Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Borla full catback or boss quads?

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/13, 09:19 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Borla full catback or boss quads?

I might get a chance real soon to spring for an "add on" to my Borla S types axle backs already on Marilyn.

For benefits of sound (I know that no power gains come from these mods) only, which would you choose?

Borla x pipe and over the axle pipes

http://www.borla.com/products/mustan...rt__60513.html

Or

Boss quad exhaust?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss-q...st-1113gt.html

Also, I forgot to add... Does going with an x pipe (even if from borla) make me lose that distinct decel "pop" sound?

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/6/13 at 09:54 PM.
Old 3/6/13, 10:36 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boss quads. For the price, it's a better (IMO) investment. I considered the same and am still happy with the sound from mine. I know I still owe you a video too, but it's been crappy outside and I haven't had time (work is nuts right now!).

BTW, the Boss quad system is $699 shipped from www.buyfordracing.com.
Old 3/7/13, 07:17 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
I might get a chance real soon to spring for an "add on" to my Borla S types axle backs already on Marilyn.

For benefits of sound (I know that no power gains come from these mods) only, which would you choose?

Borla x pipe and over the axle pipes

Or

Boss quad exhaust?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss-q...st-1113gt.html

Also, I forgot to add... Does going with an x pipe (even if from borla) make me lose that distinct decel "pop" sound?
These are both great systems and will pair up nicely with your Borla S-type axle back! It really depends what you're after, I can't really speak for the first system because I don't have personal experience with it. However, the Boss quad exhaust is great and we've had really awesome feedback on that system.

This is going to be a very opinionated question, but I don't think you can go wrong! Best of luck on your decision, let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance. Also, Keep in mind we do offer a 6% forums discount, as well as Price matching!

-Dan
Old 3/7/13, 10:07 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost
Boss quads. For the price, it's a better (IMO) investment. I considered the same and am still happy with the sound from mine. I know I still owe you a video too, but it's been crappy outside and I haven't had time (work is nuts right now!).

BTW, the Boss quad system is $699 shipped from www.buyfordracing.com.
Steve thanks for the info. Yes, please do a quick vid sometime soon, as this will really seal the deal on which I would get.

How would you compare your S type only setup versus your S type plus boss quad exhaust setup? Is it THAT dramatically different? Meaning THAT much better?

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

These are both great systems and will pair up nicely with your Borla S-type axle back! It really depends what you're after, I can't really speak for the first system because I don't have personal experience with it. However, the Boss quad exhaust is great and we've had really awesome feedback on that system.

This is going to be a very opinionated question, but I don't think you can go wrong! Best of luck on your decision, let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance. Also, Keep in mind we do offer a 6% forums discount, as well as Price matching!

-Dan
Hi Dan... Good to know that about the boss quads. So you have 6% for all forum members? How do we partake in that? And is shipping free? If you can match or beat buyfordracing (including shipping), I'd buy from you guys because you have great customer service. Let me know pls... Thx

Btw, anyone answer my question on decel "popping" sound? Would it go away with either setup I proposed above?

Also no welding for either x pipe option right? Since they're both after cats?

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/7/13 at 10:35 AM.
Old 3/7/13, 10:50 AM
GTR Member

Steve thanks for the info. Yes, please do a quick vid sometime soon, as this will really seal the deal on which I would get.

How would you compare your S type only setup versus your S type plus boss quad exhaust setup? Is it THAT dramatically different? Meaning THAT much better?

Also no welding for either x pipe option right? Since they're both after cats?
It's a lot better IMO. It's like going from mono to stereo sound. At low RPMs, the sound isn't intrusive, but when you get on it, you get a nice sound belting at the sides. I have mine without plates right now, and I love it. I still say it was worth every penny.

No welding for this either, just slip fit couplings like the stock H pipe you have now.
Old 3/7/13, 10:59 AM
I Have No Life

It's a lot better IMO. It's like going from mono to stereo sound. At low RPMs, the sound isn't intrusive, but when you get on it, you get a nice sound belting at the sides. I have mine without plates right now, and I love it. I still say it was worth every penny.

No welding for this either, just slip fit couplings like the stock H pipe you have now.
That's great to know Steve. I was hoping to get as much "borla" in my setup lol. I know that if I go boss quads, obviously I can't do the borla x pipe (one or other), but perhaps I can do borla over axle pipes which would go larger diameter than stock and remove the resonators. Are your over axle pipes stock?

Also, how easy is it to remove the restrictor plates? Something I have to jack the car up every time for? So might me a 30 minute job each time?
Old 3/7/13, 11:56 AM
GTR Member

That's great to know Steve. I was hoping to get as much "borla" in my setup lol. I know that if I go boss quads, obviously I can't do the borla x pipe (one or other), but perhaps I can do borla over axle pipes which would go larger diameter than stock and remove the resonators. Are your over axle pipes stock?

Also, how easy is it to remove the restrictor plates? Something I have to jack the car up every time for? So might me a 30 minute job each time?
Yes, my over axle pipes are stock. For the cost and work involved, I felt the quad setup was more worthwhile.

Changing plates is a 2-bolt affair on each side. I took mine out before install and haven't looked back. You could do it in 15-20 minutes easy I think with proper lifting tools.

