Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Blowfish shifter support bracket installed!

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/14, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blowfish shifter support bracket installed!

Received the bracket on Thursday, and installed it today. The install wasn't bad at all. It's really no harder to install than any other shifter bracket, in fact it was more of a pain to remove my old barton two post! On to the good stuff. Right away, without even starting the car, the difference is amazing. Shifts are much smoother and positive, even using the stock shifter. With the engine on, it does vibrate but I have less noise than with the two post bracket. Under hard acceleration I do get a lot vibration coming through the shifter, so much that it makes the shifter rattle. Maybe some dynamat would help that but for now it's still an improvement. No crunching gears, or missing third. This thing just works
Old 9/13/14, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it really increase shifter vibration that bad ?
Old 9/13/14, 09:23 PM

Well yes it does. Keep in mind though, and I should have mentioned this, I have the 401a shifter **** and it always had a little rattle under acceleration. The bracket just amplified this. After driving around for a while I went back to the house and lowered the bracket a little bit. This seemed to help, but dynamat is definitely next. And the stock shifter is also a little pile of ****, so maybe with an aftermarket shifter the rattles will go away
Old 9/14/14, 06:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

I installed my Blowfish bracket yesterday. I have an MGW shifter and the Whiteline bushing as well. There is a noticeable increase in vibration...that's transmitted through the shifter but I do not have any additional noise. I lowered mine by about 1/8" before I tightened the 8 bolts on the sides of the bracket.

I took my wife for a test drive...we took turns driving. We both agree that this has been the single best upgrade in terms of improving shifting under acceleration. This really is a night and day situation as far as we're concerned.

Installation went fine. I have an O/R X pipe....which gave me less room to work with....but the kit is very complete and Steve has done an excellent job with instructions. I would Highly recommend this upgrade to anyone. I've been extremely pleased with my MGW shifter...but if this had been out....I might still be using the OEM shifter.

Wayne
Old 9/14/14, 11:32 AM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustang30
Well yes it does. Keep in mind though, and I should have mentioned this, I have the 401a shifter **** and it always had a little rattle under acceleration. The bracket just amplified this. After driving around for a while I went back to the house and lowered the bracket a little bit. This seemed to help, but dynamat is definitely next. And the stock shifter is also a little pile of ****, so maybe with an aftermarket shifter the rattles will go away
Do the two clamps that go on the end of the shifter box use a bushing or is it metal to metal?
Old 9/14/14, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I was afraid of the vibe issue. Even using a Steeda bracket alone with the hard black bushing tingled my hand constantly enough to make me step down to the included softer red bushing. It's gone down track over 100 times on that without problems.

This idea is fantastic but, a little hardcore for my DD, plus I've already band-aided this shifter with Whiteline bush, shifter bracket and a billet **** so, I'm committed to it as is.
Old 9/14/14, 03:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 5LHO
I was afraid of the vibe issue. Even using a Steeda bracket alone with the hard black bushing tingled my hand constantly enough to make me step down to the included softer red bushing. It's gone down track over 100 times on that without problems.

This idea is fantastic but, a little hardcore for my DD, plus I've already band-aided this shifter with Whiteline bush, shifter bracket and a billet **** so, I'm committed to it as is.
The vibration is there....but...unless you hang on to the shifter full time it shouldn't bother you. For this shifter to be extremely solid and predictable is far more important than the added vibration in the shifter **** IMHO. But...I only touch the shifter for a shift...ymmv. I road course my ride...no drag racing...so my opinions may vary a lot to those of y'all who drag race.

Guess if you've adapted to your current setup....the bracket probably wouldn't be for you. But if you have had issues getting to the right gear....the bracket goes along way to rectifying that situation.

I can say this was money well spent for my Boss....next to having AED tune it

Wayne
Old 9/14/14, 04:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Len
Do the two clamps that go on the end of the shifter box use a bushing or is it metal to metal?
Metal to metal on the clamps that attach to the shifter.

I installed mine last weekend. I was having an issue with binding or lockouts going into 3rd above 6K rpm. No other shifting issues with mine. Had the fluid change TSB about a year ago.
Have the stock shifter & did have the Energy Suspension rear bushing.
Cures the 3rd gear lockout/binding issue for sure. All the shifts are much more positive & acts like the MGW I had in my '06 GT.
Picked up increased vibration in the shifter, which was expected, I can live with that. I also have a 'rattle' in the shifter shaft/handle, not liking that. Am working on trying to eliminate the 'rattle'.
Have installed a 1/8" rubber strip under the shifter clamps, & have reduced the rattle, but not eliminated it yet. The guys with the MGW installed don't seem to have the noise issue, only the factory shifter.
Old 9/17/14, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I recently replaced my clutch and added steeda HD motor mounts. I already had steeda shifter and bracket and so far all that has eliminated any missed shifts so far. So for now I'm gonna pass on this but good to know it works and is another option