should be done in 5th. 5th on the 5.0 is 1:1 and that is what the inertia drum in the dyno is set up for. If it is run in 4th gear the calculations the dyno does are incorrect because it is assuming that the car is being run in a gear that is 1:1.

Running them in 4th will not give you an accurate before and after (the calculation is based on a percentage of acceleration) and it will not allow you to compare HP numbers with other cars.
Old 7/26/10, 07:08 AM
GT Member

I disagree. Based on conversations with those that run dynos, plus researching the question in various venues, I don't believe the dyno cares what gear the car is in - so long as you run it in the same gear for before and after results. I understand that 4th will typically show less RWHP than 5th, but that simply isn't an issue for me, as I see dyno's for what they were designed to be used: tuning tools. I've seen back-to-back-to-back dynos in 4th gear that are just as consistent as those that were done in 5th.

I will agree that 5th is the better option, simply because we are all used to seeing 1:1 dyno runs, and this gives us a better point from which to compare/contrast all runs.
Old 7/28/10, 03:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude, I dyno'd my car last week and got those numbers stock, no tune ~600mi on the car. I need to get ym internet up at home to post pics.
Old 7/28/10, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I disagree. Based on conversations with those that run dynos, plus researching the question in various venues, I don't believe the dyno cares what gear the car is in - so long as you run it in the same gear for before and after results. I understand that 4th will typically show less RWHP than 5th, but that simply isn't an issue for me, as I see dyno's for what they were designed to be used: tuning tools. I've seen back-to-back-to-back dynos in 4th gear that are just as consistent as those that were done in 5th.

I will agree that 5th is the better option, simply because we are all used to seeing 1:1 dyno runs, and this gives us a better point from which to compare/contrast all runs.
Sorry but it appears you do not understand. An inertia dyno will show more hp in 4th than 5th. Interia dyno measure acceration and then caluculate hp. That is why they calculate numbers that are often misleading. A brake dyno measures force at a constant rpm and that is hp.
Old 7/28/10, 10:20 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
Sorry but it appears you do not understand. An inertia dyno will show more hp in 4th than 5th. Interia dyno measure acceration and then caluculate hp. That is why they calculate numbers that are often misleading. A brake dyno measures force at a constant rpm and that is hp.
I'm reasonably sure I do understand what I'm talking about. However, which gear shows more (or less) RWHP is not the issue in this particular discussion.

Thanks though.
Bob
Old 7/28/10, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jay45dee
I'd like to see the dyno graphs before I believe any of this. 40 rwhp with a tune and cai seems hard to believe.
+10000000000000000000000000000
Old 7/28/10, 10:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by xkornkidx01
+10000000000000000000000000000
This is going from 87 stock to 93 tuned with CAI. So im sure it is line with everyone elses #'s.
Just looks better when you say 40.
Old 7/29/10, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I’ve built at least 500 maps using Dyno Jet Dyno’s. And I can assure you that you do not understand.
Old 7/29/10, 06:04 PM
GT Member

I haven't built any. You're the man. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Brenspeed Tune Getting 40hp!