My eventual plan is to sell my Borlas when I order my 2014 so I can pick up a quad tip setup, either Corsa, Borla, or 2013 GT500 mufflers, and use the discs to tune the quad setup to compliment them.
Old 3/14/13, 09:19 PM
I Have No Life

After doing a little digging, I found some vids that really showcase the difference. I found a vid that also had a borla s type axleback paired with boss quad. I then compared it to the sound of a full borla s catback system...

Frankly, I think I like the borla s catback better. Compared to just a borla s axleback, the sound is deeper a little bit more open. Compared to the boss quad plus borla, it seems to have a cleaner, more "flowing" distinct burble. The boss quad just seems to have this low pitched "gurgle" that I feel interrupts the distinct borla sound. So you end up having two sounds clashing each other.

I might have to go with borla...... What you guys think? I keep going back and forth. Here's the vids I found.

Here's borla s axleback only.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=fsDvOX72sAI&feature=relmfu

Here's borla s axleback plus boss quads

And here's the full borla catback. I think I am leaning towards this more...what you guys think?
Old 3/14/13, 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think Borla S-types are my favorite. I even love the sound of just the axle-backs.

Old 3/14/13, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

And here's the full borla catback. I think I am leaning towards this more...what you guys think?
2013 Mustang GT Borla S-Type Catback - YouTube
Hey that's my video . I got to say catback Borla S-type sounds magical.
You cant be disappointed with it, no way.
Old 3/14/13, 10:26 PM
GTR Member

Based on the videos you posted, I would say the only part of the Borla/Boss combo that sounds like mine is the outside shots. The in-car sound is off. Maybe it's his driving style, but something doesn't sound right. My Borla/Boss combo sounds like the Borla cat-back system until he revved it. I know that might sound a bit odd, but I don't think that video captures the sound as well as it should.
Old 3/15/13, 08:21 AM

I have the borla s type cat back and I can tell u it is way better than the quad exhaust. IMO.it deep at low rpms but will screen when u want it to. It "pops" a little bit when first off the accelerator but that is with the track key haven't driven it yet with the regular key so i don't know. But with the borla it is quieter in the car. with the quad coming out by the door u can really hear it in the car. The borla axle back and quad probably would sound great if u cut the resignations out. I'll sell u my boss quad exhaust for 500 +shipping if u go that route.
Old 3/15/13, 08:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yes, my over axle pipes are stock. For the cost and work involved, I felt the quad setup was more worthwhile.

Changing plates is a 2-bolt affair on each side. I took mine out before install and haven't looked back. You could do it in 15-20 minutes easy I think with proper lifting tools.

My eventual plan is to sell my Borlas when I order my 2014 so I can pick up a quad tip setup, either Corsa, Borla, or 2013 GT500 mufflers, and use the discs to tune the quad setup to compliment them.
Steve, I have the Magnaflow on my 2012 and love them.
I wouldn't worry about the over the axle pipes, save the money for another mod. I don't think those pipes are restricting sound or flow
Old 3/15/13, 09:44 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by whiteboss302
I have the borla s type cat back and I can tell u it is way better than the quad exhaust. IMO.it deep at low rpms but will screen when u want it to. It "pops" a little bit when first off the accelerator but that is with the track key haven't driven it yet with the regular key so i don't know. But with the borla it is quieter in the car. with the quad coming out by the door u can really hear it in the car. The borla axle back and quad probably would sound great if u cut the resignations out. I'll sell u my boss quad exhaust for 500 +shipping if u go that route.
So you don't like the boss quads because of the noise/sound it makes in the car?

Or are the borla full catbacks just that much better?
Old 3/15/13, 09:51 AM

The boss quads are great the borla is 10 times better just a great sounding exhaust through all the rpm range
Old 3/15/13, 12:36 PM
I Have No Life

The boss quads are great the borla is 10 times better just a great sounding exhaust through all the rpm range
I guess coming from you that means a lot. I see from your avatar, that you have/had an actual Boss 302, right? And if you actually prefer the borla catback so much, that you REMOVED your stock Boss H pipe, then that means something, right?

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/15/13 at 03:27 PM.
Old 3/15/13, 04:24 PM

Yea I have a boss and I really love my borla's Caint say enough about them. Are u wanting a deep sound or a more throaty/raspy sound?
Old 3/15/13, 05:07 PM
I Have No Life

Yea I have a boss and I really love my borla's Caint say enough about them. Are u wanting a deep sound or a more throaty/raspy sound?
Well... Put it this way, I love my borla s types. But I ran into sort of the same dilemma when I decided to replace my gt500 abs with either the s type or the boss quads. Obviously I went with borla and have been VERY happy. But the quads were a close second.

So I guess same with this case, I prolly can't go wrong, but I think I am looking for louder in general. Not sure if deeper is necessarily what I'm looking for.... Just louder and better lol
Old 3/16/13, 07:57 AM

The quad are not that loud. The borla s is loud but not obnoxious.
Old 3/16/13, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The Borla S type a/b doesnt sound too much of a difference from my gt500 a/b with the res deleted!!

Quick Reply: Borla full catback or boss quads?